ASUS WRX90 motherboard came in... and is DOA

Just to confirm, what memory were you running on that board - the GSkill kit I was using or something else? Thanks again for the help.

hmmm I’m not sure if it auto applies EXPO or not, the manual is kind of vague on that:

I know memory QVLs on consumer boards are kind of a joke/suggestion, but I’m only seeing 6000MHz memory as the fastest speed on the ASUS WRX90, while the TRX50 has 8000MHz memory in it’s QVL. So if the motherboard is somehow applied the EXPO profile that might explain the problem.

I think Wendell only has showed TRX50 boards so far (it is entirely possible I’m behind watching stuff though)

​​​ ​ ​
​​​ ​ ​
Here’s a long shot:
Try letting the board post until it is stuck on code 92, wait a couple minutes, and then hit the reset button (not the power button) and see if it lets you enter BIOS after that.
On my ASUS W790 motherboard it invokes a safemode after I do this and it forces me into the BIOS next reboot.

Thanks, will give it a try!

1 Like

Same kit I think. Also 256g server dimms and Kingston memory as well

And yeah first boot is 4800 or slower esp with one dimm

1 Like

I don’t have access to this board yet (UK). But with the Asus WRX80 mine wouldn’t boot without supplemental pcie power. Try connecting PCIE_8P(1)_PWR, see how you go. Good luck.

3 Likes

Oh yeah good point. The manual is pretty clear about that too.

1 Like

If connecting all necessary PCIE_8P_PWR does not fix, maybe try setting up using internal VGA?

1 Like

Just following up here – tried also connecting PCIE_8P(1)_PWR, but same result. At this point, I can’t get my hands on an ASRock board, so I’ve ordered another ASUS WRX90 and a Kingston 256GB kit that’s on the QVL (KF556R36RBK8-256). Between one of these things, I’m hoping that will fix the issue. I will update this post with my results.

1 Like

Not sure if this has been brought up yet but have you tried a different pattern of ram slots

Yes indeed - tried multiple combinations.

Not super familiar with the board does it have a dedicated VGA for bios

If it does take out 4090 and see if you can get into bios
If it doesn’t take out 4099 and see if it boots enough to get into ipmi

2 Likes

and mayebe first train it on 64 gb

Could it be the cooler?, this is from noctua’s website.

“ Combining the proven basis of Noctua’s renowned TR4-SP3 and DX models with a new SecuFirm2™ mounting system for TR5/SP6 that has been updated to meet the platform’s increased pressure specifications”

The new mounting pressure requirements need that kit.

1 Like

No, shouldn’t cause this particular issue, but I’m using that cooler – the very newest one.

Think it’s just time to call it dead and get a different one

Just taking a shot in the dark again, and hopefully providing some resources for people if they run into issues like this.

Others with more experience then myself can chime in on this because I’m not sure how much difference it makes, however asus’s memory QVL for trx50 and wrx90 is different.

If you look at the memory brands supported in the drop down for each board they are different. No g-skill on the wrx90 QVL.

Again don’t know if that’s helpful at all but just putting it out there. It’s on asus support tab when you search for each boards support page.

Trx50 -

Wrx90 -

Also checked the g.skill website and wrx90 is not selectable on there support page either.

1 Like

Did you try different NVMe drives?

Might be worth connecting both supplemental pcie power connectors and setting the power supply to single rail mode (so that overcurrent protection isn’t triggered, I guess) - there’s a note in the manual about it.

2 Likes

Yep, afraid so.