Bizarre issue with fitting the GPU into the PCIe slot

Hi!

So I finally finished building my pc (Tenfilip - Saved Part Lists - PCPartPicker), pretty much a dream pc for me.

However, I can’t fit the card (nor the old 1080Ti) to get into the slot - the end from the IO side just is too low, and the the other part (where the slot lock is) is to low and touches the SATA port. If I install the GPU on mobo outside the case (on a desk), it sits nice and hovers above the SATA slot. I remember having some minor issues with previous motherboard (MSI Z370 SLI PLUS) but it worked after some fitting for few months (I got the GPU before rest of the new gear).

What is important, the card’s IO plate does touch the screw mounting surface, but the part with outputs seems to be not perfectly aligned with case. Also, to screw it in I had to move it a millimeter.

As a result, the card is not seen by system - good luck I can use the integrated one.

I tried the following:

• remove the backplates from other slots
  • check the spacers between mobo and case
  • fit another card (similar issue)
  • fit to other port (similar issue)
  • insert the mobo with graphic card already in it (and cpu cooling and ram), yes, its AIO :smiley:
  • moving the board a bit left/rigth.
  • checking for extra objects between the board and the case
    -pushing the card into mobo with some force
  • swearing

I would appreciate any suggestions.

It would appear that your graphics card is installed at an angle where the “front” (pcb finger edges closer to IO portion of card) are not fully seated due to the IO bracket shelf stopping the card from fully inserting.

Perhaps you aren’t using the right height standoffs beneath your motherboard?
The fitting of your IO shield doesn’t look right either:

I suppose it’s possible the case is warped too. Any obvious signs of damage on it?

This particular aspect of the seemingly bad fitment is actually part of the ATX specification; when I designed a case I purposely disobeyed that part of the spec so that I could more easily plug things into PCIe cards.

4 Likes

Thank you for quick reply!

Not, there is is no sign of damage on the case, at least no yet - I am loosing my patience :wink: I have this case for 5 years or more, it’s very solid, weights like 18kg. Also fractal design is considered an ok brand.

The IO shield of the motherboard in fact does seem to be too low for me. It comes attached to the motherboard, so I cannot move in relation to the motherboard.
I tried getting it higher, to be more in the center of the “window” for it in the case, but it just falls.

“Perhaps you aren’t using the right height standoffs beneath your motherboard”

Perhaps I am, I was thinking about adding some washers or something just to get the board a bit higher. Thing is - don’t the all come in one size? I assume they came with the case.

TBH I was thinking to cut out this part of the case. I thought GPU producer fault to put the port so close to case metal, but I see it sources from ATX issues.
BTW can I ask which board you did?

Try bending the metal tabs at the bottom of the gpu io plate outwards just a hair. Looks like they aren’t going into their slots under the motherboard tray.

1 Like

Looks like I get just 1 set of spacers with the case, so it’s rather unlikely that I’m using wrong ones (I assume):

Try bending the metal tabs at the bottom of the gpu io plate outwards just a hair. Looks like they aren’t going into their slots under the motherboard tray.

That’s a valid idea, but the screwing mount of the metal plate (DP/HDMI) on GPU is touching the screwing mount (see 1st and 4th photo). This makes it a bit bizarre - I would need to bend this metal plate (or the case) in order to push the card towards the mobo.

It’s not necessarily a death sentence if the outside of the connectors are touching the case, it’s all ground anyway (and not signal ground).

See how it lines up once it’s in all the way.

Not sure what do you mean? I really can’t push it even more, so not sure what you mean by “See how it lines up once it’s in all the way.”? If you just talking about the ports - not a real issue for now :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

One would assume, to prevent any ambiguity on which ones to install.
Can you measure the length of the spacers/stand-offs that are currently in use? it seems like some come in 6mm variety and some 8mm, I think the 8mm long ones are right for this case.

The problem with cutting the edge is the metal won’t be powder coated like the rest of the chassis on the cut… depending on your level of OCD this might be a problem, haha this train of thought might be more of a reflection on me though.

Its a subtle ~1mm offset, but this is what the back of the case I did looks like, which is technically not within ATX specification for the IO cutouts:

This is supposed to be the thread on the case but I need to update it:

These are ones which likely came with the case, according the the reviewer. I also have only 1 spare in my collection and looks like it and is 6.55 mm long (ignoring the thread of course). I will do my best to measure the distance of the board to the case (the pc I assembled currently), to be sure.

If I dont see it, it does not exist :smiley: I used to cut hdd in a case just to fit longer graphic card. I did it with metal cutting scissors :smiley:

It’s rad you did your case!

2 Likes

Ok, I just checked and It does look like the one I got loose is same as the ones I got in case installed. So likely I should find 9 8mm ones, exchange and check again.

I just looked at the PCIE slot and this 1,5 would give some improvement. Question is, if the mobo IO shield will still fit:)

Any other suggestions are welcomed:)

Just can confirm that my Display port cables also contact the case brackets when i plug them into the gpu. Its really annoying, but as these are ground iam not too worried.

My point is I’d bet the reason your GPU isn’t seating all the way is because the tabs I mentioned aren’t getting into their slots correctly. You can see them in one of your pictures.

1 Like

You need to remover the unnecessary “gamer plastic” motherboard manufacturers insist on polluting boards with

It’s the larger circle that’s attached to the motherboard

4 Likes

The tabs are getting in the slots, just not deep enough. I can see that by looking from other side of the case.

Thanks, as suggested - I removed this for further testing, as it does seem like trash, there is nothing under it that needs protection. That being said - I think there should be enough clearance to slot in the GPU - when inserting the GPU on the desk, it did not cause any issues and the card got deep enough. Still, I take any help I can get, and this looks like it wont hurt.

For now, I will probably try to install the board with something extra on the 3 standoffs near IO ports, also not screwing them in. This should allow for minor bend which should grant me extra distance from screw-in bracket, and thus I should close the GPU gap.

This is an odd situation, because it looks like the motherboard IO shield could move up some without issue, making the longer standoffs seem correct, but I looked online and it seems everyone else with fractal cases are using the ~6.5mm standoffs.

One more question: most fractal cases come with a dowel/peg installed in one of the standoff holes to help guide the motherboard in during installation. That dowel isn’t poking the back of the motherboard and making it bow/bend is it?

1 Like