Book of the Month - Jan/Feb Neuromancer by William Gibson

Huh, I didn't have that problem at all. I thought it was pretty straight forward. Though perhaps it was easier for me as I am a big SciFi nerd and many of lingo/troupes/concepts are familiar to me. Pretty much all you talked about is in the book in black and white tbh

But I know where you are coming from, I've had books given to me that are "the best book ever!" And it is a slog to read do to me not grooving with the writing style. Guess Gibson isn't your jam.

I will say I haven't read many sci-fi books. Ones I could recall are Ender's Game, I' Robot, Tao series by Wesley Chu, a semi-decent sci-fi romance novel called Solar Heat, Brave New World, Hunger games if you want to count that, ... Huh, I haven't read many sci-fi books at all. I'm behind although that really isn't new. I'm behind on everything.

The thing is the book talked about A.I and that shit interests me but Gibson didn't do good job conveying that to me. I didn't mean to make my post black & white because if it wasn't straightforward to everyone, then it wouldn't be successful.

1 Like

Oh I'm not knocking ya for it, like I said, how an author writes can pretty much mess a reader up if its just not jiving with them.

It can be intangible and hard to quantify. I read a book one time, forget the name, and just the way the author used commas and how the sentences were set up due to that threw me off.

And I am in no way a authority or master of the written word lol but it pretty much ruined it for me.

1 Like

Neuromancer - Thoughts
This is my 2nd time reading it. One thing Gibson does well in this book is world building like the description of the Sprawl. I however would get confused in some parts as to what was going on. I thought it was okay. I did like the sequel better though. I think that is due in part that Gibson had improved on what he had done before.

2 Likes

@Eden @anon69321716

Audio up?

Yup

You'll need to copy the audio link and open in a new tab, there working on the Ajax bug.

3 Likes

Tanks

2 Likes

I completely agree with you. I felt like Gibson had some how managed to write about characters without caring about them at all. He wanted to tell the story of a theoretical future and here he spent far more effort constructing the settings and atmosphere of the events than he put into character development. Great observation.

1 Like

This is especially true of science fiction and of anyone who has ever read "A Clockwork Orange." Rough stuff and you absolutely need something in the story to speak to you if you're going to invest the time to decipher where the author is going.

read most of the thread.now Ive got to read the book.I normally lurk but this looks less than toxic

1 Like

If only I didn't leave the discord chat, I think we could have a good back and forth on this. Did you guys talk about the characters and story? I remember I need to download the recording.

I listened to the whole thing in 1 go. not really my cup of tea but i like the thread and am always open to new ideas

Regarding the "why cyberspace looks like that": I believe it's based on or at least influenced by the buzz used back then when describing telecommunications: "information superhighway".

Well I finished the book today, and now I'm wondering about what happens in the next two books.
Also makes me think about who the Ashpools of today are? Google, Facebook, the bankers?

Btw, about the movie cast: I'm sticking with Ralph Fiennes for Armitage, although I don't know if he is even able to put on some weight for the role. I've thought about the other characters and still can't put a familiar face on the character of Case. I've pinned Brian Dennehy to Ratz by the time I was finished, too.

And that's about it.

1 Like

They are making a Neuromancer movie? Hopefully it's more coherent than the book for me. At least the world building will be easier on a movie.

There's no movie, really :D
We were just discussing hypothetically... IF there were a move, who would you cast as each character?

I realize this is an old thread but I listened to the audio book of Neuromancer (featuring William Gibson reading it) I enjoyed the book itself....I did not enjoy Gibson's reading...I found him to be super flat and downright boring.

2 Likes

I felt the same way. maybe if laurence fishburne read it then it be something else.

1 Like

I think Fishburne would be a great choice

@weekendgameguy. @pablopg69

I dont know if you have seen it. But this months recommendation thread is still open.

...maybe you did. I just realized it was pinned.....