Can I be arbitrary and run windows 8 still?

I am setting some machines up and resetting my desktop. But, I keep sitting there thinking about having to actually use it. You know what, I kinda want windows 8 back.

Will my computer be able to do anything or has everything so thusly dropped it that it would be impossible to use modern day?

Fun fact, 8 is the only windows release I like, and I am willing to AME a W8 build to perfection.

I’ll just take it as a yes and make a thread later talking about it

Yes you can! The only problem I see is it may not support newer hardware and you will get plagued by upgrade messages whenever you go online. If your browser let’s you.

It depends. Both Nvidia and AMD stopped supporting and releasing drivers for 8 and 8.1, AMD stopped when Polaris (the 500 versions) came out. I’m not quite sure when Nvidia cut support. The AMD 400 series have way out of date drivers from 2017 but the 500 series have no driver support at all. Windows 7 was so popular both companies continued to release drivers for it (a 3090 has drivers for Windows 7, none for 8/8.1).

If that doesn’t bother you then yes you can probably run Windows 8.1/8 just fine. Microsoft themselves stopped all genuine support in 2016 so you’ll have a fairly insecure system.

Ok I am going to read all of that but my a+ response is I’m running x79 with an hd7850. Does that actually limit me in os? I think not in terms of old oses

stooped support in 2016 so will be insecure

Sounds like my life

2 Likes

Well since you are using mainly older hardware i would say,
you totally can run windows 8.1 today.

Windows 8.1 is still supported with security updates till 2023.
So it basically is not insecure to run 8.1.
I know you are asking for windows 8 specifically,
but in my opinion 8.1 is significant upgrade over 8 and still supported.

Windows 10 only has two more years of support left over 8.1.
Which is kinda crazy if you think about that for a minute.
It’s just kinda unfortunate that hardware manufacturers dropped support for it years ago.
So no driver support for newer hardware.

1 Like

8 and 8.1 are the same to me I don’t really care 8 was just them panicking and releasing the 8RT early with no adopters, and the 8.1 blob later was all the work they were still producing.

But ok cool thx

1 Like

RTX 2070 still works in Windows 8.1 and drivers are available - I use Win 8 for games which are broken in Win 10/11 (SDL mouse input issues and such). Although I run it in vfio setup.

general stability issues with drivers etc would be enough i wouldnt even try it. win 8 you need antivirus cause defender is trash. and windows 10 runs better if u modify registry. be careful tho. this is 100% my opinion. wife had a touch screen laptop with 8.1 on it and we both hated it. got windows 10 when it launched.
Also i just thought. if you memory overclock i would git windows 10 and 8/10 starbois for durability and anything previous a 1 or 2 lol. there are much smarter people here then me tho. i just dont see the point. run win 7 instead >.< i must of broke 200 windows 7 installs with memory overclocking. 10 is yet to break. i dropped usb power once and thats it. thats the closest i cam to breaking win 10

Wait, how? The 500 series was just rebrands of the 400 series, how can one be supported and not the other?

They aren’t exactly identical, 580 and 570 were made on Samsung’s / Global Foundries next gen FinFET14 while the 480 and 470 were made on Global Foundaries standard FinFET14 which just meant the 580/570 were clocked higher for roughly the same power usage. The 500 series is typically 5% faster for 2~3% higher power usage.
The memory controller and video decoding engine was also changed so on a 480/470 with a multi monitor video decoding setup it had to run the memory clocks at its high performance mode, 580 and 570 get an inbetween memory clock so they’ll consume a lot less power and run a lot cooler when playing back video / browsing the internet, doing some heavy decoding from lets say YouTube. Something like 30~40 watts difference in some 1440p multimonitor heavy decoding scenarios.
You can but you shouldn’t swap the vbios between them. It depends on the board of course and if its reference design or not but some 580s have 8 VRM modules while the stock (blower cooler) 580 / 480 has 6. You can tell if you have a reference design even if it has a custom cooler based on where the VRM is located, if its near the video out ports its most likely a reference board design and if its near the PCI-E power inputs its probably a custom board.

I mean ok, but it’s not unheard of to have differences like that in a single SKU due to silicon and memory being sourced from multiple suppliers. A pretty extreme example was the iPhone 6. All in all I’m not seeing this as a reason why the 580 would be supported but not the 480.

By January 1st 2016 around 30% of the Windows user market was roughly equally spread out on Windows 10, Windows 8.1 and Windows XP each with a hair of 10%. By the time the 480 was on the scene in summer 2016 Windows 10 was crossing 14% and 8.1 was falling below about 8%. When the 580 launched Windows 10 had something like 40%, 8.1 & 8 were barely over 5% and Windows 7 about 35%.

If I had to guess why the 580 didn’t get a Windows 8.1 driver but the 480 did I’d guess the 480 had a lot more potential Windows 8.1 using customers.

I mean sure, but the point is it’s like supporting the GTX 1070 but not the 1070 Ti. Actually, it’s more like supporting the 1060 3GB but not the 1060 6GB. They are so, so nearly the same graphics card it makes no sense – it’s the same driver.

AMD just stopped supporting 8.1 entirely for ALL GPU’s with 17.7.1 in July 2017, thats more than a year before the 580 was released and a year after the 480 was released. How hard is that to understand?

I was running windows 8.1 just fine until very recently. I don’t see any reason why you can’t still use it. One thing that can make it a bit difficult is if you upgrade your processor, if the architecture is very different from previous processors, sometimes older versions of windows simply won’t work at all with newer processors.

Regarding drivers, often even if a driver doesn’t specify it is supported by a particular version of windows, you can install it anyway - and they frequently work.

you should try and emulator for the mouse. something like auto hokey can fix this sometimes. but i have never had the issue with the mouse to try it myself.

this is why i hate all sku names lol 580 are we talking rx or gtx? i thought i read the post quite thorough but maybe i missed it.
I recently looked into vbios swap on my gtx 1650 to get the 120% power limit one but it wont work. i even sweet talked an engineer at evga he said it was not very likely.
i miss the gtx 560 days. everyone had a 560 ti. my 560 se(underclocked normal 560) blew the doors off the 560 founders lol.
intel has to be the worst with their chipsets tho. they are purposely trying to confuse people.
unrelated but they said they would support the last lga 1200 generation on prebious boards. only 1/4 of it became true. i think some h470 boards can but a lot cant and b450 simply cant on all sku’s i believe

back to the bios i emailed W1zzard from techpowerups, he said volt mod it i gues the 1650’s are extremely easy, got soldering iron last night. fixed my gtx 560 se(a tantelum fell off lol) it works now tho. just need to get the courage up to possibly ruin my gpu lol

1 Like

Are there scientists studying you? Checking your brain scans, that kind of thing?

2 Likes

It has a lot of potential and everyone bitched because wah its different

Like grow up the search at least didn’t do the online first bs and there was cool shit to havk in all over the place.

Look at it and tell me you can’t do some gnome or kde level hacks to that and make some cool shit happen