BSOD on new SSD and Windows 11 install

I keep getting the BSOD. I keep checking the DMP files and am getting mixed results. First its saying firefox is the culprit, then other things.

I put a new SSD in as well as reinstalled Windows 11 and it crashed first thing. I checked the DMP file that was generated and it told me OneDrive caused the crash. I’m wondering if I have a CPU, MOBO or RAM issue at this point.

Also, it keeps giving me script errors.

There really is some funky stuff going on with FireFox right now. Windows loves to yank their chain. That aside the last Windows 11 system update was generating all sorts of issues for people.

Which SSD?

Yeah, that makes sense after it was all updated, which it was doing. However, on a new install, no updates taken, 30 seconds in, it crashed…

1TB Team, T-Force Vulcan Z, i put these in machines all the time and never have issues. The original was an ADATA SU630 and it was crashing. Both are crashing, im assuming its not the SSD’s then…

Remove the external video card if possible, Run memtest86+ for 10h or so, boot a Linux LiveCD (Manjaro or whatever) run 7zip benchmark or something similar for a 4+ hours and go from there.

I love how a Linux boot is regularly suggested for a windows related problems.

First question, is this a new build and have you had this system working? If so what happened directly before the crashes? Between when it worked before and now something has happened. Have to find out what that was.

For example if everything was working fine then you updated or installed something and after that had problems, well if it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, probably is one.

If you didn’t catch on it’s a simple way to boot something that (likely) works instead of a broken/unstable install but if you have a better idea of testing stability without jumping though hoops go ahead.

No no sorry. I understand the reasoning for it. I just personally like to breakdown issues to cause and effect. Also I just intentionally assume that people don’t have Linux laying around and if their computer is blue screening are not likely to be able to download it.

I like to think like the average computer user, what are they going to be able to easily do.

You’ve yet to suggest another solution, you can also already conclude that something is defective by the information you already have and you need to verify it. Why does it matter if it never worked? It just verifies that some (again) is defective. You have no idea if the current OS is corrupted by now so using it as a base for diagnostics would likely not help.

If the system was working and then he changed or installed or updated something right before the issues started at least that is a good place to look.

Your suggestions were good, I was not being critical. I just feel it is important to make sure he has access to and actually can use those tools.

What if he doesn’t have a bootable linux cd/usb?

Do you have a second system that you can install the drive into to test them in to verify its not the drives?

Also on what system did you create the bootable windows install media? If it was on the original drive that was giving you the problems the it’s fair to say the issues would follow to the new install on the the new ssd.

Yeah, I do. I actually own and operate a PC repair shop. I have multiple work stations and parts i can use to test.

The machine was running fine. The customer clicked on a phishing attempt so I reinstalled Windows. It did have Windows 10 on it and i enabled TPM 2.0, secure boot and put Windows 11 on it. After that fresh install of Windows 11 and enabling the settings in BIOS to allow Windows 11 to run, was when it crashed. So thinking about it now, I wonder if I revert them back to Windows 10 if that would fix it?

I will definitely have to run a RAM test and see how that fairs. I did do a Cinebench and a heaven benchmark at the same time and stress tested the hell out of it and the GPU was fine but I did notice that Cinebench would freeze after 12 minutes. I did this for fun as I was assuming this was a software issue NOT a hardware issue. I will run a RAM memory test next…just for fun… and see what happens.

I guess I will try Windows 10 with LEGACY mode… see how this goes.

BTW, the scripting issue is new. It was just crashing to BSOD on the Windows 11 install. The new, second install of Windows 11 is now doing a scripting error. This chain of events is confusing. Usually fresh installs clear allot up…

Don’t rule out that the windows install had a hiccup. Try it againg and see if fixes it!

1 Like

As someone who just solved a year old old issue with his pc involving fTPM being on in an AMD system, don’t underestimate what turning on TPM can do to a system. Not saying that is it but just saying.

1 Like

I would go with that first, yes.

1 Like

Hirens boot cd has a bsod dump analyser
Ive only used it twice for the bsod and it quickly points out the error.
Aside from that if you dont create an emergency boot disk, you are stuck with using the original install media and choosing the repair option( if it has it)

I find many people are a little bit leary of even trying linux because it is out of their comfort zone.
Aside from that its the lack and questionable ability to run sith ware.
Sure wine works for some but not all.

What we term a BSOD is a Windows based PC crying out for “HELP!”.
Reading your post gives me the Chills! You mention two things that I absolutely will not allow on any of my 12 PC’s. The first thing I delete after I’ve installed Windows 11 (or any recent level of OS) is One Drive. As a computer security fanatic, I see One Drive as a HUGE security hole.
So get rid of that!!!
Then the next thing you mention is another HUGE cause of countless PC problems. That would be MS Updates. You can shut that OFF, if you know how, or just download and run “StopUpdates10.exe” . It will let you Hard Block any MS Updates, and still give you the option of turning them back on at a later date, if you want to. I like having a program telling me “MS Updates are Hard Blocked!”

Then look in Task Manager and see what’s starting up when you boot up your PC. Disable anything that you don’t absolutely HAVE to have running all the time.

I would just bet, that if you’ll do those three things, your BSOD’s will cease.
I run my own PC’s as clean, lean and mean as possible, and I NEVER have BSOD’s.
Cheers Mate!
TM :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Ok, this could be an overheating issue, since both cinnench and Firefox locked hard.

Have you verified the cpu fan spins well without broken bearings, and repaste the cpu. If it was a diy computer or just cheap the cpu paste could be suspect.

Also run memtest I usually see bad ram twice a year if I manage 80 servers full of ram. Retail machines probably have 5% the amount of ram per computer, so you will encounter it less often, but it it does occur fairly often.

1 Like

I usually use microsoft autoruns:

to find out what is in the startup list. It should never have malware being a tool from microsoft.