Confused With KVM on Threadripper 1900x

I apologize in advance if there is an in depth guide or a related question but I was unable to find either.

I recently bought a TR 1900x with the designare ex x399 motherboard and I still don’t understand how to get kvm working on it. I’m running debian and I would like to be able to passthrough a gpu but atm I still can’t even get a vm past the bios booting screen. I have kvm (non passthrough) running fine on my dell R710 running dual xeons and I setup this machine the same although I had to enable something in the bios and modprobe kvm_amd. When I run “sudo kvm” it gives me “warning: host doesn’t support requested feature: CPUID.01H:ECX.x2apic [bit 21]” and I don’t know how to fix it. I’ve already updated the bios to the newest version and it gives me the same error. Any help would be appreciated.

you have to patch the kernel and set certain other parameters on the most recent agesa.

So I followed this tutorial and I don’t know if I just messed it up or something but afterwards the system kept falling back to initframs or something like that so I just reinstalled debian 9. Is there an easier way to do this or a more straightforward tutorial? All the ones I found gave completely different make commands with some using make-kpkg which I don’t think debian 9 has and some using make deb-pkg which works with debian 9 but doesn’t work with the commands from the linked tutorial. Thanks for the quick reply btw

if you don’t want to compile these patched kernels yourself, there might be a copr repo or an AUR package with precompiled versions on arch, fedora respectively.

this should work unless the newest version of debian changed the patching procedure.

Is there a particular reason you’re using Debian? I ask that because I recently (yesterday) did a GPU passthrough build with a Ryzen 2700x and an Asus Mobo. I did it with Ubuntu and Fedora. I personally prefer Fedora, which is why I used it. It’s a pretty easy process imo. If you wanna use Fedora, I’d be happy to walk you through the process of what I did to get everything working!

please read the thread. The process on threadripper is not the same as on other platforms because of UEFI and kernel support issues, completely independent of distribution.

I’m just used to debian as it’s what I’ve been using for a little while on my last server. I’d prefer to use debian just because of familiarity but if fedora works better I might have to give that a try.

Also for whatever reason when I reinstalled it will boot a normal vm so I guess problem solved except now I’d like to get gpu passthrough working.

1 Like

the patch is for PCI passthrough, the parameter is to fix new agesa problems. normal VMS should work regardless.

When I try to patch it it says 5 of 6 hunks failed. If I rerun the command it says 6 out of 6 failed.

gimme a second, I know a few debian native users, gonna ask around for you,

Thanks. If it’s too much I can just switch to fedora.

I tried ignoring the 5 out of 6 hunks failed thing but then the make command just gives an error after everything compiles.

looks like a kernel mismatch. The TR patch only works on kernels newer than 4.15:

@gnif wrote it, maybe he can elaborate on this issue

This patch is no longer needed on op’s motherboard with latest uefi. Disabling psp is all you need to do. They should add an option for that to zen common options.

I think asrock might have this option

1 Like

good to know, wasn’t aware they’d changed it in firmware.

does this apply to all x399 motherboards via some AGESA or specific update or does it vary from vendor to vendor?

I’m going to have to update some articles related to this, looks like.

So I don’t need to recompile the kernel or anything? Also how would I go about disabling psp? Is that in bios or do I need to change a config file or something? Thanks for all the responses btw I really appreciate the help.

1 Like

set this kernel option on compilation

1 Like

So I still have to recompile the kernel? If so this tutorial should work if I just omit the patch command right?

1 Like