Asrock X570d4u, x570d4u-2L2T discussion thread

You should really consider another MOBO, this one “supports” 5950x but is specced lower than 5950x requires (VRM-wise). I tried this combo and you either will have to seriously underclock the CPU, or accept spontaneous hangs and freezes because of inadequate VRM and its thermals

Thank you guys. Not what I wanted to hear but very informative!

Unfortunately I am now quite vested in this motherboard, having bought the right type of RAM from the certified list etc - and I don’t think I will be able to return all the parts.

I pulled out the battery this morning so will have a new attempt later this a/noon. If that doesn’t solve my problems I will insist with the reseller that they replace the board for me.

As for cooling, I’m using a well vented uATX case with a couple extra fans so crossing fingers that will suffice…

Nu-uh, it won’t ))

No amount of cooling will help (I used 4×1.8 ampere deltas in a real server case, blows your face away if you stare too close), this board just has bad design.

You ordered in Germany, so I’m assuming you also live in Germany. You have a 14-day return policy by law for anything you buy online (few exceptions apply, this is not one of them) with no reason given whatsoever. Even if they don’t replace it, they will have to take it back.

1 Like

Have you tried a cardboard air-shroud to funnel air through the heatsink?

Unfortunately… unplugged from the wall and left the CMOS battery out all day, then shorted the CMOS reset pad according to manual, put everything back together and… still login failed. So it must be storing authentication credentials in non-volatile memory. Or BMC is just broken.

I don’t have a previous-gen Ryzen to swap in, to try to boot and use ipmicfg to reset BMC. I guess I’ll just have to push the vendor to RMA the motherboard.

1 Like

I live in Sweden, but had to scout around to find this motherboard. Nonetheless the same rules should apply, just a bit more faff with delivery etc (and takes ages). I guess I have to decide promptly if I should give up on the whole project and go through the pains of returning all the parts (including memory, cpu cooler, etc), or stick with it and get the motherboard sorted out, in worst case under warranty.

Edit: looks like Swedish rules won’t let me return the ram sticks as I’ve opened them. So decision made for me… will persist to try to make this work.

1 Like

MOSFETs used in this board have too high Rds(on) and too low maximum current to sustain a 5950x at full load. Even 5900x can not be used to its full potential.

1. This is very definitely not a normal desktop board. As such, overclocking and/or voltage controll is “nice to have” at best.

2. VRM temps in the low 80°C is fine!

When you say full potential do you mean at stock settings, or tweaked and tuned? I won’t be looking to overclock.

I say stick with it dude.

Honestly it seems like there’s a lot of buyers remorse on this thread from some others expecting 100% perfect system and not happy about having to make tiny compromises, or putting in the work to get it perfect.

Also a lot of, quite frankly, horrifying ideas about wanting to overclock multi-hundred / thousand dollar production servers.

Hopefully you can get working and stable at stock speeds like me, and report back here with your findings either way. I’ll do the same if my system becomes unstable.

Wow, interesting. Just out of interest is this with PBO enabled or not? As board allows running 105w CPU’s stable with PBO enabled surely it should at least be stable without…

It is only 105W “TDP”, the processor actually draws more at stock settings (reset everything to default in BIOS).

In the end I put slightly underclocked 5900x-s on these boards and OK with it. 5800x would be safe bet, but I need more cache on these machines. 5950x showed unstable on 4 out of 10 boards.

And now for something completely different: pushing the limits.

With some soldering you could actually use gaming RAM on this board. The board is hard-wired for 1.2V DRAM voltage, and despite having a setting in BIOS it will not change this.

At first, I suspected unchanging voltage to be a bug in monitoring software. But to be completely sure, I measured the voltage on actual socket, it stayed put.

After a closer look, we could find that it is produced by ISL8121, a cheap-ass PWM controller. After reading the datasheet it became clear, that it has 0.6V internal reference and output voltage is controlled by a simple resistor divider. Vout = 0.6V * (Rs + Rp) / Rp. And for Vout == 1.2V we have Rs == Rp.

Now we only have to find and measure the resistors:

Seems to be a 1k resistor, as recommended in the datasheet. Now replace it with something calculated for your RAM specs (I used 1.3k to get ~1.4V). Measure, success!

2 Likes

And all the settings on one screen:

Note: all timings are in HEX, unlike on the normal boards

4 Likes

Can you describe the stability issues you had with 5950X? We have about 30 servers in production with 5950X/X570D4U and haven’t had any issues.

1 Like

For general hosting usage they are OK. But we run number crunching workloads on them (comparable to prime95 in “Blend” preset). Some machines randomly freeze after 2-3 days of continuous load.

We also rented similar machines at one hosting provider with similar outcome, were asked to decrease load or leave…

Hello everyone
I am thinking of mounting a air cooler on this board can anyone confirm that this board can be used with Noctua U-12S in a push pull config or any air cooler of that size with a push pull config.

Is there any issue of RAM clearance ?
I have heard the previous iteration of the board had issues with ram clearance.

I have the 2L2T board with a 3700X CPU and I am using the Noctua NH-D9L with two fans. This cooler gives me the clearance for the 3U case it is in. I also got the NM-AM4 mounting kit for the long bars so the cooler can be rotated 90 degrees to point to the rear of the case. No clearance issues at all.
After tweaking the fan profile a bit I have great cooling performance. This has been working well for me so far.

Thanks a lot for replying really appreciate the first hand information, so you think there should be no problem with NH-u12s as well? assuming the fans have the same width.

also how many sticks of ram are you using? , would it be a problem if all 4 ram slots are populated?

as for case i would be building in a full tower case so top clearance is not a issue.