Audio issue in Win10 VM

So I’m running into a little issue with Windows 10.
The vm I use for steam runs well, but the updates had been borked, and it was stuck at 17.03 or 17.09 for literally years.
But yesterday, it decided to do a version “upgrade” but only had cumulative updates available.
When it rebooted a few times, the audio no longer works.
It seems some program called Audiodg.exe is playing up.
I presume it was already in the non-upgraded install, just no causing trouble.

My question is, can I do small, individual updates to stop the cumulative update?
When I roll back the OS to before the update, the vm works great, but it wants to update, and the audio program blocks even going into the settings app, and even stalls/delays opening any program that has audio.
If I remove any audio devices from the VM before booting, I don’t have a problem opening the settings app, or programs, but I don’t have any sound.
Has anyone else run into this? Do I just need to get a usb sound card?
For now I can run the vm with no sound, it’s just less fun.

Okay, did a fresh install, new VM, new copy of win10 install disk.

Same issue, audiodg.exe blovking the audio.
Tried all the different sound card options in VMM, 2 weren’t accepted yb eindows as sound devices, and the audiodg problem did not surface, just no sound.
The ones that were accepted as audio devices trigger the exe every time a sound app is launched.

I can suspend the app with sysinternals proc exp, and take control/rename it to stop it running, but then programs run, but no sound.

Have ordered a USB sound card, so will see Tuesday if that helps…

There is a setting in the system settings that prevents apps/programs from playing sound. I had that same problem some months ago. You should be able to find something googling it

Thanks man,
Was that a setting in the control panel just to disable some apps, or all programs?

Like going to the privacy section, and denying access to mic/spkr for all the apps listed?

Not control panel. This new Microsoft “Settings” thing. I don’t know exactly where it it, but if you put “Windows 10 no sound in programs” or similar i to google you’ll find it.

Thanks, was worth a shot. Appreciate the help

it possible because of the Win10 1903 update. Check this post: Windows VM Audio Stopped Working

Thanks man, did you use a USB souncard to get around it?

Or did you fix it/ or it go away?

Currently using scream and seems to work fine. For more info: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PCI_passthrough_via_OVMF#Passing_VM_audio_to_host_via_Scream_and_IVSHMEM

thanks man, will give it a go when windows forces the update next