Browser Wars

imo on mobile it seems a lot better then firefox.
tl;dr it’s chrome on mobile with blocking for scripts, ads, and uses HTTPs.

• I can play a video in the background after my screen turns off (thanks firefox for removing that feature).
  • It got a script blocking and adblock before firefox (took them long enough)

Is there a inside joke Im missing or is it just electron having a poor security implementation?

RIP
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/01/20/brave_adblocking_browser/

1 Like

I mean, browsers are probably the only programs for which electron is actually be a reasonable choice

1 Like

I’m not trying to argue here. Electron is a browser, so using it for browsers sure makes more sense than for chat programs and text editors

1 Like

That’s true, I suppose. I just think electron is for people who don’t know how to spell C++.

Also, no.

It’s not “chrome”. It’s based off electron, which is based off a forked V8, which is the javascript engine for Chrome. Doesn’t mean it’s chrome.

uh, yeah. that must be the botnet /g/ were talking about.

So, Brave is off the table, Firefox is off the table, chrome and chromium are off the table, I guess that leaves us ungoogled chromium as the hero we need right now.

3 Likes

I would call you out on the shady stuff. The ouster of the CEO happened quite a while ago. Agree with the reasoning or not, that had nothing to do with the tech behind the browser.

In regards to recommendations, I would recommend FireFox beta/nightly channel depending on how bleeding edge you want to be. I was a big Opera supporter but since the sale, it went down hill and the original creator came out of retirement to launch Vivaldi. He did not like what his creation had become.

I don’t care for chrome but use it on mobile because… Android. I would not hesitate to mention chromium but there are some resteictions there.

I run FF nightly and with the new technologies that Mozilla is backing in with servo, FF should win back some market share within the next year.

4 Likes

Brave is easily one of the best mobile browsers.
For desktop i always find chrome(ium) to have the most consistent performance, hoping Firefox will get good after 57.

Thanks for your input. FF is the only browser I use currently. I hope to expand out if it makes sense, but I also want to be sure i’m not being duped into believing it’s too good to be true.

Thanks for enhancing the conversation.

Well can’t recommend a browser per-se, since it all winds up so far by personal need & preference. But, to cut to my choice, it’s either firefox (still) or icecat.
As much as I love Chromium, my biggest gripe with it and derivatives is that it needs the sys_admin capability by default, which basically means it runs as root on linux, which I’m not too comfy with.
Might be tinfoilery but idk.
Dunno how it works in win/osx.

1 Like

How’s Vivaldi nowadays, haven’t tried it in since early 2016 at which time it sucked.

Def not tinfoilery (lol on the terminology)

Instead of bitching about electron, how about we come back into scope and discuss other other browsers?

A new browser to just hit 1.0 is qutebrowser.

qutebrowser is a keyboard-focused browser with a minimal GUI. It’s based on Python and PyQt5 and free software, licensed under the GPL.
It was inspired by other browsers/addons like dwb and Vimperator/Pentadactyl.

So those of you that like i3 and tmux might enjoy this one.

2 Likes

Well the thing is that it needs the cap for its own sandboxing feature, which supposedly someone said somewhere on the net sometime that it drops the privs instantly after it has started, but there’s so much I don’t understand about computers I’m just playing it my own way lol.
It doesn’t need the cap if you run chromium (and derivatives) with the --no-sandbox flag but then again, that’s not good either.

1 Like

I’d seen this on on /g/, hadn’t played with it much since I’ve moved away from i3 for a while, but might get back into it sooner or later. Probably going to focus more on awesome though. Lua scripting is nice.

EDIT: accidentally a word

1 Like

I do enjoy tmux… Thanks for the suggestion and for focusing the scope.

Here’s another neat one. Seamonkey

The SeaMonkey project is a community effort to develop the SeaMonkey all-in-one internet application suite (see below). Such a software suite was previously made popular by Netscape and Mozilla, and the SeaMonkey project continues to develop and deliver high-quality updates to this concept. Containing an Internet browser, email & newsgroup client with an included web feed reader, HTML editor, IRC chat and web development tools, SeaMonkey is sure to appeal to advanced users, web developers and corporate users.

With the recent stuff mozilla is pulling, I think that the boys at Iceweasel/Icecat will switch over to seamonkey.

1 Like

That’s cool, but the AIO feature doesn’t fit my use case. To each their own.

Definitely didn’t know something like this still existed though.

2 Likes

Another neat browser you guys may have never heard of is Sleipnir. Their mobile client is awesome.

wiki

From the wiki:

Sleipnir was originally developed by Yasuyuki Kashiwagi. In November 2004, the computer containing Sleipnir’s source code was stolen.[6] In 2005, Kashiwagi established Fenrir & Co. to start development of a new version of Sleipnir. Starting with version 2, the new versions are not compatible with the original.
As of 2006 Sleipnir had 6% market share in Japan.[7]
Sleipnir was one of twelve browsers originally offered in a browser ballot screen on the EU edition of Windows 7 (and XP and Vista with an update),[8][9] so users could choose between Internet Explorer and other browsers during the installation process.
The stable version, 5.0, was released on December 24, 2013[10] with the latest Blink engine. The latest stable version is 6.0.

1 Like

Gotta love the norse mythology. Thanks for the suggestion, I’ll spin up a vm later to test.

1 Like

You’re welcome. :slight_smile:

Those have been the most exotic browsers I’ve tried over the years. They all seem to cater to a specific niche.

1 Like