Can i use a 4pin cpu connector in an 8pin motherboard?

Well, can I?

Generic PUS i have no more details than that.

Motherboard is the gigabyte 990FX ud3

I don't expect to it to work under full load if it all. I'm not running any thing too intensive so power draw is minimal.

This is temporary so i don't intend to use it that long anyways 

anyone? I'm pressing for time atm

You need to populate all 8 connectors on the motherboard so if you splice the wires from the 12V and ground wires and connect them to the motherboard so they resemble the 8 pin like so:

then yes otherwise using a 4 pin I believe will not work.

oh ok. do you have a more detail pic or explanation?

This is how the pins should hook up. You can take the yellow(12V)wires and splice them and take the black(ground)wires and splice them as well to make a 4 pin emulate an 8 pin. So essentially you take each wire from the 4pin and split each wire into two and hook up the pins to the sockets they correspond to.

Edit: As long as the pins get the correct voltage (ie 12V to 12V and ground to ground) specific pinouts really don't matter.

yes you can use a 4 pin cpu plug on a 8 pin motherboard no need for wire splicing just plug the sucker in

He may be right also. Some mobos have this ability like certain ASUS ones. I know the one I have hasn't allowed me to do so before without some crashing. I think it has to do with the power phase distribution.(ie 4 pin has 1/2 the power phase distribution as the 8 pin which could adversly effect cpu stability and performance)

I'd rather not splice so i'll try plugging it straight in.

i doubt nothing bad will come of it if i do. but just to check. it is safe to plug it in and do that, right giga?

You're not gonna harm anything if you underpower electronic components so it is safe.

good point. I'll try it out.

he should be fine he has a 8+2 I think, just like my 790XT, which worked on 4 pin mode

well it should work, but im not a big fan of it, i would say buy a new psu ☺

Do it properly or not at all,it's not worth frying your computer with a sub par psu.

I'm sitting behind a PC in which 4 pin CPU power is connected to 8 pin CPU power connector on the motherboard which is running FX-8320 OC'd to 4.2 GHz. 

Don't forget the basic rule: if you can plug it without breaking it, it will work or at least will not break. 

I have no idea what your PC specs are, but the Seasonic SSR-650RM 80+ gold are pretty cheap. They still have some laying around Ebay if you're interested.

This is temporary so i don't intend to use it that long anyways 

I dont care if its for 5mins or a year it only takes that one power up,if you like to gamble thats up to you.

You are like many other people on hardware forums, kinda PSU-paranoid. 

Chances of frying your PC with a 80+ certified PSU are low. In case of PC demanding more power from the rail than unit can provide on one rail, usually BSOD or shutdown happens without any harm to hardware. 

And after living 19 years in a country where most people have noname chinese PSUs in their PCs I can say that I haven't seen any of them frying any hardware. 

I plugged in my PSU to the wall to ground my self and a rather large spark jumped out of it. I disregarded it and continues to put it together.

My computer won't turn on. no power no nothing. I'm fairly certain it crapped on me.

quoted from  NJM1112 https://teksyndicate.com/users/njm1112/blog/2013/08/13/build-log-valhalla

component ThermalTake 700W (80+ silver) i gess that was a freek accident? and that was a good psu.

All i am hearing from you Dissentient is "i will never crash my car because i drive a volvo"

and 

Generic PUS i have no more details than that

Dosent sound like a 80+ anything to me

There are other variables that went into that PSU failing. It's a solid unit that i've heard good things from. Brennan even trusts it apparently.

You don't know the full story to the PSU.

Freak accidents happen. to which i think this was.

80+PSUs can fail nothing is perfect. 80+ is an efficiency rating. not necessarily a quality rating keep that in mind.

Now you're making this thread off topic.