Choice of a new motherboard

Is this a general ASRock practice?

Basically it doesnā€™t boot properly. I have to reset it 3 - 4 times before it bootsā€¦
My board have absolutely no troubleshooting features what so ever.
I have tested almost all components and it was working just fine until out if nowhere in novemberā€¦
I have tried a billion and one things, the board have killed my mech keyboard, I think the kyboard mouse USB ports are deadā€¦

IDKā€¦

1 Like

Ok that sucks :frowning: - Shouldnā€™t there still be some kind of warranty on your board. (When searching for ā€œwarrantyā€ it comes up a couple of times in your thread).
Anyway, Iā€™d try a new MB as well. Thanks for linking the thread :wink:

1 Like

I send the board back to the retailer. They tested it, they said ā€œWorks flawlessly.ā€ So I asked them to update UEFI, they did - nothingā€¦
Same issue.
I had an FM2+ platform so I used it - no issue what so everā€¦

My guess is itā€™s some incompatibility between ram, cpu, gpu and moboā€¦ I have absolutely no ideaā€¦

Yeah for the cheaper lineup of boards maybe.
We have also seen this on the B350 boards aswell.
But of course for a board that costs less then $100,- bucks,
its not that big of a deal.
But if they would do this with like $150,- + boards, then that would be unacceptable.
And Asrock uses some pretty decent components on their semi to highend lineup of boards generally.

Like Msi with the X370 Xpower titanium board selling it as highend.
But in reality they used the same cheap Niko mosfets as on their lowerend boards.
They just used the IR35201 pwm instead of that Richtek.
So you got some better digital controls etc.
But other then that, there is nothing highend on that boards vrm.
And they definitelly did get some critics for that. :wink:

1 Like

Not the worst, sure. But the X470 Taichi is spoiled by crap BIOS support. Itā€™s supposed to be a premium board. No point having the insane VRM if you canā€™t run memory at decent clocks and the bios in general leaves you wanting for features like AGESA updates forever.

Ok glad to hear. You had me worried for a minute, given I own a X370 Taichi.

On the Taichi Asrock uses 40A / 25A Ti nexfets CSD87350D powerstages.
Those are decent. :slight_smile:

at least here in Germany, if they fail to fix it after 3 trys, they have to take it back and pay you back fully.

Eu? I do have a repaired and fairly cheap Asus Crosshair vi Hero laying around.
And the Used market is also a thing, that board can be had for 120ā‚¬ in good condition, which is actually pretty good.

1 Like

U selling?
Local used market is garbageā€¦ I donā€™t trust it with that kind of stuffā€¦

well, depends on what you want and how much i have to fidle with it before.

ā€œRepairedā€.
I have two, one had Liquid metal in the wierdest places, including under one ram-slot.
And the other one was pretty roughed up, had liquid damage, and i smiered vaseline all over it because friends and me went sub ambient with it. This is the least tested board though. Did OC well though.

So basically I better get new oneā€¦
Iā€™ll just get something cheap until 500 chipsets come out and then I will see what can I getā€¦

if ā€œsafe as in less likely to make problems and under warrantyā€ is what you want, probably.

But thatā€™d be boring right ?
And the first RMA i ever had was user error.
The second, some things i did miss. Testing boards is hard and takes time, And iā€™m lazy, And i have no time ā€¦ : (