Claymore Dual Miner & Ethereum/altcoin guide

There's a great post on the forum, called "Claymore Dual Miner & Ethereum/altcoin guide".

1 Like

so meta :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I am only starting to get a itsy bitsy serious, and holy guacamole that feature list on Claymore miner is impressive.

btw, im using a xeon + single gpu and mining at 100% while doing youtube and other basic non gaming task causes lag and bag quality video, so i altered the bash to 98% and problem gone.

Hi everyone, my internet connection is a bit funky (I think my ethernet cable gets interference, I can't be replace it now, it goes all the way trough the roof), sometimes claymore keeps working but it doesn't realize it isn't transmitting data, anyone has any idea how I could fix it?
I'm on linux btw.
when this happens and I'm on the computer I just restart the networking and network-manager services. I'm thinking I could restart those services every now and then with cron?
Does anybody has a more elegant solution?

also I'm no expert so it may be something else. :frowning:

well you can check out this https://www.youtube.com/user/CableSupply and as someone who has replaced fiber in the roof and ceilings before it's not as hard as you might think.

as for the elegant solution idk sorry man.

I added -r 60 (which will close the miner and load restart.bash every hour) to the miner settings in start.bash
and added this two lines at the beginning of restart.bash which restart the network services before starting to mine again, just in case
sudo service network-manager restart | sudo service networking restart
sleep 3

Not the best solution because I'm attacking the symptom and not the cause however it'll have to do for now.

Do you have any suggestions for using this on nvidia (on linux)?
Also which is more beneficial, overclocking clock, vram or a little of both?

Here is a "start.bat" file for windows users. It serves as an example of many command line args, and gives meaningful variable names for the parameters so you don't have to constantly refer to the command line docs.

NOTE: It over-writes the epool and dpool files, but doesn't touch your config file.

It's currently configured for 2 gpu cards and enables dual mining for the alt coin of your choosing. As configured, it uses NiceHash for the pools which requires no user account and pays in BTC. Also, NiceHash has an ultra simple GUI for a beginner to start. This bat file uses the same pools, so it's a good weaning away from the GUI without getting too scary. It also allows you to use the NiceHash web site to see all your stats.

Linux users might want to look at it as a quick-start of what syntax to use for pools and command line args.

Claymore's readme was a bit too much to chomp in the first bite, so hopefully this will help someone and be useful in some way.

It will run as-is, but you'll be mining for my BTC account, so change that variable to your own BTC address unless you want to play Santa (which is appreciated, but maybe L1T has a BTC you could use?).

I tried to upload it as a file, but the forum wasn't having it, so here's a dropbox link -- I hope.

Example start.bat for Claymore's dual Etherium miner.

For Etherium, I believe you only need vram to hold the DAG and a small bit more, but add a second alt coin and I'd guess you need more than 2 GB. I've got 4 and never have issues, even if a new DAG loads after mining for a while. More vram won't equate to faster, you just need a certain minimum amount.

Overclocking works fine up to the point where it begins to actually hash less and you have to back up to hit the max hash rate. Then you tune the alt coin intensity to get max hash until it drops the Eth rate and again you back off a notch.

I can't reduce my mem clock to verify, but I've heard people say slowing the mem clock increases the hash rate a bit. I haven't seen increasing it do anything good for the hash rate, but I never got very serious with it.

I've had my R9-380 Nitro go from stock 1010 all the way up to 1100, but it hashes fastest at 1085. Both of my 390's behave the same. I'm not sure why, but it matches other people's experience. Also, 1080 to 1085 is where I game at because over that I get artifacts and random glitches. Maybe the miner is detecting bit failures and silently rehashing it which results in good end-product, but slower because it does more work to get that same hash?

Very interesting, I was suspicious that overclocking to the max was detrimental but I wasn't sure. I'll have to read more into that topic.

About 12

I just read something today that might explain some of this. Someone speculated that GDDR5 might be ECC and when either clock pushes too hard and drops a RAM bit, the ECC has to kick in and that causes an access delay to the RAM. This sounds plausible if GDDR5 is indeed ECC.

Also, I was reading another overclocking thread where someone was suggesting that when on the hairy edge, dropping the mem clock reduces the power consumed by the RAM and gives the VRM a bit more headroom for the GPU core. That also sounds like a plausible explanation for this observation by lots of random people. It could be placebo effect for all I know, because AMD won't let me LOWER any of my clocks face plant. Nothing I love more than a company trying to protect me from me.

I'm really quite new to overclocking GPUs, so take all this with a salt tablet. I'm just repeating things that I've heard a lot and that I have also observed myself. As for the "explanations", well it's just somebody's SWAG until I hear a real engineer in the field verify the idea. It might be something for @wendell to ask his Saphire buddies. I really liked that no-bullshit Saphire guy, BTW.

I'm in arch and I can't start my miner. I get this crash output:

$ ./ethdcrminer64
./ethdcrminer64: /usr/lib/libcurl.so.4: version `CURL_OPENSSL_3' not found (required by ./ethdcrminer64)

I've looked around and everywhere I look people say that its vram related, and I know thats not even true (fucking windows miners). So at this point I'm stuck and I'm not sure what to do. I had the thought last night to switch back to ubuntu so that I am more campatible with things (arch has a few things that I like, a lot, but theres a fuck load of new stuff I have found thats only on .deb systems so I am very VERY tempted).

Never mind I'm actually just going to install ubuntu. That'll actually fix more problems than 1 that I am having right now.

Ok so now the miner STARTS but I can't use it. It says it can't see any GPU's anywhere.

UNKNOWN OPTION -setx
UNKNOWN OPTION GPU_FORCE_64BIT_PTR 0
UNKNOWN OPTION -setx
UNKNOWN OPTION GPU_MAX_HEAP_SIZE 100
UNKNOWN OPTION -setx
UNKNOWN OPTION GPU_USE_SYNC_OBJECTS 1
UNKNOWN OPTION -setx
UNKNOWN OPTION GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT 100
UNKNOWN OPTION -setx
UNKNOWN OPTION GPU_SINGLE_ALLOC_PERCENT 100
����������������������������������������������������������������ͻ
�      Claymore's Dual ETH + DCR/SC/LBC/PASC GPU Miner v9.6      �
����������������������������������������������������������������ͼ
ETH: 5 pools are specified
Main Ethereum pool is eth-us-east1.nanopool.org:9999
AMD OpenCL platform not found 
No NVIDIA CUDA GPUs detected.
No AMD OPENCL or NVIDIA CUDA GPUs found, exit
./start.sh: line 7: -epool: command not found
./start.sh: line 8: -ewal: command not found
./start.sh: line 9: -epsw: command not found
./start.sh: line 10: -mode: command not found
./start.sh: line 11: -ftime: command not found

Always a good idea.

Alright, so now you're at the point where it says you have no NVIDIA or AMD GPUs. You've also got a weird series of errors in start.sh. Can you post your start.sh for us? It looks for the life of me like you have the command line switches each on their own individual line, and bash is trying to execute -epool as a command.

Also lspci -k and give us the relevant lines for your GPU(s). Just to verify that you are indeed using the proprietary drivers.

And now for the reason I came in here. FYI folks, you can indeed mine and game at the same time. The best practices for doing this are as follows:

Don't.

So my little R9 270 2GB that we were surprised actually mines has died. I went to go play a little Overwatch (had a good string of matches for once in an irritatingly long time), forgot to disable mining on that GPU, and the magic smoke came out.

Ha, well, I'm actually giving up on linux mining I think. I'll just throw a windows 10 drive I have spare laying around in my machine and just mine in windows and if I have troubles I'll come back. I thought about it and honestly I need arch more than I need a miner, so I went back. I see a lot of people minte on windows and you know what, it will just be easier to follow them.

As for my GPU, I don't think I can install FGLRX for my 580.

You'll need the AMDGPUPRO drivers for that one. AMD's woogidy drivers are one of two reasons I went to mining in Windows. My R9 270 needs the FGLRX drivers, which don't work with any modern display manager anymore. And my RX 480 uses AMDGPUPRO, or AGP as I will now call it for humorous reasons and because AMDGPUPRO is hard to say in casual conversation.

The other reason was to test out the Claymore software in Windows. Everyone was asking whether or not there was a performance hit to going to Windows. Based on my experience with Hashcat I had said that there really shouldn't be. However, my RX 480 lost about 2MH/s under Windows 7 vs Ubuntu (~22MH/s vs ~24MH/s). In spite of that, I stayed with Windows for mining because my R9 270 which was now available to me clocked in at ~5.8MH/s, I had a net win. Now that the R9 270 is gone, I'll go back to Ubuntu. My work has suffered with Windows being on my main machine. But overall I felt this was a worth while test for the forum.

As for firing up Claymore in Windows vs Claymore in Linux, I've pretty well just copied the executable line from my Windows box to a Linux mining box. If nothing else, Claymore is super portable.

Neat. It seems to me that claymore in linux operates off of old old packages that are kept in ubuntu? Am I getting that right? In order for me to use it in my arch install it seems that I have to find packages in the AUR that no longer exist....

At any rate, I've also been thinking about my R7 370. Its a 2GB and its just a display card in my mac pro 1,1. Can I use that machine to mine? Would it be viable for me? I have El Cap installed and it all runs great.

You shouldn't mine Ethereum with 2gb cards, other coins can still be mined however.
Pretty sure DAG file size is above 2gb by now.