Assange Arrested

From what I read, the UK is only willing to extradite if the US takes capital punishment off the table. The maximum punishment for what they’re actually charging him with is 5 years, so that should not have been an issue, unless the DOJ plans to bring more charges later on.

I’m fairly confident that this will go one of two ways:

We’ll get Trump pardoning him (the better option) or we’ll get a kangaroo court that throws him in jail for the rest of his life.

Sure, we won’t kill him. Just send him over here. We pinky promise.

1 Like

A pardon would be politically hazardous for Trump and it would be seen as further evidence of obstruction of justice. The DOJ is getting Assange on that silly charge because they want to ask him questions.

Doesn’t mean he won’t do it obviously, the man is a wildcard.

I’m not aware of any UK - US extradition that’s lead to the death penalty in recent years. Has there been any?

everything Trump does is hazardous

It can be handwaved by using Obamas pardon of Manning.

Yeah, I’m confident of this.

No, I’m just saying, if they really want someone dead, they’ll make that person dead.

1 Like

Like the Russians do.

Every country with an effective fighting force, really.

Germany, France (insert surrender meme) and the UK can do this too.

1 Like

People with agendas to deliberately obfuscate the issues at hand would certainly do that, yes, and their low-information audience would accept it.

90% of the country is low-information audience.

I’m not saying it’s the best option, but it’s the better of the two I outlined.

Best option is he’s exonerated.

1 Like

Almost certainly well over 90%, when it comes to politics. And like I said earlier, this is a very complex time with tons of moving parts and lots of people intentionally clouding the waters. That’s why we had people in this very thread questioning whether Russia hacked the DCCC and leaked to Wikileaks when the indictment has been public for a year. Not because they were russian spies, but because they actually just didn’t know, they weren’t aware of the truth.

The best option for both Assange and everybody else (except Moscow) is for him to cooperate with the DOJ and be released. The DOJ has him dead to rights on conspiracy to hack US goverment servers, so he won’t be exonerated short of some sort of mistrial, and would probably end up doing 18 months.

Yes, referencing the recent publicly known assassination in the UK by Russian forces.

1 Like

Yeah, first I’d heard of it, mostly because I don’t give a fuck, it’s ancient history for anyone except the Clintons.

Or at least, it was.

1 Like

Right, you aren’t low-information because you’re a stupid person, you just don’t particularly care. That’s fine, that isn’t poisonous. The problem comes when someone is low-information yet convinced of a false narrative through social media or whatever. That describes a hell of a lot of people right now, which is scary.

boy, does it ever.

Or just through media, but yeah. That pisses me off.

1 Like

Conspiracy theories and other fictions are amplified through more mainstream media but they’re typically created on social media, Reddit, 8chan, etc.

Ehh, The whole Russian Collusion meme was pushed 24/7 by CNN and MSNBC. At what point are they the custodians of said conspiracy theory? I honestly forget who started that one.

2 Likes

That is not a conspiracy theory. It is founded upon evidence. For example, emails Don Jr. himself released about meeting with representatives of the Russian “crown proscecutor” to get dirt on Clinton.

:joy: :joy: :joy:

You’re overdosing on blue pills bud.

You think Barr is lying? Wait for the full report.

I just got a flag that it’s off-topic. I’m going to ignore the flag since it’s a conversation I’m involved with, but it’s not wrong, we are getting a bit in the weeds here. I’d rather not moderate a discussion I’m involved in, ya know, impartiality in moderation and all.

1 Like