Buyer's R̶e̶m̶o̶r̶s̶e̶ Hesitation

Yup, I just couldn’t find any info of OP’s old PC’s specs, so I thought I just throw in my own upgrade experience (it is a huge step in my case, tbh).

AM4 is a completely new platform, while Intel kinda only “updated” theirs. It’s not like Intel didn’t have any issues in the past (Pentium FDIV bug, the Intel Atom C-series bricking, poor thermal paste between DIE and IHS causing heat problems, hyper-threading flaw on Skylake/Kaby Lake, etc.)
Plus, mostly pre-week 25 productions seem to have those issues. And if you don’t use Linux and compile, you should be fine.

That’s enough for me to recommend Ryzen. The additional cores are going to help you a ton with virtualization.

You also have to consider that the 8700k is out of stock in most locations and they’re showing up on Ebay for $999 USD. If you’re going to wait more, that’s totally fine, but I’m not sure if you’ll be able to find them since Intel doesn’t have any stock out there yet. The 1700/1700x is available today.

I’m not finding any information on that. Can you send me a link? My understanding is that CS is only optimized for 6/12, not 8/16.

When it comes to CUEtools and mp3tag, well, mp3tag isn’t CPU intensive enough to have an issue, it’s more IO bound. CUEtools is similar, especially if you’re ripping disks. You may notice a few seconds one way or another because of the sata implementation, but that’s just how the cookie crumbles.

As much as OBS isn’t intensive, the additional threads are going to help you if you decide to stream anything that becomes intensive.

More cores is Moar Better™ in this situation. Virtualization is all about cores and instruction translation.

Bottom line is this: You’ll be happy with both, but I’d personally go with AMD.

I meant that in terms of bugs.

1700 makes the 1700x obsolete

The cooler that comes with the 1700 guarantees you a minimum of 3.7 ghz with virtually no effort required.

sure, if you don’t want to spend 10 seconds in the bios setting the multiplier then I suppose the 1700x has value…

But I would go for the non x and just have more ram (32GB)

1 Like

pcper
jayztwocents

More faster RAM at that.

1 Like

Truth. If OP goes AMD, they should be looking at 3200MHz kits or as close to that as they can get. Anything over that isn’t stable according to most accounts and then you are just wasting your money. Intel platform doesn’t really care about RAM speed.

TL;DW: Sometimes clocks will make up for or beat cores, Sometimes they don’t.
That’s really the story here.

1 Like

I’m not sure why people give a shit about render times on premiere. The important thing is that the workflow is snappy. When I render, I click the button and get lunch.

Thanks for the sources. google-fu clearly failed me.

I’m going to stick with my guns here though, OP will be happy with either because I’m not sure that an additional $200 is worth 20% in rendering time when it’s not going to be primarily used for that.

1 Like

The R7 isn’t even a gamble, intel can’t deliver. I say go with the R7. Intel doesn’t deserve money for a con job.

1 Like

I figure borderline-political opinions aren’t a good product recommendation

2 Likes

Its not a political opinion if the 7700K is pulling out ahead against the 8700K. Thats a fact, not an opinion. At that no one has any benchmarks that make any sense.

1 Like

All you have to offer to this discussion is that you don’t like Intel. People might like the red meat, but otherwise you’re wasting time.

To say that Intel is pulling a con job is a little simplistic. Did they probably rush this chip to compete with AMD? I think so. Are they trying to con consumers? I really don’t think so. They probably aren’t used to actually competing, so it’s not as refined as some of their earlier offerings. And there are still use cases that 8700k makes sense. I don’t think the OPs situation is one of them, but there is no “wrong” answer here.

1 Like

Have you not seen any of the benchmarks? Are you dense?

The bench scores are everywhere. Some people have higher, some have sower, and configured at its best it dosen’t perform near as well as the 7700K unless you have all sorts of shit turned on, have the chip on liquid metal and water, and overclock the fucker to 4.5 and up.

No, its not a “Bweh intel poopy” bias thing, its that Coffee lake is just a rehash of a rehash. If he really wants intel it would be better to go the Xeon route in my opinion, but I like the server chips a lot more as well.

Stop derailing the thread with this nonsense.

3 Likes

Fine whatever. You’re all getting screwed.

@NeOZeN don’t buy the 8700K until it proves itself out unless you want a cheaper skylake 6 core. Relatively cheaper I mean. AM4 has proven itself out so if thats your other side to it, I would go for that. I don’t trust intel with their desktop chips as they’re just throwing stuff out as fast as they can to try and catch up. Wait till Coffee lake flattens out and see if anything changes. If you want intel, I would go look at a xeon and just leave the basic desktop chips alone.

@DigitalBytes is right.
You might not like it, but rushed roadmap to compete is not a con.
You might not like it, but new motherboards are not a con when it’s completely in line with their well-established schedule, and when you need redesigned power delivery.
You might not like it, but a refresh with more cores yet same IPC is not a con.
You might not like it, but frankly, that doesn’t matter. In single thread, IPC tests sometimes the 8700k wins, and sometimes the 7700k wins.

Not to mention that it doesn’t matter since he’s not upgrading from a 7700k.
I don’t care about your crusade
No one cares about your crusade.

1 Like

Really? On what grounds? Lower clocks, more money per core, ECC RAM support, instruction sets geared toward enterprise customers?

1 Like

I hate Intel and I think you’re all stupid for paying money for Intel but also buy a Xeon.