ASUS introduces its own IPMI card

the asus ipmi expansion card

around Ā£140 in the UK. For me at the moment itā€™s a total waste of money without a ā€˜specialā€™ BIOS and all the cabling I should have received but didnt.

1 Like

You just made me realize I missed something in my testing. I never changed the BMC jumper to disabled from itā€™s default enabled position when testing.

The BMC headerā€™s functionality is/was inconsequential to me, I just wanted the other things the IPMI access would give me so I never bothered plugging it in (actually the motherboard I was using didnā€™t even have a BMC header so I had no choice).
Itā€™s possible the card would have trouble with no BMC header plugged in and the jumper set to enabled; Iā€™ll need to re-test.

2 Likes

Let me know the outcome of that please. Iā€™m still waiting for asus tech support to give me the special BIOS. Really want to test the AIC properly.

I returned my Z690-F and swapped it for the ProArt Z690 which is on the compatibility list and same issue. Connect power lead, mobo turns on automatically but then turns off after 2 seconds. Cant turn it back on with the chassis power button. I have asked Asus if this mobo needs a special bios too.

To be honest Iā€™m getting fed up with trying to get this to work. Asus have been no help so far on the Z690-F so Iā€™m very close to giving up on all of this.

UPDATE

Bought a second IPMI card so now I have the full cable set.

Connected it to my Z690 ProArt board, BMC, SPI/TPM, USB, PCIe power and power switch. Board powers up, loads in to Windows 11 and device manager shows ā€˜code 28ā€™ no driver loaded for IPMI interface. Other than the ASPEED and NIC driver, there is no other drivers for this card. So, I tried in Linux - sensors-detect - no IPMI interface found.

These cards are an absolute joke. So unless I still need a special BIOS for it, Iā€™m completely stumped and probably will be retruning both cards.

Asus 1st line support are a complete waste of time also, continuously telling me to check the manual and drivers. Not happy.

How about the TPM/SPI cable/adaptor that comes with the IPMI card? Maybe this needs to be connected to for the card to work and allow the motherboard to POST properly? I am not entirely sure that a special BIOS is needed for any of the Moboā€™s on the compatibility list. Still waiting for Asus to confirm.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.