Community Giveaway: IcyDock Stuff

The 2 x 2.5 would be interseting. I’m trying to swap away from my lenovo mini PC and grab a used xeon work station. Guess what kind of bay it still has? :sweat_smile:

I’m definitely in for the 2x2.5 bay, be great for my DIY rack mount and realistically I need to get an ODD setup again for ingest to contribute to my own archiving efforts. Still lets me have one more 5.25 to do something with.

I’d love the 24 bay but I just really don’t have the need for it for the time being let alone the 3x5.25 bays for which I have a whopping one tower that could fit it but it needs some work before it’ll be used for anything to even hook up that amount of storage.

I could use both of them.

I’m still running everything at home on various repurposed workstations (Dell 980, 3050 etc) and even mini PCs (Zotac Pico). I have a few Pi’s picking up the slack (HA, Ubuntu+Docker etc) but I really need decent centralized storage for a proper NAS instead of a mismatch of shares and tons of rsync CRONs to try to keep things working while at the same time not completely filling some random disk.

I’ve been looking into possibly picking up some old enterprise servers and throwing VMWare or Proxmox or something on them so I can virtualize almost everything.

With these, I could build a decent machine, throw on ZFS, plug these babies in and setup mounts/shares everything else can use and at least solve my storage problem for awhile.

I hope the machine overlords will see fit to bestow Wendell’s grace on me! :rofl:

i could use them to upgrade from my xserve raid with old apple 500gb ide drives and ide sata adapters for sata ssds its been awesome that its been supported to my macbookpro m1 pro

doing alot of festivals and things like djing and music work and retro apple back ups for clients sadly a 2gb fiber line and ide interface is starting to wear on me and upgrade might be years away

1 Like

I’d use it as a disk shelf for a starter NAS. Looks compact enough for a home NAS

Will use this one to move these two to the front. The nvme expander would also be a nice way of getting into that!

1 Like

I’d use both towards a TrueNAS Core server I run with Plex and UniFi Controller running in separate manually installed jails

Ooh. The twin 2.5" + ODD would be perfect for me.

I’d put it in my Define R6 workstation build. I go between the ODD and HDD caddy from time to time, and for summer I’ve had the 4 x 2.5" Silverstone thing in it but I’ve worked up a backlog of optical disks I’d need to rip at some point so out it comes and in goes the optical drive.

E: consolidate these two:

4 Likes

I’d be most interested in the monster 24 bay - itd fit perfectly in my supermicro chassis, replacing the hodgepodge of 3.5" drives currently occupying that space.

I’d be using it for dedicated zfs ssd storage in virtualized truenas to serve a threadripper pro homelab setup.

I’m interested in the “24 bay monster 2.5” adapter" It`s going to be finally a reason for me to get a sas hba , run a truenas core (BSD for the win) VM and switch all my other VMs to iscsi.

Hello there, i opt for the 25 Bay Monstrum of an all ssd iscsi Storage Solution.

The lack of cheap and suffice pcie slots in my 12th gen Server is disturbing.

I’ve only just joined the forum, mostly cause I’m researching my first home server.

I used to build large enterprise level function appliances for small businesses. My last one included the concepts mentioned in TrueNAS Scale, The Forbidden Router and Ultimate Server. I’m only just building my own now cause I have a daughter and want to start protecting her from the evil internet 🫣:wink::joy:

I actually came across the icy dock video as I have a whole heap of test HDDs (20+) Nd a couple of SSDs, which I want to use in a useful storage server and it looks like a great solution (if the HDD height fits). My better half wouldn’t want a „clutter“ (!cluster) :joy: of Servers in our small townhouse‘s utility room, so, midtower it is…

Anyway to whoever win’s congrats! Great prize!

I am interested in the icy dock mb924ip-b.
I would love to go offline ;
I have been resorting to external enclosures, RAID on motherboards & cloud-based solutions for storage.
It could be nice to win something & use what I learned from the videos!

first things first, this is my first post. Been a YT subscriber for a long time. Not sure if a first post is eligible to participate but I’m going to throw my hat in on this one because I have a VERY specific use case for the one item.

I would kill for that 24 SSD dock, at the end of 2020 my homelab went up in smoke, along with almost everything in the world that I own. So since then I have just been working my butt off to pay my bills and try to get things back in order. I’m just in the process of building the first server to put into this rack I got for free from a business that was throwing it away. (Ah, the age old tale of the rack that would be thrown away… haha) I’m staring at this chassis saying,“I need to figure out what I can put in this 3 bay area to hold 2.5 SSD’s…” I have an 8 drive 3.5 inch jbod tower for the rust. If I had that 2.5 enclosure I would stalk ebay for old intel data center DC Sxxx ssd’s and over time I would be filling it up. If I don’t win it I will probably go looking for one to buy when I am able to because it looks like just what the doctor ordered. Being broke sucks, I don’t recommend it… (two friends advocating for me after my a fire)

4 Likes

I wouldn’t mind receiving the the 24x2.5. I’ve been, over the last year, slowly, gathering parts for my first server build. I want to start a small YouTube channel for fun in my free time and this would be a load of help! My apologies, I have no pictures for extra points. I’m not sure what to take pictures of for something that doesn’t, exactly, exist yet lol

I would like from Icy dock a whole bunch of stuff.

First, the 2 2.5’’ bay and 3.5’’ bay adapter for 5.25’’ MB322SP-B:

and the NVME to 3.5’’ adapter MB601M2K-1B:

And the EZconvert MB703M2P-B:

This is for my 5.25’’ bay adapter refresh project, so it can hot swap bay NVMEs as a port saver for my Cascade Lake-X system.

I would be happy to have both of those. I will have to buy a new case to use them. I want to build a media server with my videos, music, books, and anything else that I need!

Thanks,

Mark

I have a high-speed NAS I’ve been building out and planned to use multiple 2.5" SATA SSD’s in a giant ZFS RAIDz1 or RAIDz2 pool. I’m going all in on SATA storage rather than NVMe for because I’d rather have more capacity than speed (and with my planned 16 drive array I don’t that’d be a problem.

I’d love that 24 2.5" bay adapter so I could fit all my SSD’s in the NAS. The bay supporting hotswap is a big bonus in case one or more of the drives fail, and it’d look awesome in my rackmount case.

I would love to use the 24 bay as part of an upgrade to the ancient dell server my church uses to store old service recordings.

the 24 x 2.5 would be great for either my unraid server proxmox server or i have been thinking about swapping my desktop to all ssd since ive been sound proofing my room the sound of hdds spinning is starting to bother me. i would add a picture but my cable mangment would have me mobbed and imolated