ASUS WRX90 motherboard came in... and is DOA

I received an ASUS WRX90 motherboard, and I’ve installed the following:

TR PRO 7985WX
2 x G.SKILL Zeta R5 Neo 128GB (4 x 32GB) ECC Registered DDR5 6400 R-DIMM (PC5 51200)
2 x Samsung 990 PROs (pulled from another working TR PRO system)
1 x NVIDIA RTX 4090 FE (pulled from another working TR PRO system)

I’ve connected CPU_12V(2)_1 and CPU_12V(1)_1 plus the 24-pin, all using CableMod cables, Type 4, Corsair 1500W

Pressing the power button, the system powers on, heatsink gets warm, and the Q-Codes start rolling by as normal. After about 60 seconds, the GeForce RTX logo lights up on the GPU, and then…

Nothing. The last Q-Code displayed is 92 – PCIe Init.

What I’ve tried:

• Pulled all other PCI cards
  • Pulled and reseated all memory, and even tried with 4 channels
  • Took off heat sync, removed CPU, reseated CPU, reattached heat sync
  • Cleared CMOS
  • Flashed BIOS to the newest version (early Jan 2024)
  • Cleared CMOS again

And yes, I’ve left it here for hours seeing if it was just stuck in memory training, somehow displaying the wrong code.

It never gets past 92. Unfortunately, after having a dead WRX80 ASUS board, and 5 (yes, 5 defective ASUS monitors, various models, shipped from various vendors, all in the course of a year), I’ve come to expect this from ASUS. Against my better judgement I went with this board instead of ASRock – I’m using a Creator WRX80 in my other system and it’s been rock solid.

At this point, unless the brand new HX1500 Corsair Power Supply is somehow defective, or the CableMod cables, there’s nothing left to try. Sounds like it’s time to return the board… and go for AsRock.

Oh, and yes, the standoffs are properly aligned in the case to support the board – I checked this like 5 times before seating it in the Fractal Torrent, and there were no issues. Nothing is being potentially shorted.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Mine does that too. Here’s what I did to get it to post

Press and hold the reset button for cmos clear
Remove all the dimms but one

Reaswmble and turn on. Let sit for 10 mins. Post?

Haven’t tested ASRock yet. Asus ghosted me when I asked some basic questions so my boards the retail one.

Have another one on the way for a permanent home in the fnw rak

5 Likes

Re fuc*ing diculous … had an Intel Xeon one was picky AF with its RAM and id needed a few starts and after each start i could add another 2 Sticks… .

another one with my old threadripper, when the RAM was not klicked in the “right” way … No boot…

Asus… I dont own any Asus Boards to this Day…

2 Likes

Tried that just now, twice just to make sure. It still acts like everything is progressing, then just hangs on 92. Only one DIMM, in slot A, cleared CMOS twice. Not sure what else to try at this point. :frowning:

any rogue standoffs under the motherboard? it has nonstandard motherboard stanfoff positions.

mine does something like this whenever I change the ram but “eventually” with just the one dimm in it will come back and then I can update it.

try to replace the cmos battery. not on this board but on other boards they just won’t post if the cmos battery is low.

Checked standoffs – I reconfigured the Torrent to match the board before installing, so I think I’m good there. I will keep trying, including the CMOS battery, and post back here if I have any luck. Thanks for the help!

1 Like

Got a pic of cabling and layouts? Double checked the manual for PSU positions that go first also?

Sure thing –

CPU_12V(2)_1 and CPU_12V(1)_1 plus the 24-pin – none of the other PCIe supplemental connectors.

I’ve tried the GPU in different slots, though not after going back to a single stick of RAM.

man, what a pain. that all seems okay at first blush. Do you have the OG cables that came with the psu? maybe something wacky going on that side of things. or a different PSU with uncustom cables?

Yeah actually I do have both a spare power supply (1KW Corsair HX) and original cables. I will give that a try.

I have a 7975wx waiting for this board coming in Monday, was going to delay the build waiting for more ram kits but looks like I’ll have to figure out a faster way to get this to a testable state.

I hope your board isn’t actually bad, I’ll definitely be keeping an eye on this thread, thank you for posting this for community awareness.

@davisrichardg have you tried booting with a different graphics card yet? or checking the cleanliness of the GPU’s gold fingers?

Tried all new PSU cables (factory cables from Corsair) – same thing. :frowning: Not sure what else I can do at this point, but return the board to B&H, if they accept it, and try to get my hands on an ASRock, whenever they come out…

1 Like

The 4090 FE is nearly new, pulled from a working system. That said, no, haven’t tried another GPU.

1 Like

That really sucks. Sorry to hear that.

Last thing I could think of is bios flashback but you are best off doing that from an ancient USB stick formatted as fat32.

That’s a bit wild though

1 Like

One more throwing spaghetti idea: Do you have any plain JEDEC 4800MHz memory you could try booting with?
Its possible the AMD expo profile is too aggressive to boot.
I haven’t actually seen anyone running more than 5200MHz memory on the 8 channel Threadripper yet.

edit: Armari actually got there WRX90 memory up to 5600MHz

Good idea, but unfortunately don’t have any extra DDR5 RDIMMs laying around. My assumption that was on first boot Expo wouldn’t be enabled anyway, and the RAM would run at base clock. Also, I think Wendell is using the exact same RAM in his board.

1 Like

Sorry if I didn’t see it but what PSU do you have?

Did you plug it into another system just in case something happened in the move to a new one?

Yeah, PSU is good – it’s a new Corsair HXi 1500.