Catsay plays with Xeon Phi

I appreciate the effort.

That is going to be good.

They said it couldn’t be done.

"You can’t use Xeon Phi with Ryzen„ - a random redditor.

“It just works”

Also high time to mod a proper bracket. Stacking it on the PSU with old SSD cases isn’t the way to go

I guess this is a bit of lazy teaser :joy_cat:

4 Likes

A metal strip with two holes in it would do.
Then you just clamp the bracket between the metal strip and case.

Gonna do some workshop fabricobbling later this evening.

1 Like

And finally I got around to Fabricating a proper bracket.

Start with any old dual slot GPU bracket

Trace it out on paper and figure out the dimensions and cuts from the old xeon server bracket

Find some scrap

Unlocking the scrapper perk early on is useful, but not required.
Any old Optical drive/PSU/random bit of strongish steel will do.

Get your dust mask and Eyepro

Hot flying steel dust isn’t a new kind of vape flavour

Don’t forget the High Velocity toothbrush

Trace out your bracket on the metal with some marker

Slice and Dice

Check that all appendages are still attached once done.
Yeah that black dust, that’s steel dust. Don’t breathe that.

Give it a bit of polish to remove all the gnarly edges

Mark out the more complex cuts

A sharp blade is good for this

Get a workshop manicure

The higher RPM the better the end result :stuck_out_tongue:

Cut out the paper bracket

Some call this CAD, but today it’s PAD

Visualize what we’re trying to make for the viewers

Some reverse saw blade action

Skip photographing the step were you bent the flanges into place :stuck_out_tongue:

Test fit

Mark holes for the screws with a black marker

Also skip photographing the drilling, because you’ve only got 2 hands

Combine everything into one silicon-metal sandwich

Time well spent

Looks like any ol’ Intel R&D test fit :smiley:

12 Likes

Oooooo lmk how it goes I’ve wanted one for yeeeeaaaarrrrs

2 Likes

Is there anything better then the Scrapper Perk + a Dremel and all the bits you would need :wink:

Pretty cool indeed.

What do you plan to do with it? Have any compute workload in mind to put your thermal solution to the paces?

Finally after much pain and suffering I’ve actually managed compile a proper MPSS (Manycore Platform Software Stack) for my Xeon Phi. The last kernel Intel officially supported seems to have been 3.10 and for an unreleased / withdrawn MPSS version 4.10. Being originally compiled with GCC6.4 meant I found a tone of bugs that the old compiler missed.

That’s only about 5.7Gb of Code :hushed:
And basically includes a whole Linux kernel + distro built specifically for Xeon Phi.

Hahaha lol nope. More problems with the dkms module build :rofl:
It never ends

2 Likes

Home stretch, just gotta rewrite a bunch of old page code to use the new atomic struct which as added in January this year

Probably about 1000 lines of foreign code in micscif_rma.h to review & rewrite.
https://lkml.org/lkml/2019/1/21/1231

And fix some of the random bits that are likely just moved/renamed header & functions

But that’s about enough for today.
Hella tired now :sleeping:

5 Likes

Holy cow! That is great!

I don’t know and wont pretend to know what a huge chunk of that really means, but it is all still super cool.

I did hear it was a pain getting mpss running, but never tried myself. The forum posts on what to do were (are) beyond my current understanding.

Just a quick question. What are you (Catsay) planning on using your phi for?

For now I’m not planning to use it for anything critical/work project related.
I’ve already got a liberated ex-mining rig GPU farm running AMD ROCm / HIP code for some of my actual data processing (lots of OCR).

The Xeon Phi I’m first going to experiment on, explore the hardware.
Test the ISA, do some microarchitecture benchmarks. Probably run some blender OpenCL renders (Xeon Phi supports OpenCL) so all sorts of opencl stuff can run on it actually. I also plan on making some OpenCL & OpenMP comparison code. Pitting both old(TeraScale) and new GPU’s against the Phi. Explore the strengths and weaknesses of both.

Possibly do some Java & Python offload experiments someone asked me about.

But mainly I’m going to just explore and document things along the way, so if you’ve got things you’d like to see run on it feel free to make suggestions.

Lastly; just as a precaution to everyone else that might not quite understand what Xeon Phi is… It’s not a graphics card. It’s a big fat CPU with an extended x86 instruction set and big vector registers that comprise some of the ‘GPU-like’ elements.

So no we can’t run Crysis :smiley_cat:
Or minecraft… :smirk:

2 Likes

You might’ve found something to try and do with it hahahaha

Maybe quake? Or something that runs on OpenGL?(Is it how it’s called?)

Just for funsies? hahaha

It has a whole bunch of tiny cores, right? So in theory, if each core was a node in a neural net, it should crunch those rather quickly.

I hope I don’t find one for less than 150€, else I will have 150€ less

4 Likes

Random update:

After a long period of screwing around with the Linux drivers and MPSS Stack
I decided to actually see if it’s even working and load it up in Windows.

And it is indeed working

And oh goody it drinks the power, 100W at idle and already running 64C. I’ve got a delta 16K RPM
(PFM0812HE-01BFY) fan strapped to it running 4500RPM just to maintain the idle temps.

And btw Intel MPSS SDK is horrible.
And just in general the software ecosystem around this is totally not as advertised in all of the marketing and training materials.
I attribute 90% of the failure of Xeon Phi to catch on, to the mess that is the MPSS stack.

I wanted to run a quick simple OpenCL test

It is definetly not like programming for a desktop CPU
Nothing about this thing is straight forward in any sense
You can’t just install the OpenCL runtime
No you need to then compile it for your machine
Then to compile it you need to install 11GB of Parrallel studio and 8GB of Visual Studio 2012
Then you need to build a new bootable base cpio image for the card because the last released one is missing a bunch of any useful tools and API’s
Then boot the card with that and setup an NFS share with your libraries etc
Then you can run your code

To get it working on Windows I’m gonna have to load Intel Parallel Studio XE
Which is usually a pain to get and costs an stupid amount of money
No wonder people where hesitant to develop for Xeon Phi

Intel started shoving the 3110P into their faces at $195 + Parallel Studio XE included at some stage in hopes people would use them.

More at 12 or whenever I log in again.

8 Likes

What I have determined so far is these things are not efficent at all for any code that also runs well/better on a GPU

They really need to be used for specific code with enough branch complexity that doesn’t run well on GPU’s

Experiences with Intel Xeon Phi in the Max-Planck Society

https://portal.enes.org/ISENES3/archive-1/phase-2/documents/Talks/WS3HH/session-4-hpc-software-challenges-solutions-for-the-climate-community/markus-rampp-mic-experiences-at-mpg

TLDR:

In moderately parallel applications traditional fat multicore CPU’s murder xeon Phi, (Especially Threadripper) in massively parallel applications GPGPUs rule. Xeon Phi is only barely competitive when you can perfectly parallelize AND vectorize your application.

If either one is not perfect forget Xeon Phi.

Also their cache hierarchy sucks BAWLLLS!
Attempts to manually approximate Cache Coherency are a figment of the designers imagination

The thing is dirty

6 Likes

Some playlists of relevance

Xeon Phi Coding & Hardware

Video course: Parallel Programming and Optimization with Intel Xeon Phi Coprocessors

5 Likes

Looks like it.

They fell into a bad nieche between GPUs and PCIe FPGAs. Either of which is rather easy to programm for.

Oof. I’m kind of disappointed. Was hoping something fun would come out of these Phi cards. Obviously not great, otherwise people would use them, but maybe something fun.

Looks like it is hard to even get them up and running, at least on Linux.

Looks like Intel had the same issue with Phi that Sony, Toshiba, and IBM had with Cell BE. It is unfortunate, how ever Cell BE seems to still have some good use cases (even though they are diminishing to niches) compared to Phi.