Asus prime x370 MB failed

I bought the board yesterday and it worked fine. So stupid me I decided to update the bios the the latest 0604. Well that was the last time my board posted. Cleared CMOS etc nothing. I guess it is RMA time.

1 Like

it's not your fault the bios update failed unless you turned it off while it was updating. bios's get corrupted, it happens to everyone eventually.
you should have easy bios flash back
https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1012219

1 Like

I was updating the bios with the UEFI tools and it no longer post at all.

Sorry man, at least the new bios didn't come out after the RMA period

Is the bios chip socketed? Can you get a replacement chip and just drop it in instead of sending off the entire board.

Ive given the board back to the supplier. I normally go by if it aint broken dont fix it but I did the bios update with that in the back of my mind, I guess it is better to have the problem while it is new than down the road.

I just dropped back my old MB into my machine till I get it back.

Interesting Joker bricked a board as well with an overclock

I was running my 1700 at 3.875G with normal voltages and it had been fine for hours of gaming and playing 4K videos with CPU decoding. There may be something in certain overclock and the bios. Jokers was using a gigabyte board. I was on a ASUS board with 0504 from memory BIOS.

To be honest, I never paid much attention to the releases of new platforms. I vaguely remember that X99 had some issues right after launch. But Ryzen seems to take the cake.

Was your system running stable before you attempted to update the BIOS?
Asking cause I want to get the same CPU/mobo combo myself but now I'm hesitant.

It seemed awesome and I had a little voice in my head saying why update the bios its working on windows and linux fine. Then I did it.

1 Like

Wendell mentioned that one should not skip updating the UEFI, especially on Ryzen. Even if it works fine.

Timestamped:

I get that it's a new platform and still has some problems. But the updates can introduce new problems as well.

Note to self: read up on people's feedback about UEFI updates.

Since updating the firmware on a motherboard is such a delicate task, I always load default values before flashing. It's not worth it to take chances. It would be a good idea to have a warning about this in the flashing menu.

1 Like

You could try to reflash the bios with bios flashback.
It sucks kinda, that most Ryzen boards dontr have dual bios.

1 Like

As an early adopter of both X99 and AM4 I can say with certainty that the problems X99 had were substantially worse out of the gate than AM4/Ryzen has suffered. Intel screwed up everything about the X99 launch and it led to a quiet relaunch around December of 2014 with almost every board vendor releasing revised boards and new products to replace the screwy first revisions.

@Marten ASUS has been very quick to solve problems with their platform. The Crosshair VI suffers BIOS/UEFI issues too and they've gone as far as full free replacement of defective boards with overnight shipping.

1 Like

Well I ran my new board for a week or so at stock 3000Mhz. Decided to try flash the bios again with a fat32 usb stick. From stock 0504 to 0604 bios through bios EZ-flash3 and it says done reset press ok and bricked.

Clear CMOS. Tried a few USB sticks in several USB ports. Renamed the bios file to X370PRO.CAP.

Im going to get drunk.

Maybe next time trying to flash it from within Windows?
I personally just use the Asus suite software to update the bios.
But if you get your board back running again, it might be better just to wait a while,
before you do a new bios flash.
Because this is kinda garbage....

At this point I'm all but done with ryzen, Seriously. I have to take this second board back and now they say they will flash it for me....well good luck :frowning:

Yeah i can understand that, Ryzen still has a long way to go.
Why board manufacturers dont include dual bios on their X370 boards is really beyond me.

Biostar on the X370 GT7 is the only board that has it if i´m right.

I'm sorry your going through this.
Everyone, including me, loves to posts when things go great. I really appreciate when someone posts when things turn to crap. It does really help people trying to make buying choices.

1 Like

The store has the 2nd bricked board now. The support staff are good for what they can do.

Im not pulling my machine apart again so I will most likely get a new case and PSU when the MB is fix / replaced. Id rather have one working computer. I thought the ryzen upgrade would have been smoother.

There going to do the bios update on there end but hay the AMD 1006 update comes out in the next 3-4 weeks so....Could I even dare.

I have that board, updated it multiple times and didn't have any problems. Running my 1700 at 3.8GHz with stock voltages. There is a newer UEFI version out now. I don't think it has all the new agesa stuff but I might be wrong. Gonna upgrade in a few minutes so if I don't post anything from now on, you know what happened.

All I can think of is it is the PSU. I will get a new one and a case. It driving me nuts. Im on the old system atm.

First board I overclocked to 3.875Mhx stock voltages and gamed etc fin for a few hours....Second board I ran a week at stock stock speeds with gaming etc.

I want to try out IOMMU with an old nvida card and an RX 480 but all I do is brick the MB if I flash the UEFI :frowning: