Claymore Dual Miner & Ethereum/altcoin guide

You are right, poloniex isn't the best place to mine to, it was just a test to see if i get less rejections.
I still got everything rejected.

some time later

I have never had any rejected shares mining eth directly to Poloniex, I'm not sure how decred works in that regard.

Also friendly reminder to anyone with just 1 card or somesuch you can still mine for a while whilst it's profitable now, and buy steam games with what you earn by trading your Eth in for bitcoins.
Usually it isn't a great idea to buy lots of hardware dedicated for mining unless you get both hardware cheaply and power cheaply, but if you already have the hardware it can help return some of your investment.

How many GPU's can you connect to a single motherboard? I plan to use Linux so the Windows GPU limit is of no concern to me.

As for mining profitability, I fear by the time I can afford some basic hardware for the job, that it will become unprofitable for me region as I pay upto 30cents for power which is quite high I'm told.

I'm not sure, but if your motherboard supports bifurification and you have enough ways to connect the cards I'm unsure if there is a limit.
But for a normal set up there is a 7 gpu limit in the windows drivers.

You'd have to go ask the linux wizards when it comes to multi gpu virtualization.

My understanding is the cards can run on 4x PCIe since they don't need high speed connection to CPU/ram etc.. So thus you can use these raiser/split off boards to connect 4 cards to a single slot for example. Then you get efficient PSU's and connect them up separately to the GPU's, so in theory its possible to have 16-20 cards or so on a single system doing jobs.

I really envy those who have the capital to get into this early enough before it all crashes and becomes pointless (about the time I do it).

You can mine on a single pci-e 3.0 lane without any impact in hashrates, usually there is very little information going to the GPU when it's mining.
I ran a r9 Fury from pci-e 3.0 x16 to x1 with a USB riser to test, no impact on hashrates.

looking at Rx470/570/480/580 as a potential option in the future (ill start with couple cards) with custom bios settings (which I'm told helps).

thanks for the reminder but my problem still is that i don't have an answer to why i get total rejection.
Even 10 cards won't change that.

If you get everything rejected regardless of what you do with poloniex you need to set up your own local wallets.

I haven't mined with decred so I can't tell you much about that, thought I don't imagine it being very different to set up than siacoin.

found a linux tutorial https://www.meebey.net/posts/ethereum_gpu_mining_on_linux_howto/
my questions are etc or eth? are the coins the same either way? and what pool? how does one use the wallet to do things?
also is this guy right about linux being 4x better then windows?

Linux isn't 4 times better than windows, it all depends on various things.
Linux might be slightly better with some cards and drivers, but not better at all with other drivers.

This thread is more meant for people who already own a bit hardware and don't do large scale mining, mostly to help them set up the mining software.

1 Like

thats me to a T. also help

when i do the "ethminer -M -G" command i get this. using the ethminer program from the ppa and linux mint with a gtx 1070. any hints as to what i did wrong?

I want to do this stuff but it looks impossible for me to comprehend. : S I had started a thread somewhere on here looking for help but got so many suggestions and choices. Anyway I have free power to use so yeah I want to make money at this as I really could use the money. I have a Windows 7 64 bit pc with an Intel cpu i5 2500K and a GTX 670. I know that is pretty old hardware but still my pcs at times just sit here doing nothing. I shouldn't have them doing nothing with free power. Is there not an easy way to do this?

tl;dr
windows is easy linux is not

I don't know, I'd assume you need the same commands that one would use in the windows .bat file when launching ethminer.
I am no linux wisurd.

2gb cards and under cannot mine ethereum anymore, sorry.

Thanks for that information.

im now using
"
export GPU_FORCE_64BIT_PTR=0
export GPU_MAX_HEAP_SIZE=100
export GPU_USE_SYNC_OBJECTS=1
export GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT=100
export GPU_SINGLE_ALLOC_PERCENT=100

./ethdcrminer64 -epool eth-us-east1.nanopool.org:9999 -ewal (wallet id, name, & email) -epsw x -mode 1 -ftime 10
"

but
im getting a lot of error 98's. it's doing hashes and getting hot but idk if it's working. havent seen a coin as of yet.

Search your wallet id on nanopool's site and see if you're getting any hashes done.
I think error 98 is something about ports.

Try the quickstart confiugration generator on https://nanopool.org/ 's site.

1 Like