Can we all just bust out our tinfoil hats for a moment?

Rumor is with IPv6 there are enough addresses for like "to infinity and beyond."

So. what are the chances our mobile phones all have static IPs and all traffic on the towers is being monitored with a unique id to your cell (your IPv6 address).

Plus the cell phone company can triangulate your position or use your onboard gps to sell to advertisers in addition to what you like.

:blush:

what I think about on saturdays.

3 Likes

Like the phone number? I think the SIM card also has a unique identifier already in place.

Don't they use that during emergency calls to get the location of the caller?

3 Likes

I'm thinking more along the lines of data vs voice. You don't really visit a website with a phone number you know

1 Like

I don't think there would be much of a difference from what they can already do

2 Likes

How else could they ID you on a cell via data? The MAC on the phone?

There are a multitude of ways to identify a person from their data, not just the IP address

4 Likes

Yea I guess that's true.

All phones have a unique id called the IMEI this is at a level beneath the operating system. Type *#06# on the phone's keypad to reveal the IMEI of your phone. There you go that probably the first time you have used the numerical phone keypad since you have owned a smartphone :slight_smile:

You have to remember that phones are multi-layered. There is the hardware. A base radio operating system invisible to the user and the phones OS. Then OS we get to play with, Android, iOS, whatever. It's like your super powerful smartphone still has an old Nokia in there somewhere handling the hardware and radios.

What goes on at that lower level that should be of concern. That's the bit the NSA, GCHQ and other agencies like play with. The super scary stuff like pinging the device for location. Turning on the microphone to turn it into a bug. That type of thing is the real scary stuff, not IPV6.

4 Likes

Or do you? 2014 taught us a different lesson. This happened to Vodacom in south africa as well as Verizon, Vodafone UK, Sprint, AT&T & Bell Canada

2 Likes

Like @PendragonUK said, the IMEI is a hardware ident number. You can get rid of anything on the OS level but below that there is still the 1990's embedded. I think you can't even buy a burner phone without handing over your ID anymore here in Germany.

As long as you have a phone with you, you are trackable.
And to blow your tinfoil hat, have a read.

2 Likes

You already have all the google malware and backdoors, why would you need an IMSI-catcher or IPv6?

1 Like

Googles backdoors are optional. I'm running LineageOS without any google services for example.

3 Likes

Google et al. may vacuum up your IP address, but they certainly don't need it to track you.

Also, if you look into it, you will find that IPv6 devices have several different, concurrent IP addresses and some of these IPv6 address types can periodically change.

1 Like

On some phones where the modem firmware is flashable you can actually dump the modem bin and edit the IMEI number to something else. Effectively making it a new phone. The IMSI number though is bound to the SIM card and that cant be changed at least not in any easy way.

1 Like

Aliens

1 Like

The carrier already logs your location and does DPI to bust things like unauthorized tethering. Add to that the fact that SIM cards run their own independent system that supports apps pushed from the carrier and is connected directly to the baseband... your paranoia is not unfounded.

Unauthorized tethering

This is possibly the most bogus artificial limitation ever imposed on contract service plan smartphones and the very reason why I never take the device a service provider offers you. For me buy your own device applies to everything from smartphone to ISP modem and more.

I just wish It wasn't this way because it's complete bogus.

1 Like

Third party tethering tools piped through a VPN service can solve this; however, I agree- it's a problem that shouldn't exist. Greedy carriers.

If im not mistaken this is only done on IPhone and Samsung carrier branded phones if you have unlimited data. I only buy unlocked or full purchases phones so I've never seen it.

Regardless it is a ridiculous practice as a lot od times people's 3/4g connections are better than their ISPs Service.

Very slim. ipv6 also requires a lot of infrastructure and configuration on the carrier side of things, and as we all know they are very lazy.
I remember chuckling quite recently when niantic (the pokemon go developer) blocked an ip address because it was used by a developer to create a map with all the pokemons on it. As a result the half of Belgium couldn't play pokemon go anymore because the ip address was part of the pool used by the nations largest mobile carrier. The whole invention of carrier grade NAT shows how lazy ISPs are.

As said, the IMSI number already provides a perfect way to track individual phones. Triangulating a position just by looking at signal strength and connected cell towers also has proven to be scary accurate. Especially in densely populated areas or while moving.

Finally, sim cards are basically very small computers under control of the carrier. They can run applications which can be pushed and initiated by the carrier. After putting some additional layers of tinfoil on your hat I can recommend watching this:

1 Like