[BUILD] Custom 3u workstation case

I have been using a 4u rack mount case that was probably designed in the 90’s and built in 2008. Given my success in creating an aluminum SFF for my youngest I have decided that I am foolish enough to build a case for myself.

My goal is to fit a full ATX with room for full sized (or stupid oversized) graphics card, water cooling, redundant power supply and fit in a 3RU form factor.

Why 3RU? because my rack is running out of room and 3 RU looks better than 4 RU IMO. Density is sexy.

So where did this start, and where is it going…

This was the case I started with, a yellow 4u short depth ATX Workstation case. It came with a hard-drive cage but no hotswap.

First was a paint job, because Yellow just contrasted too much.

Next I modified it to fit a 240mm Radiator into it, but it was very tight in space. This pic was just prior to cutting out the old HD cage to shove my radiator into it.

So, the plan, and step one…

Sketch it out!

Part 2:

Test “fit” the layout

Cut and assemble the case!
/* WIP */

6 Likes

Mofo just linus tech tips a gaming computer

other way around! I have had my gaming PC in a full sized rack in my basement connected over fiber optic display port for years! Only difference is he had a custom proto-case rackmount while I had an off the shelf 4 RU. Now I am building a full custom 3 RU and upgrading my water cooling to this decade.

These are all from 2005-2006

I have been rack mounting, home labbing, water cooling, overclocking, volt modding for over 20 years.

3 Likes

What the bloody hell is that

That was a direct die water cooled Athlon 64 on a DFI Lanparty motherboard. I took a Lan-li knock off aluminum case did a window mod (a new concept 20 years ago). I also modded in a 2nd screen for Win Amp visualizations and hacked the thermo couple readout from a Koolance case into it.

That wonderful glow is from cathode tubes, and hand wired orange LEDs on the fans.

To this day I use the heatspreader from that CPU as a key chain!

6 Likes

I’m the kind of person that’d keep that build XD

Course the last big mod like that I did I took a Dell Dimension XPS apart and put a Dimension 670 board in it, swapped out the coolers for some double towers, and played with gpu mods on it

Same, but Wife thought it was junk…

1 Like

People are so disrespectful

I have had my gaming PC in a full sized rack in my basement connected over fiber optic display port for years

High five

This is seriously the best setup/layout upgrade I’ve done. Never cared too much about noise, but getting rid of the heat is wonderful.

1 Like

Hi Log, I’d like to ask you and @infinitevalence about the whole optical cable extension setup/idea.

Does it need a pci card in the machine, then optical to the monitor, or do you have to go through a KVM?

And just long USB cables to the peripherals? or a optical to to a hub, then all hanging off that?
and just a single monitor?

I saw a vid of LTT doing optical thunderbolt (iirc) to a hub, and monitor/mouse/keyboard off that, but would require thunderbolt, which at the time meant intel CPU / apple

sorry to derail from the 3U goodness…

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=optical+displayport+cable&sprefix=optical+display%2Caps%2C165&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_3_15

There are lots of options, and so far mine have been rock solid. Mine run from my basement, through a 2" conduit into my attic, across my house in the attic, and then down an exterior wall. Its about 100’ cable feet.

For USB things are less good. Your options are $$$$ or $, so either you spend $1000 on a fiber USB 3 extender or you spend $5 on cheap USB 2.0 over CATx extenders. I opted for the CATx extenders.

I have a local KVM at my desk because I wanted my work laptop accessible to the same monitor/keyboard/mouse, but you could probably do it in reverse with the KVM remote and only pull 1 set of extenders to your desk unlike my 3 sets.

You could also do KVM to KVM where you have a KVM in the rack extended to your KVM at your desk and just use different hot keys to change them or some other type of software switch depending on the types of KVM you use.

This is the only reliable USB extender I know of that can do USB 3.0+

Looks like they have a new product that is under $800!

2 Likes

Crikey, nothing needed to boost it, or convert the video signal? just plug in as a normal (very long) cable? That is pretty darn good. and a couple for $100 or less, not too dear either.

Thanks man! that seems a lot less hassle and faff that I was expecting
I thought optical would require a card to convert and boost and stuff.

1 Like

yeah it gets power from the Display Port and has carries it through. They are directional so you cant use them backwards.

2 Likes

I’ll make a separate post about a various of options later this week, but I use this DisplayPort cable and for usb connectivity I use an Extron USB extender plus (2.0/1.1 only) from eBay which doesn’t require it’s own line, it’s compatible with an existing network and switches (which is rare). The extron is plugged into the sfp+/RJ45 switch in the garage, runs over OM4 fiber to my room and then is converted back to RJ45.

So basically I have two fiber cables run to my room. Though these days you could likely do a single 24 fiber MPO that supports everything when split with various DisplayPort sfp+ extenders rather than a dedicated cable. Though when DP 2.0 (80 gbps) comes out and extenders for that finally become affordable, It’ll likely require the entire 24 fiber MPO (100 gbps).

1 Like

Sweet thread!

I like the yellow personally. It makes me think of vintage cars.

I also love the “antique” gaming PC, that’s a really nicely done mod.

Small update, progress has been delayed by wife aggro over an unfinished basement wall!

But im still working on it, this is the potential design for the front face plate.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 273 days. New replies are no longer allowed.