Best graphics card for the money

Yep still saving and looking to get the best bang for my buck, running a ASUS Radeon R9 270X R9270X with windows 7 64. What would you suggest this will mainly be for gaming things like no mans sky, destiny 2, boarderlands and the like.

Thanks much

NVidia GTX 1080

2 Likes

Userbenchmark shows the GTX1070 and RX580 as some top value to performance cards.

And ive seen the both at discount for black Friday.

gpu.userbenchmark.com

1 Like

7 Likes

/thread

1 Like

What da…?

1 Like

4 Likes

I think that’s just like actual benchmarks and stuff, but OK…

4 Likes

Performance per dollar is worthless without absolute performance, so 1070ti/1080.

2 Likes

I know it’s unfair to factor in overclocking. However, if you undervolt a vega 56 and set the power target to +50% you can get it to perform better than a stock 1080 and at a lower wattage.

1 Like

6 Likes

For price/perofrmance, either:

GTX 1080

RX 590? (yes, this is a thing and it smokes the GTX 1060’s ass, watch NVidia make a GTX 1060 Ti)

RX 580

RX 570

GTX 1060? (6 GB)

Depending on the GPU performance you want, GTX 1080 performs much better than the other cards listed and the RX 590 is second place on this list.

1 Like

here is one (of many) example.

keep in mind this is an old video an updated drivers have improved this.
1 Like

I appreciate the video. I skimmed it to get the numbers. It did under or just as good. You made it sound like it rolled out and smoked a 1080. Exaggerating on my end, of course.

I’ll take a gander, but I’m hard pressed to buy into any of that. Assuming price is a factor, I don’t see why you wouldn’t spend a hundred extra dollars on something that STOCK settings are as good or better than an overclocked competitor. Just OC the better stock card and have incredible performance.

1 Like

Vega 64 for $400:

2 Likes

Well the OP wants best GPU / dollar. It’s very area dependant.

At 1080 level for starting to pay a lot for little. If your monitor is 1080p then your kind of throwing money away.

It’s also game dependant. If your not a twitch based gamer and more a RPG or turn based gamer. You can save even more money.

Hardware Unboxed has tons of benchmarks on games and its down to what’s on sale when you buy. Next week is black friday rite so there should be some deals.

3 Likes

The best gpu per $ is probably some trash card on eBay. You need to come up with your minimum acceptable performance and then look there. Is there something your 270 doesn’t do?

There’s pretty good prices on the AMD and Nvidia side depending on where you want to be. There’s 1060 6gb going for $230 right now which is p good deal and the 580 can be had for around $200. Both are probably more than enough to do what you want.

Which camp do you want to be in?

4 Likes

So my first question is, obviously, what is your price point? 200? 400? This matters a lot. For me I look at the amount of VRam that a card is going to have. I run everything at medium anyways, so I don’t really care if I have the best card on the planet or not. Some may, I go for longevity for what I do. So for me, RX580 or a 1070 is my best thing.

Now, as it happpens, I am selling my RX580 as I am buying an oryx pro next month. ATM I’m even backing up data on my desktop to move to a thinkpad and I’m decommissioning most of my desktops. So if you want to buy it, PM me. Asking 215. If not? 1070 is probably the card I’d look at.

2 Likes

You can get the ASRock Vega 56 for $350 on Newegg

3 Likes

“Best graphics card for the money”

Define money.

2 Likes