Building a Dual-CPU AMD/nVidia Gaming and Encoding Rig

I don't really see the point of this whole thread right from the start. Looking at the build, it doesn't make any sense to me whatsoever. You have two dated CPUs with low clockspeeds (overclockable? I'm not too sure), a GPU that these CPUs can't really make use of (not just IPC-wise, they are also PCI-E2.0 only which is in this case a limitation). Then, you have an M.2 SSD on a board without M.2 that will not be able to boot on that platform anyways, only 1TB of mass storage but on the other hand a crazy amount of RAM.
And, what is up with that 1600x1200 monitor? Wouldn't that be the first thing to upgrade to something a little more 2015 before investing in a high-end workstation?
There really is no balance in this. It would probably make a great virtualization-server, but not a gaming-system and/or a capable editing rig.
I can't help it but I feel like this thread is somewhat a joke. Not to speak about that AMD/Intel war and the whole "Intel is a sexist company"/feminism thing.

1 Like

I think the main purpose of the build is actually the encoding/rendering part instead of the gaming part. I think the gaming is just tacked on to explain the use of the GPU he selected. In retrospect, he would have been better off with an actual workstation card for encoding and rendering. I like the dual socket AMD opeteron builds though. If you do it right (run Linux) you can get a ton of performance out of those components. Plus, you could install Proxmox as the base and run everything else through KVM. Turn it into a great Virtualization server that give hardware level PCI/GPU passthrough.

Why not build the workstation first and dedicate it to encoding and add a KVM with an ITX build? You could house the entire thing in something like an AZZA Fusion 4000 behemoth (just be mindful of heat rising). Stick one 980 or Quadro in the workstation and the other 980 in the ITX box.
It'll cost a bit more but you'll end up with two dedicated machines.

1. The PCI-E bus will not cause a significant bottleneck.
  2. I will be using a PCI-E->m.2 card.
  3. I also have a 2TB external HDD.
  4. The monitor runs at 100Hz and is a CRT, so it is objectively superior to any LCD ever made. I've been looking at a 2048x1536 CRT, but that would cost $750 and I want to finish the PC first.

PC Hound Part List

CPU: AMD Opteron 6376 ($634.7 @ Amazon)
CPU #2: AMD Opteron 6376 ($634.7 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: SUPERMICRO MBD-H8DG6-F-O ($734.42 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.SKILL 32GB (4 x 8GB) Ripjaws X Series ($316.15 @ Amazon)
Memory #2: G.SKILL 8GB (4 x 2GB) Ripjaws Z Series ($77.99 @ Newegg)
Memory #3: G.SKILL 8GB (4 x 2GB) Ripjaws Z Series ($77.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 04G-P4-3988-KR ($595.98 @ Newegg)
Video Card #2: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 04G-P4-3988-KR ($595.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: SAMSUNG 128GB XP941 MZHPU128HCGM-00004(0) ($133.47 @ Mwave)
Storage #2: Western Digital 1TB Blue WD10EZEX ($57.99 @ Best Buy)
Case: Corsair Obsidian Series 900D CC-9011022-WW ($339.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: LITE-ON iHAS124-14 ($12.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $4,212.35
Price may include shipping, rebates, promotions, and tax
Generated by PC Hound

The parts above are the ones that I currently own. I also have a 480mm radiator and PCI-Ex4 to m.2x4 card. I need suggestions for a PSU, watercooling cooling system, and a mass-storage SSD for this. I was looking at SeaSonic's 1200W Platinum PSU, but I don't know if it will have enough wattage due to the amount overclocking that I will be doing. For the watercooling, I was thinking of AquaComputer CPU blocks, EK fullcover GPU blocks, AquaComputer's Aqualis pump/res, Alphacool's radiators, and a universal VRM waterblock for the motherboard. I'm not sure how much radiator space I will need. For a second SSD, I was looking at Samsung's 850 line.

1. I will be using a third-party hack (DifferentSLI) to enable SLI.
  2. I am not interested in Intel's offerings as I already own the AMD hardware and I do not want to support companies like Intel.
  3. I also would like to have enough of a power supply to add a third 980 later on, but that is not a necessity.
  4. I will be overclocking everything very heavily (3.5GHz+ CPU, 1.7GHz+ GPU), so make your power supply recommendations with that in mind. You can expect each CPU and GPU to use at least 250W, probably more like 300W.
  5. I am aware that at stock speeds, the CPUs will pose a severe bottleneck to the GPUs when gaming, which is why I intend to heavily overclock them through Turion Power Control (to at least 3.5GHz).
1 Like

Do you work for the NSA or NASA or something?

Nope. I got most the parts used and had some parts left over from a previous system. I got the CPUs for $90. The combo of the motherboard, spare CPU, spare heatsink, and 8x2GB of RAM was $250. I had 4x8GB of RAM, the case, and the 980s from a previous build. The XP941 is from my PowerMac G5 Quad; I had to remove it when I added a second GPU (AMD HD6970) and it has been sitting around since.

Show us a picture when it's done and working.

He's been permanently banned from the forum for evading a previous ban. He's never going to respond to this thread.

because of this thread over.