Choice of a new motherboard

I took an executive decision to buy a 60€ replacement board… The cheapest decently VRMed board I can find…

1 Like

I’d suggest “screw asrock” and go asus based on the tardiness of the BIOS support on my X470 Taichi, and the bugs i’ve experienced with bios upgrades.

ASUS have better memory timings as well.

ASrock = good hardware. Crap bios support.

1 Like

I usually go for looks as well, but for now I will either get a cheap board to tie me over or hold on till the 500 boards and see what they will offer…

Yeah the Asrock bios seems to go a bit downhill on Ryzen lately.
I’m not sure what is up with that.
Asus definitely has the best bios overall, but that is also one of the reasons why Asus,
is the the leading company in motherboards pretty much.
But that status of course also comes with a premium price.

Still Asrock definitely has upped their game when it comes to their higherend motherboards.
But on the bios site of things there is still allot to improve on.
But i wouldn’t claim that Asrock has the worst bios of them all.

1 Like

I’m still split between waiting for 500 series boards, buying a cheap one just to have something functional and saving a bit more and actually getting something good X470 or B450…

Maybe you could just buy a cheap board with a reasonable vrm,
and wait for the new 500 series boards to come out.
And then till the time those hitting the market, you can allways decide to upgrade.

You can then sell your current cpu + mobo combo.

2 Likes

Maybe I’ve missed it, but what exactly is wrong with the mb you currently have?

Concerning the boards: In my experience, MSI is overpriced when compared to the others. Also, other vendors have better mosfets.
I currently own a X370 Taichi and I’m pretty content. I haven’t had any BIOS related problems thus far (fingers-crossed), but I also wait a couple of months before upgrading a BIOS.

From the boards posted above I’d probably be torn between the ASRock B450 (because 4xx) and Gigabyte X370 (love the dual bios).

1 Like

Is this a general ASRock practice?

Basically it doesn’t boot properly. I have to reset it 3 - 4 times before it boots…
My board have absolutely no troubleshooting features what so ever.
I have tested almost all components and it was working just fine until out if nowhere in november…
I have tried a billion and one things, the board have killed my mech keyboard, I think the kyboard mouse USB ports are dead…

IDK…

1 Like

Ok that sucks :frowning: - Shouldn’t there still be some kind of warranty on your board. (When searching for “warranty” it comes up a couple of times in your thread).
Anyway, I’d try a new MB as well. Thanks for linking the thread :wink:

1 Like

I send the board back to the retailer. They tested it, they said “Works flawlessly.” So I asked them to update UEFI, they did - nothing…
Same issue.
I had an FM2+ platform so I used it - no issue what so ever…

My guess is it’s some incompatibility between ram, cpu, gpu and mobo… I have absolutely no idea…

Yeah for the cheaper lineup of boards maybe.
We have also seen this on the B350 boards aswell.
But of course for a board that costs less then $100,- bucks,
its not that big of a deal.
But if they would do this with like $150,- + boards, then that would be unacceptable.
And Asrock uses some pretty decent components on their semi to highend lineup of boards generally.

Like Msi with the X370 Xpower titanium board selling it as highend.
But in reality they used the same cheap Niko mosfets as on their lowerend boards.
They just used the IR35201 pwm instead of that Richtek.
So you got some better digital controls etc.
But other then that, there is nothing highend on that boards vrm.
And they definitelly did get some critics for that. :wink:

1 Like

Not the worst, sure. But the X470 Taichi is spoiled by crap BIOS support. It’s supposed to be a premium board. No point having the insane VRM if you can’t run memory at decent clocks and the bios in general leaves you wanting for features like AGESA updates forever.

Ok glad to hear. You had me worried for a minute, given I own a X370 Taichi.

On the Taichi Asrock uses 40A / 25A Ti nexfets CSD87350D powerstages.
Those are decent. :slight_smile:

at least here in Germany, if they fail to fix it after 3 trys, they have to take it back and pay you back fully.

Eu? I do have a repaired and fairly cheap Asus Crosshair vi Hero laying around.
And the Used market is also a thing, that board can be had for 120€ in good condition, which is actually pretty good.

1 Like

U selling?
Local used market is garbage… I don’t trust it with that kind of stuff…

well, depends on what you want and how much i have to fidle with it before.

“Repaired”.
I have two, one had Liquid metal in the wierdest places, including under one ram-slot.
And the other one was pretty roughed up, had liquid damage, and i smiered vaseline all over it because friends and me went sub ambient with it. This is the least tested board though. Did OC well though.

So basically I better get new one…
I’ll just get something cheap until 500 chipsets come out and then I will see what can I get…

if “safe as in less likely to make problems and under warranty” is what you want, probably.

But that’d be boring right ?
And the first RMA i ever had was user error.
The second, some things i did miss. Testing boards is hard and takes time, And i’m lazy, And i have no time … : (