Claymore Dual Miner & Ethereum/altcoin guide

i see myself on their site generated something like 0.00000924 ETH so far.

opened port 8888 and the problem persist

reboot fixed it doign around 26 mh/s no errors on linux mint

has someone any idea how those exchange markets work? I have never done trading and I'm not sure if I even got the whole concept.

so you have your [ANY TYPE OF COIN] and its measured in BTC. for example:

you have BLC and trade them into LTC and into BTC and into USD. the idea is, that the exchange rate from BLC into LTC into BTC in some sense gives you/me a nice amount of USD.

right? honetly, no idea. is this how this works?

Exchanges work a bit like a stock exchange, or most exchanges really.
Poloniex has trading between different coins to bitcoins, and some of the most major coins to USDt (fiat coin locked to USD value)

found it

When you mine, is it structured so that each completed mine grants the miner a couple ether? Or is it structured so that every time you complete a mine you have a chance of getting ether?

I have been mining for a hour or so, what should claymore output when I get currency?

is it

SHARE FOUND - <GPU 0>

or does

SHARE FOUND

mean that it found a mining job to do?

not sure if this is the right place to ask

found it here

But how if the config is set like above, when do they divide up the total? How do you track how many shares you have mined?

So am I right in thinking that at about 350 for a card making about 4.50 a day it will pay itself off in 77 days.

Any costs I am missing out on?

Electricity perhaps? That quickly amounts to a 15-25% of your earnings.

Where do you plan to get a card that cheap? I just checked, and there are no new RX470, 480, 570 or 580 cards available here in Belgium at all. Most of the 1070s are sold out too and the ones available go for 500+ €.

Electricity is factored in.

Allowing for error call it 80 days.

The price is speculative.

Hmmm now will this stuff stay up for 2 months is the bet.

Don't bet anything you can't afford to lose and you should be fine. It's only money.

If the market crashes, you can still use your miner(s) to heat the house or at least a room during the winter, which will reduce the overall heating costs while making you a bit of money.

TBH I expect it to crash soon, but I do expect it to go up again within the year. If everyone stops mining during the crash, there'll be more BTC/Eth/etc for those that keep mining. Sure, it may not be worth anything at that point in time, but if the price goes up again those bitcoins you got on the cheap will have some value again.

Calculate the worst-case scenario in which you can still break even.
I did the maths for my own situation. Given that I already have a rig and would only need to invest in 3 more graphics cards (1070s, seeing as everything else is unavailable here), my cards should pay themselves back in 4 months time at the current going rate.
If the BTC crashes tomorrow and stays at 740€ (830-ish $ US) forever, I'd still get my full investment back by the time the 2-year warranty on the cards expires. That includes the cost of electricity.
That's all at the current difficulty level. As I said earlier, if the price crashes, there will be fewer people mining and the difficulty level goes down, which means the reward in BTC goes up.

I honestly doubt that the BTC will drop that low, especially with demand in China being on the rise.

I am just looking to start so 1 1070 for now.

Though I can get a blower 480 for 300. So there is that.

But it would take about 2 months to pay off the card which ever I get. Or 3 if I went brand new with warranty. I can eat the cost of the card and should it all go south sell the card and get some of it back so it is break even either way within the next 2-3 months.

I am just sitting here with cash in hand and thinking that it will be 2 month before I even think of seeing it again if I do it. I could add another card every 3 weeks or so but that extends the pay back time. So basically it is not profitable for at least 6-8 months estimating for 3 cards. And even at that it is only $15 a day when they are. So 100 ish a week at that point so I could drop in another card every 4-5 weeks "for free" but still not getting a cent out of it at that point as it is still sunk cost.

Sure free money but it does not seem worth it with that much lead time.

Buying cards for higher than retail price is not something I suggest beginners do, especially when mixing amd and nvidia cards on the same system as drivers "can" be a bit wonky sometimes.

Small update on my system, AX1500i arrived and I'm running all my Fiji cards now at 950mhz, undervolted heavily to reduce power consumption.

Total power draw from the wall is 1100w~, PSU efficiency at 94%.
Okay power draw considering I'm running dual mining on a X99 system with a 4.4ghz 5820k, thought about CPU mining as well but mining monero right now is pretty poor for CPUs, only 400-500usd for even more power draw.

Edit, paying 5 cents per kwh of electricity, cheap Norwegian hydro power for the win.

Here's a quick 'n' dirty LibreOffice spreadsheet I made to calculate profits over time. As long as you enter all the correct numbers in the white areas on the left, it should give you a pretty good overview of the costs and rewards over an extended period of time (the spreadsheet covers about 8 years in total, can be extended as far as you like).
This doesn't account for the halving of rewards in 2020, nor does it account for the difficulty changes, but it's good for getting an overview at the current level and rewards.

I didn't put anything malicious in there and I'm fairly confident that my PC is virus-free, but feel free to scan it anyway.

EDIT : going to add a copy saved in Excell format, for those who only use MS Office. Just gimme a few minutes.
EDIT 2 : Here's the Excell version : link

2 Likes

your mining pool should have a way to track your individual progress with your wallet. im using nanopool and in the upper right corner there is a a search bar you can put your wallet into to see your progress.

1 Like

Cool I will check this out later when I am on my main PC. Thanks.

got it up and running on my 290. avg for a month if i let it run all day and night is $120 for ethereum and $40 for Siacoin. which is not bad but it is not great.

So I just learned something handy. I've only got 1 system available for mining, and unfortunately it's my main desktop. What I was planning on doing is using my R9 270 2GB card for gaming and whatnot, and building a system for my RX 480 4GB to do mining. But that hasn't worked out yet. So I throw both cards in my desktop and mine off of both of them.

But this is irritating because when I want to game, I have to stop mining. Aha! But no I don't! I can just hit 1 and it will disable mining on my R9 270! Woooo! Then I can game, and when I'm done gaming I can re-enable the R9 270 for the piddly 5.7MH/s it offers. ... For whatever that's worth, which is apparently 55 shares over an 18 hour period... :expressionless:

1 Like

That's one thing I should put into my OP, I use to disable my master GPU all the time when I'm playing games and mining in the background.
Also surprised that you can even mine on the 2gb 270 at all, I thought the DAG file has gone above 2gb now.

They may have. I may be sharing video memory with the 4GB card, or some weird crap like that. I've noticed that a 2GB card cannot mine alone. But whatever it is, it's not negatively affecting the performance of the 4GB card that I can tell. But I figure for an extra 5MH/s, might as well let it churn.

Is it going to be worth my time mining with a R5 1600 and GTX1050ti?

If you think you are going to get rich, then no. If you are doing it for some fun, yes. Pick an altcoin and mine away!!!!!! It's fun.

Ok then I guess the next logical question is. How?

I have a wallet trader account on poloneix.