Asrock X570d4u, x570d4u-2L2T discussion thread

Which sensor cable did you use for the tr1 header? I have a 2 pin sensor cable but not sure which way to connect it.

Hi all,

I bought the X570d4u-2l2t/bcm and today I had a very weird issue.
Suddenly the Broadcom chip started reporting 105 degrees Celsius and it shutdown. Why that happened I have no idea. Usual temps are upto 70 degrees Celsius.

I was at work during that time and I rebooted the server through the IPMI, I even shut down the server and every time the server was coming online Broadcom chip was still reporting 105degrees and would not start.

I had to leave work and go home to investigate, indeed the chipā€™s heatsink was hot.
What I realised is that even the server was shutdown all the ethernet ports were still active (lights were blinking on the ethernet ports). When I turned off the PSU on the back of the server and then turned it back on then the Broadcom chip finally came back to life.

The question is how I tell to this motherboard that when I reset or power off to stop providing power to the Broadcom and Intel ethernet ports (except IPMI ports ofcourse)? In BIOS ā€œACPI Configurationā€ ā€œPCI Devices Power Onā€ is disabled.

Thanks.

There is no polarity. The sensor is just a 10K thermistor.
Doesnā€™t matter which way the plug goes. Itā€™s just a resistance connnection.

1 Like

Hello all! Just updated my x570d4u to BIOS 1.50 and BMC 01.39.00
It was a step backwards for me, the remote BIOS interface (redfish) stopped working, while it was ok in the development version they had shared with me previously.

Anyone had any success in getting that to work with this combination of bios/bmc? I am this close to throw away this poorly supported expensive board and replace it with a run of the mill consumer grade one and PiKVMā€¦

1 Like

Some reading for me to do here.

So far I am really hating this motherboard. I havenā€™t managed to get it stable for my Unraid system at all and I have NEVER been able to use the built in IPMI bios tool. The remote access barely ever functions properly.

Iā€™m now just trying to get the damn thing to boot Memtest86 and it will not boot from a UEFI USB key at all.

CPU is a R5 4650
RAM is 2x M391A4G43AB1-CWE-IN (32GB ECC Unbuffered).

Anyone have any tips on just getting the usual memtest boot disk to actually boot?

edit - urghā€¦ now I think I have bricked the IPMI completelyā€¦ It just gets stuck on ā€œfirmware update in progress hence navigation has been blockedā€

Looks like ASRock added the B650 chipset to the lineup like they had done with B550. No mention of the x670 variant yet, but can likely expect it soon based on their product lineup.

https://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=B650D4U-2L2T/BCM#Specifications

Did my best to search through this thread for an answer. Apologies if this has been asked before.

On the 2L2T version, is it possible to passthrough the two 10gbe ports to two different VMs in Proxmox?

Thank you

Does anyone know which ram slots correspond to which rows and channels? Iā€™m really not wanting to restart repeatedly with just one stick in at a time (as its a pain to get out of the rack as well):

sudo ras-mc-ctl --error-count
Label               	CE	UE
mc#0csrow#2channel#0	0	0
mc#0csrow#0channel#1	0	0
mc#0csrow#3channel#1	0	0
mc#0csrow#1channel#1	0	0
mc#0csrow#1channel#0	0	0
mc#0csrow#0channel#0	0	0
mc#0csrow#3channel#0	0	0
mc#0csrow#2channel#1	0	0

Depends on how the motherboard maker defined the slot positions and whether they map 1:1 to the cpu memory controller.

First post here, this thread is most informative!
I recently pulled the trigger on the X570D4U-2L2T/BMC version. It came with v1.70 of the BIOS and the new Redfish IPMI.
I have it running VMware ESXi 7.0.3 with 64GB of RAM with a PCIe 4.0 NVMe drive. This thing flies!

However, I do have a self-inflicted issue: I tried installing my own SSL certficate for the IPMI port. It requested it in PEM format which I duly provided, but since then, the web interface no longer comes up. I can still access the Smashlite Scorpio Console over SSH but donā€™t know if thereā€™s anything I can do with that to fix.

Unfortunately, I donā€™t have any physical access to the server for a couple of weeks. The system is booted and I can access my VMs so not the end of the world, but my concern is that the use of SSL certificates seems pretty flaky. If it doesnā€™t like it, it should refuse to try to use them instead of ā€œcrashingā€ the web interface making it inaccessibleā€¦

Yes, the board was expensive especially with the 10G option, but it is nice. Just wish the Redfish IPMI side was more stable / checked for anything it doesnā€™t like before shooting itself in the foot!

Iā€™ve been killing myself trying to boot up:
X570D4U-2L2T/BCM
Ryzen 9 3900
2x ECC DR Kingston Server Premier - DDR4 32 GB - 3200 MHz / PC4-2

Just keeps posting EE error. It works with non ECC modulesā€¦

Any suggestions (from anyone) on what am I missing would be highly appreciated?

Is that RAM on the QVL? See: https://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=X570D4U-2L2T#Memory

These boards sometimes very picky about RAM.

Is it worth spending 200ā‚¬ more for the X570 compared to the X470?

X570 has more PCIe lanes available and I think the slot layout and available M.2 is different because of this. Supported memory and CPU SKUs will be different too, so check this out first. Otherwise a board is a board. It has slots and ports and if thatā€™s all you need, itā€™s your board.
I chose the x570D4U-2L2T because of the additional PCIe lanes and the on-board Intel 10Gbit NICs (saves a slot for a NIC). Wendell has covered the x470 in some video and I remember him stating it as a good budget option.

We need exact SKU number. Because Kingston Server Premier has both Micron and SK/Hynix variants for DDR4 ECC UDIMM. Iā€™m using the (older) Micron variant that ends with /ME (Micron E-die), which is listed in QVL and Iā€™m running 4x32GB @2666MT/s for over a year now, rock-solid stable.
I think the Hynix variant end with /HD (Hynix D-die), but Iā€™m not sure as I havenā€™t checked DDR4 market in a year.

And yes, the board is rather quirky when it comes to memory. Half of this (huge) thread is about memory.
I didnā€™t get the board to run with 3200MT/s without ECC errors, while others have no problems. Same memory. Iā€™m fine with 2666 as long as I can run 128GB. Running 4xDR memory is always a gamble with Ryzen, not just with this board. 2x32GB should be fine though, assuming the board actually likes the modules.

Just to follow up on my issue with the failed certificate install on the IPMI BMC port.

When this happens, itā€™s a real pain as you lose all web access. And considering just about everything is now designed to go through the GUI, if you lose it, youā€™re really stuck!

I tried several things and was in contact with Asrock support. We tried resetting over the SSH connection and over the Serial over LAN using very low level tools, but it didnā€™t fix anything. I noticed it reset the login username to admin, etc, but that was about it. The http still wasnā€™t functioning.

In the end, I had to reflash then entire BMC chip using the socflash utilities. It takes a while - can be worrying when itā€™s still going after a few minutes with no sign of endingā€¦ I guess writing 64MB takes time at such a low level!

Anyway, after the full reflash and power cycle, the web interface is back with the default self-signed certificate.

Iā€™ll have another go whilst Iā€™m by the server because if it goes wrong, you need physical access to boot from USB and flashā€¦

Iā€™ll report back with my findings and if I manage to install a proper certificate.

Has anyone gotten the OC Tweak menu to work? I need to set a memory underclock (reduce timings at 2666MT/s); however, everytime that I try to use the menu, (a) the BCM web GUI indicates that VCCM is 1.75v, and (b) my server will not POST. Any ideas?

For 2666MT/s you set it to 1333. The actual clock speed. If you select 2666, you tell the server to run DDR4-5333, which may explain the VCCM and troublesome POST.

I did change some timings manually in the past and didnā€™t see any problems. But Iā€™m not overclocking stuff, so YMMV.

Unfortunately it appears to be a bugged BIOS for the current version - no matter how you set the ram it fails - if using the OC tweak menu it fails to post with 1.75V, if doing it manually it doesnā€™t save the changes whatsoever. Iā€™m just accepting itā€™s staying at stock clock speeds for now unfortunatelyā€¦

I downgraded the bios but kept the BMC version, works great for me!

Iā€™m still running with default BIOS.

BMC Firmware Version 1.20.00
BIOS Firmware Version P1.40
PSP Firmware Version 0.14.0.2A

Iā€™m not the BIOS flasher type and BMC on top of that is kinda unchartered territory. I donā€™t want to brick the stuff. Anything interesting that might convince me to update the stuff? (stuff breaking isnā€™t an upgrade)