B70 or R9700? (help decide)

Very interesting thread, and lots of great responses. Thought iโ€™d add in my 2c here.

I have a Truenas box with 64GB of RAM and an Arc B60 - running gpt-oss-20b as a reasoning agent. Itโ€™s true the Intel OSS stack is bad, but it is at least stable if you use one of their supported models. On gpt-oss-20b i can easily get a solid 40-50tok/sec and with tool calls it enriching the output it can be a genuine alternative to ChatGPT or Claude in conversational questions. Going up from 24 to 32GB and more XE cores/Matrix engines would allow the B70 to get 30-40% more and iโ€™d be inclined to go for a newer model. I am currently using the B60 to do some HomeAssist things but really it is just for testing & learning.

Regarding the 9700โ€™s - I have just ordered my 2nd unit for my home inference/agentic coding box. With 64GB of RAM (I only have a consumer Ryzen board, so also the same 24 PCIE lane limitation) - you run into all kinds of fun research and time sink endeavours, such as evaluating vllm vs llama-cpp, layer split vs tensor parallelism - etc.

My take is - if you want to go deep and learn the guts of how AI works, and you can justify it - eg it will help your work/job or ability to earn money - go dual GPUโ€™s and learn as much as you can. At a recent work talk our GM said that โ€œwe will need everyone to be AI specialistsโ€ - and i think it is true for everyone in the tech industry. We can all specialist in storage, compute or whatever, but having deep AI technical expertise is a future commodity that is worth spending time and effort growing into.

Anyway, getting myself back on track - Dual 9700โ€™s has allowed me to get around 60-80tok/sec with tensor parallelism on a few of the Anthropic distilled models on Huggingface such as Qwopus etc - and I use Forgecode as my harness on them to generate real, useable code. AMDโ€™s software stack is definately better than Intelโ€™s, but still not as good as NVIDIA. But at $4.4k AUD for 2 x R9700โ€™s and 64GB of VRAM, iโ€™m at 1/5th of the cost of a RTX6000 Pro with 95% of the benefit.

To polish my home system I have a cheap $20/mo Claude sub that i use to QA everything. The two Radeonโ€™s can easily pay for themselves quickly if you are a builder and factor in a even a $200/mo Claude Max 5X sub, when you are building multiple ideas/projects daily over the course of a month will cap you out pretty quickly - so having two 9700โ€™s that allows you to smash 80tok/sec+ 24x7 genuinely could enable you to build useful things.

So if you can afford it - my recommendation is to go Dual B70โ€™s if you can afford the time to get stuff running - but if you want more plug and play experience, go the Dual 9700โ€™s. Itโ€™s just easier :slight_smile:

โ€ฆWhy would anyone ever buy current Arc?

R9700 is probably the best for the money, but make 1000% sure you have a 12VHP native connection on your PSU.

Too bad the older cards with 24GBs of VRAM arenโ€™t cheap yet.

The irony is that, even with the recent pricing surge, a used RTX 3090 is still a better deal than a new B60 (as long as you only want one, given the cooling problems). For less money than the B60, theyโ€™re faster than the R9700.

Yeah, I contemplated getting a BattleMatrix setup, but decided against is because intel is so far behind the curve in terms of their software stack. I donโ€™t see them fix it before the card before would become obsolete.
As for the 12VHPWR connections, I think you can get away with the conversion cables?

I just ordered one of those cables for my 2019 Corsair power supply, only ยฃ15.

This looks interesting, although I donโ€™t suppose it changes anything

Most certainly do not use any kind of adapter cable, you gotta go all in on 12VHP with a new PSU built for it.

Though a lot of those special features for it really donโ€™t do anything special.

Or for almost the same price, you could get an M5 Macbook with 32GBโ€ฆ

Itโ€™s an official Corsair cable that works with their v4 outputs. I checked an lots of people seem happy with them? Itโ€™s a 1000W psu, Iโ€™m not sure what else would be different. Iโ€™ll do so more searching on it.

Ah, i thought you meant just a PCI-e โ†’ 12VHP

1 Like

Ahhh cool, no I should be ok. Thanks for the concern though, I donโ€™t really want any fires either :smiley:

Why?

12VHP is an actual dumpster fire:

But that is due to the 12VHPWR connector. I donโ€™t see how a 12VHPWR adapter cable, as supplied with the card, is different from a the 12VHPWR cable supplied with the PSU in this regard, as they both share the same problematic connector?

I donโ€™t really see the nvidia-style power connectors as a potential problem until youโ€™re north of 400w through that connector. That connector style has been in use in servers for > 10 years and at least for the max 350w typical application there, I have only seen one melted connector in that scenario ever.

It can be a tough choice between B70 and R9700.. I am running fresh tests on tp=4 on both of them and they have different interesting problems. The r9700s seem faster and hvae wider software support, but if what you want to do is supported by intelโ€™s llm-scaler that has been more consistently reliable over the longer term.

But Iโ€™m still doing lots of testing.

ps. dont sleep on the b60. 4x24gb is pretty awesome too.

2 Likes

Itโ€™s an interesting question, when you get to tp=4. Here in the UK youโ€™re spending ยฃ4800 on the GPUs for R9700 or B70, plus some kind of system that can run them in 4 x PCIE 5.0 x16; that means Threadripper or Xeon, which is another ยฃ5k or so.

At that point, youโ€™re not far off the price of a Blackwell RTX 6000 and any old PCIE 5.0 rig, which would smoke them both. Then it becomes a choice between (96GB + ridiculous performance + easy setup) and (128GB + reduced performance + setup headaches + software weirdness).

1 Like

Tbh if youโ€™re gonna Blackwell you should just go for two. And am5 as a host for two is pretty bananas

1 Like

R9700 acquired!

whichllm seems to not detect the BW:

โ•ญโ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€ Hardware Info โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ•ฎ
โ”‚ GPU 0: AMD Radeon AI PRO R9700 โ€” 31.9 GB (ROCm 7.0.11-arch1-1) โ€” BW: N/A                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         โ”‚
โ”‚ CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core Processor โ€” 12 cores (AVX2)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       โ”‚
โ”‚ RAM: 125.7 GB                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    โ”‚
โ”‚ Disk free: 703.1 GB                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              โ”‚
โ”‚ OS: linux                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        โ”‚
โ•ฐโ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ•ฏ

                                                 Recommended Models                                                  
โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”ณโ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”ณโ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”ณโ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”ณโ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”ณโ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”ณโ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”ณโ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”“
โ”ƒ   # โ”ƒ Model                                         โ”ƒ Params โ”ƒ Quant  โ”ƒ Published  โ”ƒ Downloads โ”ƒ Score โ”ƒ License  โ”ƒ
โ”กโ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ•‡โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ•‡โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ•‡โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ•‡โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ•‡โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ•‡โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ•‡โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”ฉ
โ”‚   1 โ”‚ Qwen/Qwen3.6-27B                              โ”‚  27.8B โ”‚  Q8_0  โ”‚ 2026-04-21 โ”‚      5.5M โ”‚  79.1 โ”‚ apache-โ€ฆ โ”‚
โ”œโ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”ผโ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”ผโ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”ผโ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”ผโ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”ผโ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”ผโ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”ผโ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”ค
โ”‚   2 โ”‚ google/gemma-4-31B-it                         โ”‚  32.7B โ”‚  Q6_K  โ”‚ 2026-03-11 โ”‚     11.3M โ”‚  75.9 โ”‚ apache-โ€ฆ โ”‚
โ”œโ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”ผโ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”ผโ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”ผโ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”ผโ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”ผโ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”ผโ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”ผโ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”ค
โ”‚   3 โ”‚ Qwen/Qwen3-30B-A3B                            โ”‚  30.5B โ”‚  Q8_0  โ”‚ 2025-04-27 โ”‚      2.1M โ”‚  68.3 โ”‚ apache-โ€ฆ โ”‚
โ”‚     โ”‚                                               โ”‚ (3.0Bโ€ฆ โ”‚        โ”‚            โ”‚           โ”‚       โ”‚          โ”‚
โ”œโ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”ผโ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”ผโ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”ผโ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”ผโ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”ผโ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”ผโ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”ผโ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”ค
โ”‚   4 โ”‚ google/gemma-4-26B-A4B-it                     โ”‚  26.5B โ”‚  Q8_0  โ”‚ 2026-03-11 โ”‚     12.1M โ”‚  66.4 โ”‚ apache-โ€ฆ โ”‚
โ”‚     โ”‚                                               โ”‚ (3.8Bโ€ฆ โ”‚        โ”‚            โ”‚           โ”‚       โ”‚          โ”‚
โ”œโ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”ผโ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”ผโ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”ผโ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”ผโ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”ผโ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”ผโ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”ผโ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”ค
โ”‚   5 โ”‚ zai-org/GLM-4.7-Flash                         โ”‚  31.2B โ”‚  Q6_K  โ”‚ 2026-01-19 โ”‚      1.1M โ”‚  65.4 โ”‚ mit      โ”‚
โ”‚     โ”‚                                               โ”‚ (12.0โ€ฆ โ”‚        โ”‚            โ”‚           โ”‚       โ”‚          โ”‚
โ”œโ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”ผโ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”ผโ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”ผโ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”ผโ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”ผโ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”ผโ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”ผโ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”ค
โ”‚   6 โ”‚ Qwen/QwQ-32B                                  โ”‚  32.8B โ”‚  Q6_K  โ”‚ 2025-03-05 โ”‚     58.5K โ”‚  65.3 โ”‚ apache-โ€ฆ โ”‚
โ”œโ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”ผโ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”ผโ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”ผโ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”ผโ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”ผโ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”ผโ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”ผโ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”ค
โ”‚   7 โ”‚ deepseek-ai/DeepSeek-R1-Distill-Qwen-32B      โ”‚  32.8B โ”‚  Q6_K  โ”‚ 2025-01-20 โ”‚    561.6K โ”‚  64.3 โ”‚ mit      โ”‚
โ”œโ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”ผโ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”ผโ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”ผโ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”ผโ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”ผโ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”ผโ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”ผโ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”ค
โ”‚   8 โ”‚ openai/gpt-oss-20b                            โ”‚  21.5B โ”‚  Q8_0  โ”‚ 2025-08-04 โ”‚      7.6M โ”‚  62.9 โ”‚ apache-โ€ฆ โ”‚
โ”‚     โ”‚                                               โ”‚ (3.6Bโ€ฆ โ”‚        โ”‚            โ”‚           โ”‚       โ”‚          โ”‚
โ”œโ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”ผโ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”ผโ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”ผโ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”ผโ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”ผโ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”ผโ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”ผโ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”ค
โ”‚   9 โ”‚ Qwen/Qwen3-14B                                โ”‚  14.8B โ”‚  Q8_0  โ”‚ 2025-04-27 โ”‚      1.8M โ”‚  61.8 โ”‚ apache-โ€ฆ โ”‚
โ”œโ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”ผโ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”ผโ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”ผโ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”ผโ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”ผโ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”ผโ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”ผโ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”ค
โ”‚  10 โ”‚ mistralai/Mistral-Small-3.2-24B-Instruct-2506 โ”‚  24.0B โ”‚  Q8_0  โ”‚ 2025-06-19 โ”‚    592.6K โ”‚  61.4 โ”‚ apache-โ€ฆ โ”‚
โ””โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”ดโ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”ดโ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”ดโ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”ดโ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”ดโ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”ดโ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”ดโ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”˜
  Top pick confidence: High (direct benchmark, gap +3.2)
  Benchmark reference: 2026-05 curated snapshot; live AA / LiveBench / Aider merged when reachable.
  Speed caution: Low-confidence speed estimates in top ranks: #1, #2, #3

I do have rocm-smi installed:


WARNING: AMD GPU device(s) is/are in a low-power state. Check power control/runtime_status

========================================== ROCm System Management Interface ==========================================
==================================================== Concise Info ====================================================
Device  Node  IDs              Temp    Power  Partitions          SCLK    MCLK     Fan     Perf  PwrCap  VRAM%  GPU%  
              (DID,     GUID)  (Edge)  (Avg)  (Mem, Compute, ID)                                                      
======================================================================================================================
0       1     0x7551,   64501  43.0ยฐC  46.0W  N/A, N/A, 0         787Mhz  1258Mhz  24.71%  auto  300.0W  5%     19%   
======================================================================================================================
================================================ End of ROCm SMI Log =================================================

nvtop seems to detect it fine.

radeontop says UNKNOWN_CHIP:


Thanks again for everyoneโ€™s input. I will start with the R9700 in the main x16 slot with no 6750 for now. No x8/x8 mobo yet, just the one card to start with. Will see how loud it is for gaming, and if adjustments need to be made. Will report back.

Time to tinker!

1 Like

Ok, gaming first impressions. starting with CSGO:

I am kinda surprised CSGO consumes 12GB-13GB (1440p):

This card is definitely louder than the 6750. I donโ€™t have a db meter to quantify it.

Honestly, I was expecting worse. I usually play with headphones and if I simply turn my headphones up a little, itโ€™s not completely terrible. But CSGO is rather lightweight.

Trying out Cyberpunk now.

Oddly enough, it seems to be only pulling 9-10GB. How/why is CSGO consuming more VRAM than Cyberpunk?

I am actually able to use Ray tracing now! The 6750 wasnโ€™t playable with Ray Trace on.

Path Trace cuts the frames almost in half:

The fan seems a little bit louder with Cyberpunk than CSGO, its definitely doing work. But still not completely unbearable with headphones on.

I think the sound isnโ€™t a terribly bothersome actually. At least not for me. Others might be more bothered by it so YMMV.

Iโ€™ll get onto LLM testing soon.

2 Likes

Using this PR, radeontop now reports:

radeontop v1.4-30-g165bfce, running on Radeon 9000 (gfx1200) bus 0a, 120 samples/sec

I believe it should be gfx1201

Running rocm on a machine with a 6750 and an r9700 is not advised. Even a 9060 and an r9700 donโ€™t use the same parameters in the setup (9070 and r9700 do).

?

I have only the R9700 installed currently.