Asus XG438Q Review & Perfect Monitor Settings

I can try it since I plan to use spaceo arms with this monitor anyway, but I don’t think the color of the sub pixel matters for the end quality. its just it will look bad when the [text smoothing] software assumes the opposite situation of reality. I think it looks fine w/cleartype off entirely too. but that’s old crt me speaking.

It would annoy the ever loving OCD out of me, so I would see about trying to fix the root of the problem with custom FPGAs like what Zisworks did for the Seiki TVs.

Would you be able to cover the “dark smearing” that other reviews have mentioned? I’m guessing it’s a bigger issue for people moving from IPS or TN to a VA panel, but as someone thats been using an AMH399U for the last 4 years, am I even going to notice?

I’ve noticed dark level smearing on my 60hz panel, but then again, it’s 60hz.

Overdrive modes are supposed to help some levels of dark level smearing.

How are you liking it? Couple questions… can it do 10bit at 98hz 4k like the Wasabi?

Is the panel 4:4:4 chroma capable?

*Just purchased one today, on it’s way. Looking forward to see how it runs.

1 Like

Here’s some reviews I’d dug up, see how they stack up with the review from @wendell when he publishes.

I’ve still got my finger on the trigger as I’m a bit on the fence, but I’ve got my eye on one with next day delivery… xD

1 Like

10bit becomes available at 96hz but for some reason won’t stick. At least haven’t found a way yet. Appears to be 4:4:4.

1 Like

I got that too but I think it was detecting noise on the line and dropping back. I had to get a cable matters cable then it was okay. The cable in the box was marginal.

1 Like

Let me know how it turns out. I think I have some cables around here somewhere to test.

*I wonder if you have to turn HDR or some setting off.

are you using freesync2 hdr or the asus one? (edit: oh, nvidia, guess not freesync2?)

1 Like

The Wasabi 43" 4k 120hz didn’t matter with those settings, granted it was HDR 400 I think… I’m thinking the same thing applies here. Firmware update maybe… I wonder if CRU can override. So far I’ve tried with HDR on and there’s only a freesync option

*This almost seems like it might be the same panel as the Wasabi though. Which is not a bad thing.

** Figured out so far that it does support 4096x2160. I’m currently trying to find a way to force 10 bit at 96hz

Just watched the review. There’s a mention of the BGR subpixel layout being attributable to the VA panel washing out at different viewing angles, but this is not elaborated on. I want to get this monitor, but I will potentially be running Windows, Linux and macOS on it, so I don’t want to mess with custom cleartype configs (if that is even possible on macOS, I imagine it is in Linux). What is the tradeoff if I mount it upside down on a monitor arm (other than having to set 180º rotation).

Also, my current monitor is the LG 43UD79-B which has an issue with the side edges fading off. I’m assuming this isn’t the case here but just want to be sure. I really hate it on the LG as I lose the first character or 2 of a terminal window that’s pinned to the edge of the screen.

I can shoot some more vid but there is broll of the side to side. You will have to change the osd displays but on the spaceco arm I didn’t see a problem using it upside down.

If you aren’t a tall person and you are looking “up” into the monitor that angle has the most color shift of any angle. Hence why it’s upside down. Probably.

1 Like

Not necessary. I have a good idea of what the color shift would be.

Ok, that makes sense then, although that’s quite a sacrifice. I think they would have been better off prioritizing a good legibility experience out-of-the box over color-shift for shorties. I’m going to feel a little stupid buying a $1100 monitor and mounting it upside down for usability.

I have the monitor either dead center on my eye level or slightly lower, so color shift shouldn’t be an issue.

On a separate note, how does cleartype negotiate subpixel layout on vertical screens?

It doesn’t negotiate squat. Hahaha.

You’ll be fine just follow the setups. I didn’t find it necessary to use it upside down but cleartype is disabled for me and I think that’s fine.

Oddly at 125% scaling it looks sharp either way . If you really want a brainf*ck just make a 1 pixel vertical line on Ms paint. Gotta be a bug in their overdriver or firmware. But it’s fine once you tweak the osd.

Macos is hard wired to RGB only afaik

1 Like

I figured. I wonder if there’s a quality difference between a clockwise or counter-clockwise rotation. I guess not, because it would just be uniform horizontal lines. You can imagine a crazy use-case where a display as a staggered subpixel layout to accommodate rotation.

Yeah, I’d assume so. I’ll turn it off and hopefully that will be fine.

Any plans on an upgraded displayport 1.4 kvm switch?

The 1.4dp kvm is about 90% done with engineering. Probably going to be one USBc port and 3 dp ports. USBc gives a free booster with USBc/dp chipsets because they’re all sketch. Perfect for Macs! Lol

Eta 2h 2020. Maybe. And $$$$

1 Like

Can’t wait. That will fit my use perfectly (dp workstation usb c laptop plus ports for tabletop projects).

Do you do trade-ins? lol

Wendell, have you tested this monitor with Ubuntu? It’s oddly specific but I’m running 19.04 at the moment and have ordered over half the parts for a new tower for the 3950X I plan to place inside it.

I plan to run Ubuntu on that also. I was in the process of mulling which monitor to get when I saw your review (although I still can’t find that Dell 43" you referenced in the video. Is it 120hz?).

In any case, I was wondering if the ROG works fine with Ubuntu (more specifically, sharp text).

if you adjust the OSD, then the text will be sharp, yes.

It’s from the early days when we didn’t have good stuff to do reviews though.

1 Like