Asus prime x370 MB failed

New UEFI, everything went fine again. Dialed in my OC and memory settings. Back to normal.

For anyone following this it has as I predictably turned into a little nightmare.

2nd RMA was rejected because thermal paste got into the CPU socket. I made the mistake of openly talking to the store and asking if I could sent the CPU, MB, Memory to them to see if they have the issue of BIOS update problems bricking the board. They were fine and I took the parts in an gave it to them.

Two days later I got this rejected thermal paste in the CPU socket. So I asked for pictures and looked at them.

Now the truth from my side. The first time I ran the build for about 4-5 hours under windows and linux then thought do the BIOS upgrade and then work on new linux / windows installs. As above the BIOS update bricked the board. So I pulled it apart and put the CPU back in is little plastic case and the wraith cooler the same.

When I got the replacement M/B via post I saw the CPU and Cooler had a still very thin tacky covering of thermal paste. I did not have any thermal paste myself. So I stuck them back together and did the check temps and benchmarks. All was fine. Running cool the 1700 does not have the +20 C problem.

All was well CPU ran cool and I was afraid to do the BIOS update again under the same conditions so over a week went by.

I finally decided to try again and did the extra resest the CMOS. Load optimal BIOS defaults . Make 2 USB fat drives with the latest at the time BIOS 0604. Note I think 0504 was on the board both times.

And I bricked it again and back to second RMA was rejected. So I kind of stumped the store when I said I did not use aftermarket thermal paste which is according to the RMA department is conductive and the sales department dont sell conductive thermal paste.

So I started a email and pictures record and currently are at the point they cleaned the thermal paste I didnt use from the board and submitted it to their repair provider.

Ryzen has been the most painful pain in my arse in 30 years of PC building.

I'm glad I only build a new machine ever 5-6 years.

You can see the timeline from posts....Im still waiting.

Hi, sorry to bump an old thread, but I just installed the bios version 805 on my PRIME X370 and it did not boot at any frequency. Then I changed the latency from 17-17-17-39 to 16-16-16-36 and RAM frequency to 3200MHz and I booted. It is late here and this post is the first thing I am writing after boot (shows how much I love this forum). Will test the stability, but it seems fine for now.

Edit: Just chceked with CPU-Z and DRAM freequency is 1600 MHz, so I have to multiply that by 2 so I really do seem to have the advertised 3200 MHz of HyperX Vengeance memory :joy:

1 Like

Nice, gonna try that later. How much memory are you running and how many sticks?
I skipped on the beta version and hadn't checked recently.

I too skipped the beta. I am running 2 HyperX Vengeance 8GB sticks. Will leave it mining during the night but so far so good.

Haven't run any test so far and I have no clue what sub timings it should be running but ...
A few things done by hand and it works. Like you said, so far so good. :slight_smile:

G.SKILL RIPJAWS V 32GB (4x8) 3200MHz
F4-3200C16Q-32GVK
CL 16-16-16-36 at 1.35V

[EDIT]

Nope, had to dial it back to 2666MHz for the moment. It wasn't stable.
I still think at some point the memory will run fine, even at 3200. It might just be subtiming stuff that I simply don't understand. But that is fine, it is getting there.

That must be because you are using 4 sticks. My two have been mining for 8 hours by now.

Asus just released a non-beta BIOS for the Prime X370 Pro motherboard, sporting the AGESA v 1.0.0.6a. The "a" on the end is likely not indicative of any significant change, but at least the whole thing is in a non-beta package now. That said I'm sticking to the beta for now as it's only a few weeks old and I'm in the middle of testing other stuff not related to the memory.

Try raising the SOC voltage to 1.10 V if you haven't already. It's worth a try and perfectly safe, only leading to a few more watts power draw. Nudging the DRAM voltage up from 1.35V to 1.40V would also be safe, but the SOC voltage has a better chance of helping out.

The 805 we were talking about is exactly that BIOS with AGESA 1.0.0.6a.

Might try that in a few weeks or months but first I'll try to find accurate sub timings for my memory.

So today I restarted my machine for the first time since my last post and it did not boot. I had to chache CAS to 16-18-18-18-38. Then it booted, but crashed after 20 minutes. Then I read that I should also chage DRAM voltage. Default was at 1.2V and I set it to 1.35V Holding for now. I had a non-BSOD restart , but only after fiddling in the fan-expert4 software. It always does that when I want to set the fans to max.

I havent seen my MB / CPU or RAM for over a month....Im running and I3 and 16G of ram and trying to forget about all the money I spent on ryzen.

2 months later and still no MB

At this point as a family and friends IT go to guy. ASUS is on my shit list and if my MB and CPIU and RAM ever come back to me I dont give A shit ......ryzen pooped in my face and im over it.

Bought the asus board in march and its july now still no board

101 how to piss a guy off for life... Complete.

That sucks. I had something similar with X99... it worked in the end but I sold it because I just hated it at that point. Who has your stuff now? Asus or the shop where you bought it? Are you in constant contact with them? because if not .. you should be.

Thanks @noenken Im over mad If it works out it does. I was on my current machine for years and if it is a year more no problem. ASUS is dead to me... MSI is my next go too.

This makes me really question if I should buy the Prime X370. It only appealed to me because it's the cheapest X370 mobo with 8 SATA ports. But reading that ASRock is having hiccups with Agesa now.... are there really any motherboards for Ryzen that work out of the box? I want to upgrade but with Ryzen still not a "buy and use it" option....I don't want to buy Intel.

Mine shit itself both times two board when I tried. I can only blame the PSU which was an old 1100-1200 watt PSU. I catn think of anything else to blame so I bought a new PSU which is sitting in a corner as we speak. If I ever get my board back and the CPU and Memory. The shop agreed to do the bios update before returning my board and I stupidly gave them my CPU and memory. They have it all and its coming on 2 months.

I trust too much.

Who has the board now? And what do you mean "if you ever get it back"?

Well the shop has my CPU and memory and the board is at the shops repair centre even though it was less than 2 weeks from me getting it as new. 2 months later so far.

So....they've been doing nothing until now or why is it taking them so long?

It sounds to me that you are blaming Ryzen for what that shop is doing to you.
Kick their asses!