Chicken Croissants, as easy or as hard as you want

As requested: Post pictures of what you ate!

Chicken Croissant, an weird but extremely tasty approximation of french cooking. I learned how to do it the quick and easy way. But I have started experimenting with french technique and have reconstructed it to be more authentic

I also will include the easier methods for when you done have much time.

-Ingredients

Shredded chicken:

• one chicken breast
  • one shalot clove (skin removed and
  • one stalk of celery
  • 3 cups (705g) of chicken stock
  • Salt and pepper (white pepper is best)
  • Spring of thyme

Note: You can dice some chicken and cook it with stock if you don’t want to make shredded chicken. It won’t be as good though.

Velouté:

• 1/2 cup (64g) all purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup (115g) unsalted butter (whole stick)
  • 1 cup (235g) of the chicken stock from the cooked and shredded chicken, strained.

Note: 2 cups condensed cream of chicken soup will do the trick but won’t be as good. For metric folks you want the same amount of butter to flour and double the volume of stock

Remainder of sauce:

• 8 oz (226.7g) of Camembert cheese
  • 8 oz (226.7g) of cream cheese
  • Salt and pepper (white pepper is best)

Notes: Cream chease can be used to substitute for Camembert cheese. You can substitue cream cheese with more Camembert and fraiche split 50/50.

Puff Pastry:

You can make your own Croissant dough but that would be an entire recipe by itself. It will add about 2 more hours to the recipe. Get premade dough unless you like cooking on hard mode

Tons of good recipes out there:

Have enough (about two rolls of Pillsbury croissant dough) dough to make eght 3 inch x 4 inch rectangles. (~7cm x 10 cm)

An egg can be used as a wash but not required.

Derections

Chicken:

• Place Chicken breast in slow cooker (or pot).
  • Roughly chop the shallot and celery and sprinkle throughout pot.
  • Add thyme and liberal salt/pepper
  • Add the stock and make sure it completely covers the chicken.
  • Cover and cook on medium heat for about 5-6 hours until meat is 165F (~74C)
  • Remove chicken from pot and shred with two forks.
  • Drain and strain 1 cup (235g) of the stock into a small pot at medium heat (get it to simmer)
  • Place the chicken back in the remaining stock at low heat until needed

Sauce:

• Melt butter on low heat do not brown the butter
  • Whisk in the flour into the melted butter at medium low heat it will become thick and almost paste like
  • Wisk in the strained stock and up the heat to medium
  • Reduce until the sauce will coat the back of a spoon

-Or warm up the cream of chicken soup

• Add the cream chease in slices/chunks and melt in at medium heat

• Add camembert cheece removing about 1/2 the rind since it is hard to melt

• Mix in the chicken and celery (if you want)

• Lower temp to low

• Preheat oven to 375F (190C)

• Place the rectangles on a thin non stick backing sheet (with Pillsbury it will be two triagles mushed together)

• Place around 3 table spoons (40ish grams) and pinch corners together. An egg wash can be used as a glue with a brush

• Place in oven and bake for around 12 mintues or until golden awith small amouts of brown on top

Note: Best to do the assembling with cold dough. An egg wash is just a beaten egg with a few drops of water it helps the appearance and can act as a glue.

Now eat them!

9 Likes

might have to try to make this one of these nights

if you have any questions let me know

@Eden we need a recipe tag for this

Are you able to add it?

No because it doesn’t exist as a tag yet and only leaders and above can make new tags.

I know since I made many of the tags on this site about 2 years ago.

1 Like

I added a new tag group with a few food related tags. I’ll add a few more later.

2 Likes

I’m gonna have to Shanghai my roommates slow cooker this weekend, thanks for the write up @anon36666293.

2 Likes

Pinned in Food & Drink until Wednesday

Let me know if you have any questions and show off how it comes out.

1 Like

They came out fantastic, I think I was a little short on chicken (I had 1lb, 1.5lbs would have been perfect for the amount of sauce imo)

I would love to try this filling in focaccia bread twist, in fact I’ve got some left over filling so I’ll have to try that too.

3 Likes

That is really cool to see someone else making the dish.

1 Like