COMPUTEX 2018 news and hardware

Who cares that 28 core part has to be at least 5g is my guess no way they could cut the xeon price more thant 1/2 of current

My guess is AMD 32 core will be 1.6k ish 2k tops

I really like that Seasonic cable management thing. I really really like that thing…
It may have some issues with different cases and different cutouts and stuff, but the idea is more than good.

1 Like

Lololol I just watched that.

Using an AC unit plumbed into a water block to keep the CPU just running. 28+1 Phase power, so one per core, I admit I am a noob here no idea what that means. 4… FOUR 8 pin connectors for the CPU alone. Just wow. Their efficient they have been talking up for a long time just disappears at the high end.

All just to try, and fail, to keep up with AMD in core counts on the desktop. Though clocks are better still. ThreadRipper 2 will eat them alive on every measurable front but raw IPC.

And this is just awful…

So after going on about the fact it took a beefy water chiller to get the 5GHZ the following is written:

WTF, NO FUCKING CONSUMER can get that 5.0GHZ reliably, day in, day out. I can’t walk downstairs, just hit the power button and BAM… got 5 GHZ on 28 cores. So to gush over the overclock that was hidden in an obvious smoke screen is absurd. There is more bullshit in that paragraph but I didn’t feel like typing since TH has decided copy and paste will not be allowed.

2 Likes

Its tom’s who cares

1 Like

Its part of the complete cluster fuck of the press accepting this crap blindly.

I’m not sure we’re talking about the same thing. If we’re talking about this video then he specifically says that they are not disclosing what kind of fluid it is, just that it is not the Novec anymore. It is a phase changer, LN2 wouldn’t work with that because you wouldn’t be able to keep it in such a small tank and leave it unattended.
Realise after @noenken’s comment you were talking about Kingpins thing, forgot about that because it’s cool, but not practical in any meaningful way.

Huh, Asrock Vega cards? That seems new.

Old news, but somewhat new

AMD cards, yes. But Vega?

I only knew about the polaris based RX500 series.

Takes longer to build a coolers since vega dies are not quite level depending on hbm2 source

Soooo much salt in this video:

1 Like

I’m thinking that Intel 28 core will actually be a Cascade Lake X part instead of a binned Xeon 8180 that they had on stage.

And when I say think, I mean I know it.

Mah bois, let’s end this right here. The Intel CPU can get its own thread if need be, let’s get back to computex news.

2 Likes

OK, let me ask this…
Threadripper 32 cores on affordable somehow platform with affordable somehow boards and stuff…
Intel 28 core - server socket with server boards…? Does that mean crazy expensive server ram as well? So we are comparing desktop part (Threadripper) versus a server part - the 2066 socket intel?

No, that is the cheap one compared to this.

I like that PSU. Finally something for cable management. Hope it comes to market.

1 Like

I think intel cherry picks their product demonstrations just like AMD. Why does AMD always show cinebench? Because they recently have been doing really well in that category. Intel showing 5ghz on a cooling solution most people wouldnt do? Same thing. The only thing I think is evil is anti competitive behavior. No one will reasonably be able to achieve 5ghz, and my guess it will be a 10,000 dollar plus chip. But AMD hopefully will be priced bellow 3000 dollars. If people need intel they will go with intel, if they need to save money they will get fewer cores or go with amd.

Who cares about intel 28c at this point this is all conjecture at this point, maybe 10nm will be done by then and they will have something that can do 5ghz, who cares till offical specs come out. Also note it will be at least 5g vs AMDs 32c what should be what 2g tops as their epyc is like 2200 or so. Lets just wait for official specs from everyone since we have zero good info on any of these chips. /intel 28c thread

Edit : 32 core epyc is 2300-4600 on newegg right now

I’m thinking 2000 to 2500 for the 32 core part upon release, down to 1750 or so in 6 months.