Chris Titus: Stop Using Apt

This is interesting

Disclaimer: before I ask for opinions. Stop and ask yourself if you are the right user with the right experience for using and fixing such a things breakages

Other than that enjoy the video and id love to hear perspectives below. Mine is that nala is a much needed piece of software that makes a point about apt. I think eventually all of this will be incorporated into apt BUT this awareness needs to be raised.

3 Likes

What if you use aptitude?

6 Likes

I’m not entirely sure? I haven’t used aptitude in agggesss… I think since uhmm 16.04? (Wow that’s 6 year ago jesus)

I’m not entirely sure if it’s a drop-in replacement like it is for apt.

Do you want to expand on this?

I might test this out on popOS. Might being the operative term. If I have issues ill revert to my traditional method of package management

But that’s just one more thing to install! Call me crazy, but the less stuff I install, the better

7 Likes

thats fair. Then again if I think about it. If less installed packages are the goal. Why would one use ubuntu instead of say Debian or better yet arch?

2 Likes

What’s APT?

Automated Package Thrashing /s

We get it you use arch comes to mind LOL. I used to for a long time until eventually the constant bleeding edge bit me due to ZFS.

One of the reasons I moved away from ubuntu was all the repository bs and the constant need to build dependencies on certain things. Its slightly better now but you would think that if there was no install candidate given the current system that “build-dep” would occur automagically lol

3 Likes

I use Debian, which has apt installed by default (At least, it always has been for me)

2 Likes

Im curious. Now do you use debian sid or do you use stable? Im only curious because I see debian sid as a viable rolling release. Slower than arch. Seemingly more stable but chris is the only dude I know that runs it LOL as a daily

Ha! That’s fantastic lol I gotta use that :rofl:

LOL yea I had to make the move from Ubuntu basically for the same reason. Debian based distros just aren’t my jam. Plus I can’t help myself but to constantly tinker lol

I have this problem as well. Thats why my eventual goal on this laptop is FreeBSD 14 + virtualizing whatever distro I want to mess around and tinker with. Thats a whole other story of FOSS memes about wifi not working id rather not get into that LOL. Im a big fan of RHEL when hosting but that’s the extent to where I use it. Ive gotten experienced enough I can handle them all its just which annoys me less?

That said:

feel free to. I think @SgtAwesomesauce and I have both used “Automated Package Thrashing” as a term to describe apt at least once.

2 Likes

Yea I actually run Manjaro KDE on my main laptop just because of usability and it’s gorgeous and lightweight. I do most of my work on my laptop and admittedly, Manjaro is just easier to deal with on a daily basis.

My main desktop though, well that’s Arch and a totally different story lol

do you want me to tell you my biggest gripe about this otherwise really good distro.

Well my main desktop converted to server duties. It sits on rocky linux LOL. I literally got tired of every week having to reinstall ZFS in sequence haha. I was ass mad raging so hard. I was like

WHAT HAPPENED TO SIMPLE lol

Anyways I just installed nala for kicks. I do kind of like it but I’m not entirely sure what it provides other than looks over aptitude. Hmmm need to investigate more

2 Likes

I use stable, but I have to disclose that I don’t use it as a desktop OS, only servers.

Pop_OS Is the closest I’ve gotten to a desktop Linux OS, but its still not quite there yet for me. I use MacOS on laptops and Windows on Desktops and my VDI machines

1 Like

All fair by me. Use the best tool for your job.

In that case debian stable makes a lot of since. As a desktop I found stable too old with LMDE only making the user experience less painful

1 Like

> or better yet arch
topkek

> Manjaro
> Lightweight
lmao

I watched the video on nala a few weeks ago.

I think it had delta updates, and most importantly, install history. You can install junk and then revert back to a previous configuration. And I think it also had a fastmirror option, to refresh the mirrors that are faster? It’s not just aesthetic. Although I am curious if it is as scriptable as apt-get, because holly molly, I got my ass bitten by apt in scripts quite a few times.

If I am ever going to use a Debian family distro, I’ll probably install nala, but nowadays that’s going to be a hard thing to do for me, unless maaaybe I run armbian, which also seems very unlikely.

1 Like

I don’t get the slow mirror point, I’ve never really had a problem with mirrors being slow? Even if they are “slow”, packages are so small it doesn’t really matter

Maybe I’m not installing enough packages!

5 Likes

yup I just found that installing texmaker and updated texlive. I used the mirror feature already and man did it speed up my stuff

it gets annoying when you live in utah for example and instead of choosing the server literally down the street from me at xmission and university of utah… it chooses some mirror over in Florida because of bandwidth and total release download time (which is what you want)

In my mirror list I usually choose the closest universities and fiber backbone companies for my mirror list now

1 Like

I’m sure it’s not an issue for you, but keep in mind that closer doesn’t always mean closer

For example here in Houston, the majority of our traffic hits Dallas first. So if we connect to something in Houston, it often goes Houston > Dallas > Houston. But if we connect to something in Dallas, it goes Houston > Dallas and cuts the latency in half

I realized this when I was looking for a colo provider and all of the ones in Houston had pretty poor latency to my connection

3 Likes

oh yes I know that much for sure

that’s rough. I live next to SLC and it hits SLC first. My issue with it grabbing a mirror in new york or Florida isn’t that the mirror isn’t capable of being fast its that some god forsaken stupid node beyond my control in between throttles the crap out of me and I watch my speed plummet. That gets annoying lol

The main problem in the auto detection before is it doesn’t test it long enough to catch that throttle point. I hate traffic shaping lol

1 Like