Building a Dual-CPU AMD/nVidia Gaming and Encoding Rig

Considered doing a build like that a few years back. Except I was considering using the AMD 6344s. Decided to go with FX-8370s and add more nodes later.

my Friends first build that he grabbed without my input
was the fx 8 core
and it bottle-necked the shit out of 2x 7970's

i took it apart and returned all that stuff
and rebuilt it on an intel 3570k
and now that same mobo and cpu is running 3x 144hz screens and 2x 780tis with an ssd boot

the clock cycle per clock cycle performance of the amd cpu compaired to the intel one is vast and measurable.

4ghz amd FX 8 cores DOES NOT EQUAL 4ghz intel 4 cores. PERIOD.
\

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

\

just take a second to look at this list.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

Intel = Performance per thread and per clock
AMD = Lots of cores/threads

Though im guessing @x996015 is set on getting a x2 setup for work reasons. if he's allready got em he might as well use them right... lets me honest here, work > gaming.

smoke em if you've got em
if i could get my hands on some used server parts id build a rig out ov em too
but yer gunna haveta clock those mofos dangerously high to get any gaming power

Although the opterons can be OC'd I do not believe they can be done in dual socketed systems. Plus I believe that motherboard has no options to even adjust clocks beyond adjustments to the base clock, which is not going to get you very far (due to the fact it adjusts the memory clocks as well) which can make things tricky.

RAM must be matching or nothing will work.

There is no need for two power supplies, the 1200W is perfectly adequate.

I already own the 520W PSU. Opterons overclock using a software, not in the board firmware which does not support adjustment.

You will find that the Supermicro board shall prevent that from happening at a BIOS level, certain boards have tweaked BIOS avaliable. However this will void your warranty and is still extremely limiting.

The Supermicro boards are built to run 100% stable and allow very little options to the user to prevent the board from doing so.

If you going to put this much money into a system for this purpose, there is no reason to put dual opterons into the build. A single 5960x overclocked is going to game better, and encode just as well. With the dual opterons you have so many possible failure points. Those chips are not, under any circumstances, meant to overclock. Neither are server boards like that. They can, but there are so many things that can go wrong there. If you want the ultimate streaming and gaming build, go 5960x and overclock it to 4.3 to 4.5ghz.

@thecaveman: I'm not really spending that much money. I already own a lot of the parts. The only things I am buying are the CPUs, motherboard, a bit of watercooling equipment, and a second PSU. I got the CPUs used for $90 each, the PSU should cost about $200 new, and the board will be around $250 used. A 5960X would cost more than this entire build. Intel is also a sexist, anti-competitive company which I would rather not support. The chips might not be built specifically for overclocking like the eVGA Classified graphics cards or certain high-end motherboards, but they can overclock just as well as any Phenom X6, which are what they are based on. The board only have 6-phase VRMs, so it is a bit more concerning than the CPUs, but I will be watercooling the motherboard along with the CPUs and monitoring temperatures to prevent a VRM failure.

That's not true. All recent Opterons can be overclocked in software on any motherboard. The modified board firmwares just allow for overclocking in the BIOS or UEFI, without software.

I'm not disagreeing or agreeing with you, because I have no idea about it, but why are Intel sexist?

Sexist and anti-competitive? I'll preference this by first pointing out that I use a 8350 in my main system. You sound like the biggest AMD fanboy in the whole world. Intel has done nothing sexist or anti-competitive. The only thing they really do is make stuff and sell it, just like any other business. Frankly I think even with how much your putting into the cpu's and mobo, that a 5820k is still a 10x smarter choice.

Intel is partnered with Feminist Frequency, a known sexist organization.

I think you have feminism and sexism confused. Wanting equality, is the literal opposite of sexism.

So, you are trying to tell me that Intel never paid off OEMs to not use AMD CPUs and that they are not partnered with Feminist Frequency?!
I am no fanboy. I simply choose not to support unethical companies.

I actually am a feminist myself... Feminist Frequency might call themselves Feminists, but they really are not. They are a female supremacy organization. Groups like them give all feminists a bad name.

Feminism is aimed at equality, not sexism. And yes they use there advantages of having better products and thus a bigger bank account to better there business. This is called capitalism, the same thing AMD would use if they were on top of the market. That is the literal goal of every company that sells a product. Get yourself to the top of the market and then do what it takes to keep yourself at the top of the market.

They as a company, even if they are partnered with a group that may be morally arguable, are not sexist. I'd put money on the guess that they are partnered with that group for the sole benefit of looking pro-equality, since most people won't look into the group.

Feminist Frequency just capitalised on people being stupid enough to fund their complaining, damaging the integrity of modern feminism.

Intel probably did it for the PR. From what I've just read, they said they didn't want to take sides in that big mess.

I don't think it's a reason not to buy their products.

Where is this thread pointing towards?
a build a pc thread? or an intel vs amd war?

please stay on topic.

2 Likes