Choice of a new motherboard

So with all issues I have with my current system I decided to get a new motherboard.
Since my finances are massively limited, the choice is not really all that large at all.

Currently I am torn between two models:
Asrock B450 Fatal1ty K4 (90€)
Asrock X370 Killer SLI (105€)

The B450 have newer chipset, therefore better support, so probably should clean whatever issue there is…
The X370 is … White … Basically that’s it. X370 and white colour. Nothing special.

I was thinking of X470, but that puts 40€ on top of everything else and I’m not even 100% sure it’s the motherboard, that causes the issues.

So basically the question comes down to X370 or B450?

1 Like

X370 if you plan to overclock or if it has some particular feature the B450 doesn’t support (ECC ram, better VRM cooling, wifi,etc), make sure you check with the vendor if they updated the firmware. Otherwise check if the X370 has a instant flash.
B450 if you want to try to solve your issue and are planning to do some mild overclocking. Bonus is you save some money.

I’d lean towards the B450, and only consider the X370 if the X370 board has features I need and the vendor updated the firmware

1 Like

No OC what so ever. Main goal is solving the issues I have in boot…
There aren’t any features I want in any of those…

1 Like

Unless you plan to run CF or SLI, then I would say B450.

VRM is the same on most boards anyway.

1 Like

Is Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite any good?
Visually is pure garbage, but other than that…

Right…
So I have a huge selection and I really need some advice…
I am looking at those models:
ASROCK B450 Fatal1ty K4 (the cheapest option)

MSI Krait B350 (I just like the look of it)

Gigabyte X370 Gaming K3 (best features)

I am willing to look at other models if there is a compelling case for them, but I am really lost ATM for a choice.

1 Like

The Msi Krait board has the better vrm of those boards above.
The only let down of these Msi boards is probablly the bios.
Because they dont support off set voltage, so precission boost will be useless.
However on a non X cpu, that generally wouldnt matter all that much.
They use Niko mosfets which are kinda cheap and not fantastic.
However since Msi has doubled up the components on each phase,
So combined they generally dont suck as much.

I dont know how the vrm situation is on that new Gigabyte Aorus B450 Elite board.
Its a 4+3 phase board, but i need an actual picture of vrm without heatsink,
to determine if they did gimp on the highside mosfets as they have done on some other B450 boards.
Which generally isnt great, allthough if you dont overclock a 1700,
then it probablly wont really matter all that much.
Highside mosfets generally dont have to deal with high current loads that long as the low side mosfets.
But still taking one highside fet off for the sake of cheaping out,
is a little bit meh i guess.

I would probablly go with the Msi Krait or the Gigabyte in this case.

The Asrock board is the least efficient board of the bunge.
Because its only a 3 phase.
And what i also personally dont like about it, is that the mosfets used are a mix bag.
Just depending on the production line and what they had in stock,
you can either get niko mosfets or sinopower.
The sinopower are slightlly better then the Niko´s.
But just the fact that there boards with different mosfets on them,
is kinda meh…

But of course also take in concideration that you wont overclock your cpu as much.
So generally all those boards will basically work.
So yeah compair the features they offer for their price.

3 Likes

So my choice is between the Krait and the Gaming K3…
I’ve heard some voltage issues with that Gigabyte board… Some people report 1,5 constant core voltage…
Does the krait have any crippling issue like that, cause I usually don’t pay attention to MSI…

1 Like
2 Likes

I’m not overclocking.
I’m running 1700X off of a 3phase board right now.
My issue is there is some bug, that forces me to replace the motherboard.
I don’t really mind the VRM…

PS: ASROCK Fatal1ty X370 Gaming X is cheaper than the MSI Krait and is packed full of features …

I will never choose a motherboard :sob:

Get a black one.

1 Like

I’d love to… But there is nothing with the feature list, the price and the looks I want, so I will have to ignore one…

I personally really like the Asrock Fatality boards asthetic wise.
So yeah like you allready mentioned, if you dont care about overclocking that much.
Then either of those boards would work fine.
i would just go with the board that offers the most features for the money.

2 Likes

I took an executive decision to buy a 60€ replacement board… The cheapest decently VRMed board I can find…

1 Like

I’d suggest “screw asrock” and go asus based on the tardiness of the BIOS support on my X470 Taichi, and the bugs i’ve experienced with bios upgrades.

ASUS have better memory timings as well.

ASrock = good hardware. Crap bios support.

1 Like

I usually go for looks as well, but for now I will either get a cheap board to tie me over or hold on till the 500 boards and see what they will offer…

Yeah the Asrock bios seems to go a bit downhill on Ryzen lately.
I’m not sure what is up with that.
Asus definitely has the best bios overall, but that is also one of the reasons why Asus,
is the the leading company in motherboards pretty much.
But that status of course also comes with a premium price.

Still Asrock definitely has upped their game when it comes to their higherend motherboards.
But on the bios site of things there is still allot to improve on.
But i wouldn’t claim that Asrock has the worst bios of them all.

1 Like

I’m still split between waiting for 500 series boards, buying a cheap one just to have something functional and saving a bit more and actually getting something good X470 or B450…

Maybe you could just buy a cheap board with a reasonable vrm,
and wait for the new 500 series boards to come out.
And then till the time those hitting the market, you can allways decide to upgrade.

You can then sell your current cpu + mobo combo.

2 Likes

Maybe I’ve missed it, but what exactly is wrong with the mb you currently have?

Concerning the boards: In my experience, MSI is overpriced when compared to the others. Also, other vendors have better mosfets.
I currently own a X370 Taichi and I’m pretty content. I haven’t had any BIOS related problems thus far (fingers-crossed), but I also wait a couple of months before upgrading a BIOS.

From the boards posted above I’d probably be torn between the ASRock B450 (because 4xx) and Gigabyte X370 (love the dual bios).

1 Like