Can I be arbitrary and run windows 8 still?

lmfao lose the attitude. It makes you look very silly, given that I’m not disputing any of that. The issue is that they wrote a driver that worked for both – because they are essentially the same card – and arbitrarily supported one and not the other. It’s like supporting the GTX 680 and not the GTX 770. There is no reason not to support both if you’re going to write the software anyway. It just screws over some of your customers.

People complained because it ditched a lot of UI design that made sense for mouse and keyboard-based desktop PCs in favour of a touch interface, but touch interface didn’t really work that well either so it ended up being kind of crap at both. Windows 11 is making a better attempt at what Windows 8 tried to do.

I can’t tolerate modern GNOME for even a few seconds because it forces something like the Win8 UI on everyone. Mate exists just for that reason. I’d say GNOME 0.9 was the high point, which Microsoft copied in Win7. Thankfully, XFce is still sane and usable.

I enjoyed using it. I installed Classic Shell and could ignore most of the tablet like / phone like UI stuff in 8.1. I’ve found 10 slightly slower than 8.1 on my old i7 4770. I’m quite sure 10 just does way too much in the background.

cakeisamadeupdrug if you think thats attitude you’re looking for a reason to be offended. I already explained they are not the exact same GPU and the arbitrary reason was 8.1 was clearly on the way out. Reading compression insults. Now that might make for some “attitude”.
AMD gets a lot of love but yep I fully agree they screwed people over to save some money. TeraScale 2 and 3 GPU drivers were left an absolutely horrendous broken state when they were still very useable. I got to test a 6970 a couple weeks ago, Resident Evil 2 fully playable over 60fps at 1280x720 but Arkham Knight a game 4 years older has bugs that were fixed in a beta driver and broken for the final drivers. AMD fine wine but hints of raw sewage with those cards.

windows 8 was designed to launch microsofts garbage surface line. nothing more. touchcreens dont belong on pc’s i cant even reach my monitor lol. and i just hate touch screens in general cause they are so inaccurate. my wifes s21 is juuuuuuuunk.
windows only launches a good os every 2nd time-actual fact look at their history lol

lets hope windows 12 comes out soon or steam os or something just blows microsoft out of the way.

I actually use XFCE most of the time but I am coming back around to gnome. I could only use Gnome 3 a long time ago when it could still run on ATI 9600m’s and most of the features you would add were through mods. Nowadays its good enough on stock and can’t run on old hardware anyways, but has all the features I wanted back in the day, so idc.

I have a laptop with a touch screen and I am very into using it in combo with a mouse. Though I hate touch screen keyboards.

IDK vista sucked on launch but after you update it it even runs fine on 64bit pentium 4’s

ppl just bitch all the time, I have pleasent memories of W8. I started streaming on garbo hardware with a GT330m on a pcie card and literally the optimizations in W8 made it possible. I want W8 AME ffs.

I used 7 and XP and 98SE too, but at different stages i my life. 98 and 95 feel more like toys from my childhood, They don’t feel like… an operating system. I got to windows XP and it was OK, but I was tired of my shit crashing. I swapped to linux, skipped 7 because I had to use it at school (7 starter, didn’t like 7, still don’t much like 7 lol even though its absolutely fine), linux felt like I actually had control of my computer for once, and when I researched FileSystems, I saw that XFS would use my 40GB PATA HDD the best, and I basically haven’t changed much since.

When I was in college I was in the IT program and I got access to MS Dreamspark. Because I am the little hacker piece of shit that I am, I ended up finding out how to exploit the key system in DS and upgraded a bunch of random garbage keys from like WXP and W7 and maaayyyybe some WVista machines (but you had to track the build number and thats not always on the sticker ech) and used them in W8 and W10 later on (if you had a DS upgraded key it had an in system flag to be passed through as a beta test of the upgrade platform, but if you still have those keys you can move them up, and maybe down, to whatever OS you want, I only ever went up though).

When I got to windows 8 I was really into Netrunner and Arch Linux and I was posting on here more often. I could see where they had gotten inspiration from and I liked the vast improvements over the last OS I had used, which at that point really was just XP. If I ever used W7 I just guessed. The only time I ever learned dick about W7 I hacked the shit out of the aero subsystem on an AMD APU laptop and put my little pony shit everywhere so no one would steal my laptop (long story short, middle of no where school, I was given permission to type because I have had arthritis issues for forever that are so bad I can’t write correctly, kids would steal my shit, I had to be scary to not have my shit stolen).

W8 was really neat because the tricks I had learned from hacking aero partially applied to W8. Metro had a lot of similarities, and even used some of the same code. I am Not a developer, but I know enough about shit that I can figure out what something does, or guess and ask ppl or google and figure it out. But when I ripped up metro I found there were example programs hidden in early 8.1 for stuff like having the terminal be in a box on the start menu, or having a scaling window open and boom theres your music directory and maybe you could put a music player in, there was an applet system I think similar to W7 and WVi. It was neat, but I didn’t quite understand a lot of it. At that point the most advanced thing I had done was badly program a firewall for a thing in minecraft while not understanding a lua manual, so I could have misread something. But, having little things to try and comments to read, I think I got it.

Shame no one really put it to use though. Someone coulda done AI stuff early and had like time of day AI integration for like mouse movement on the start menu. So whatever you open, the mouse will gravitate to what you most likely use during the day. At least that was one of my ideas to help with the tablet issues, like auto aim in CSGO. But I don’t think that woulda helped XDDD

But anyways yah W8 is cool

Go to linux and learn how to use a computer and then come back