Black hole type storage solution?

Looking for some pointers to create a black hole style type storage solution. Something I can just throw odd sized drives at, then expand the current storage pool over into.

So having a 1TB drive in a system, then throwing a 2TB and expanding, then after a while throwing another 1TB into it to expand further. obviously I’m fine with it being as strong as it’s weakest link.

Does any such software exist? - ZFS maybe?

LVM will do this. And of course unRaid.

Definitely not ZFS.

2 Likes

zfs is all about redundacy and data protection. it does not work for JOBD type of raid solutions. where you can add more at any time.

1 Like

based on the title … /dev/null will hold all the data you can throw at it.

10 Likes

You can use ZFS to do span just like with LVM… if you arent trying to have some raid solution then just adding each drive as its own vdev will essentially create a spanned volume.

1 Like

Losing one drive will lose the whole pool with ZFS though. How will LVM handle something like that?

BTRFS

you can just pool them together

https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Using_Btrfs_with_Multiple_Devices

2 Likes

Probably not good with any storage provider. Pretty sure with LVM you’ll lose logical volumes that are on that disk but not the entire volume group. A benefit to LVM is you can configure “important” stuff to mirror to more than one disk, without having to mirror everything.

1 Like

I guess the question should be, what kind of redundancy do you want?

1 Like

Pick your poison

1 Like

Synology hybrid raid

each drive as a vdev. just send it

2 Likes

gotta go fast!

Seriously, I dont know what you’re doing with this ‘hardware’ but if its not currently running an OS or you are flexible on that, synology hybrid raid is as close as you can get without sacrificing redundancy.

Ceph is what you’re looking for…

What kind of hentai is this?

I do not need any redundancy. Files will only be held for 1 - 2 days max

JUST DO IT™

and post benchmarks for the lulz

1 Like

use LVM and as many molex to sata adapters as possible

1 Like

You went 0-100 real quick