Building a custom backlite full 104 keyboard

How is everyone? After my previous keyboard project (78 key 6.6 inch USB keyboard), I’ve decided to challenge myself further and build a full size keyboard to replace my daily driver. I plan to include features such as NKRO, backlighting, and a fancy stainless steel keyplate that I ordered from Big Blue Saw a waterjet cutting service.

To start with I created a schematic for my new circuit.

Next I created the PCB. This one was a bit tricky. The traces were difficult to route though I eventually settled on this layout.

Then I generated the GERGER files and sent them in to have the PCB manufactured.

Once I received the PCBs and the necessary components I proceeded to solder them together. I will be using the AT90USB646 microcontroller. Nothing like having 48 GPIO pins at your disposal.

The steel keyplate arrived. It looks amazing!

I will now finish creating the custom firmware using QMK. The backlight will be controlled by one pwm pin and a transistor with the emitter to ground. The LEDs will not run at full brightness since I didn’t bother to interleave the backlighting but should be fine at under 2 milliamps per LED being paired with 1K resistors.

10 Likes

Here is how the project has been progressing. I’m creating this post with the new keyboard by the way. I ran into a few road blocks during the build. There was a flaw in my circiut design for the backlight. Transistors have a high voltage side and a low voltage side. My design was backwards so there was not enough forward voltage for the LEDs to light up. As a compromise I removed the transistor and added a bridge to bypass the microcontroller. Unfortunately this means the backlight will not be adjustable though it will still work.

Next I flashed the custom QMK firmware. I had to make a few adjustments and re-flash since not all the keys were registering as the right input. Before assembling the plate and switches I tested all the key inputs with a jumper cable. Once everything was working, I proceeded to place all the switches in the steel keyplate and sandwich the plate and PCB together. This took two attempts since the first time a couple of pins bent rather than going into the PCB.

Then I soldered all the switches into place. I decided to go with Gateron blacks for this project. Finally I added all the LEDs. I recommend testing them before soldering. One LED was a dud and had to be replaced.

Despite the setbacks the keyboard looks and feels great. It’s too bad the backlight controller does not work. I could dim it a bit by replacing 104 resistors on the back. Think I’ll just call it good though. Next I may 3D print a backplate for protection, though it’s perfectly usable as is.

4 Likes

Looks great! Awesome project

I finished printing the sides of the backplate and added some pads. There will be a center piece as well though this will be my last update on this blog.

I had to cut the plate to make room for the capacitors. The pads are deep enough they keep the caps from touching the ground.

And that’s it minus the center piece that I’ll be adding later. This was a fun project and a good leaning experience.

3 Likes

Looks good with out a centre piece.

1 Like

Yeah. I was actually considering leaving it and saving on filament. It’s stiff enough that it should be fine without it.

1 Like