Cinebench R15 cpu+overclocking score

Not bad for a system still running 8Ā½ year old parts. Mac Pro 4,1 patched to 5,1.

I actually really like these things. The case alone is still one of the best looking ones I have ever seen and guess what, tons of air can flow through it when necessary. Take that, NZXT, Inwin, Fractal and whatever!

Today it is running the sapphire 580+ Nitro SE as main GPU and the memory was upgraded to 24GB 1333MHz a while ago. In this config it should be fine to make it at least to a decade.

1 Like

I am not really into overclocking so here are some lower scores for the parts. No screenshots since I needed to process the data in bulk. The scores below are the average of multiple runs.

raw data and summary thread.

FYI: Ryzen 7 1700 @ stock (3.0 Ghz) w/SMT=Off scored about 1k

The scores above are at 2400 Mhz RAM. I did a short retest 2666 Mhz but the score was the same, or within margin of error rather.

CineBench R15 is really sensitive to background tasks. Other benchmarks are not.

If anyone is getting low scores, try disabling background tasks/disconnecting from the net.

3.7ghz and ram at 2933

1 Like

i7 7820x @ 4.9ghz

i7 3770k at 4.7 Ghz/1.28 V (ran the test 6 times to get an average scoreā€¦ you can do the math :smile: )

1 Like

7600k at 5.3ghz core / 4.6ghz cache 1.46v (with a bit of overshoot due to LLC) on an Asrock z170 Gaming k6
Donā€™t mind CPU-Z saying the multiplier only goes to 50.

Nice score for an i5 :slight_smile:

r7 1700 @ 3.75ghz

Could easily push it more but I like it being quiet

That is actually outperforming my 1700X stockā€¦

Weirdlly enough, that isnt the first time i heard and seen that.
Not sure what the actual deal is with the 1700X in particularā€¦?

Mobile chips ok here?
i7-8550u

I can tell you. When I push this thing it barely crosses 3,65GHzā€¦ I mean the thermals are fine, Iā€™m not letting it go above 50 C, I thought itā€™s my boardā€™s VRM heating up a bit too muchā€¦
Then I rendered a video to test some stuff with Vegas 14 - 70-85% isage and not more than 3,65GHzā€¦ Donā€™t know whyā€¦ It just doesnā€™t go 100% and 3,8 at the same timeā€¦

Which motherboard is it?
If you run the cpu not overclocked and you put a load to it that utilizes all the cores.
Then the XFR doesnt do anything i guess?
3.7GHz is the starting speed.

Asrock B350 PRO4ā€¦ The VRM heatsink goes so hot, I canā€™t hold my finger on it. I can barely touch it.

Itā€™s base is 3,4 and itā€™s supposed to boost to 3,8, but I donā€™t pass 3,7ā€¦ As for the XFR, I thought it was for a single core, not really all core all thread boost?

Yeah thats correct, i was mixing up with the 1800X numbers.
The XFR boost is only for 1 core indeed as far as i know.

Also i dont want to offend you or anything,
But that motherboard is kinda garbage yeah.
Not really suprising that its getting that hot.
Throttling could be verywell the reason why you cant get higher on it.

1 Like

Hereā€™s the dealā€¦

I know. My expectations were to grab 1200 or if I was lucky - 1600 at best. I found 1700X on crazy good sale. I just got it.
I know itā€™s a bad board. If I knew I would get Ryzen 7 I would have looked at X370, but I was really not planing an 8 coreā€¦
Itā€™s fine though. I would rarely push it that hard, and it renders way way faster than expected, so I will not really punish the board. Still itā€™s having decent heatsinks. Those things are massive. And I have 6 case fansā€¦

You are not. I know itā€™s a derpy comboā€¦ 80 Euro board with 250 Euro CPUā€¦

1 Like

Still i can totally understand the combo pick.
I mean you can allways trow the board out at some point, and pick a better one.
I would have done the same if a 1700X was on such a great a sale.
Because the 1600X was at a similar price tag that time arround here.

I mean a 1600 (X) isnt going to give you better performance in rendering.
Even if the current 1700X gets throttled somewhat.

1 Like

I am doing exactly the opposite of what I did the last time. The last time I had more expensive board than the CPUā€¦ It was funnyā€¦ Now I have way more powerful CPU than what the board can handle. I am thinking (but still afraid) of ondervolting the CPU to help the VRMs. I donā€™t really know what to do, where to start, how to test and am afraid not to screw up something, cause I canā€™t afford to replace even a single fan at the moment. My guess is lower voltages will lower the load on the VRMs.
Anyways, I got 1550 on cinebench R15. I checked some reviews, they were having 1540-1550 range, so I donā€™t really know. It could be the ram, that boosts @flazza score, but then again, I am running 2666MHz and still match the review scoresā€¦
So may be he is just that good of an overclockerā€¦

Memory speeds definitelly helps with tight timings.
But i guess that the board also wont play that nice with memory overclocking either.
Allthough i could be wrong at that point though.
But if the heatsink really feels that crazy hot,
then i would personally run it at clockspeeds, if that doesnt impact rendering times all that much in the realworld.
Because in the end the render times realworld is what matters mostlly to you i guess?
Not really the numbers that a synthetic benchmarks could be able to reach.

Still 3.65Ghz on all 8 cores isnt too bad.
Probablly the most you can get out of the board without,
the possibillity to burn out the mosfets at some point.
Its only a 3 phase board, so that doesnt really help it either regulation wise.
Allthough they doubled up the components to get more surface area.