Asrock X570d4u, x570d4u-2L2T discussion thread

I also wanted less featured chips like the B550/5700G combo.
ASRock rep informed me these won’t be available until years end, which means 2022 Q1.

But what a great 1U design for low heat and max RAM.

1 Like

Thats what I was thinking, be great in a fractal 304 with 6 drives or 4 plus hot spare and a gpu… for a more rounded system. Thought it was a interesting find and here might be a good place to share for people interested in this type of board.

You don’t need the 16e. You really only need a single port external card, or the very common 8e. I just had one lying around but I only use one port of the 4 for 12 drives.

1 Like

Can the Light blue port in between the red/white SATA Connectors be attached to my 1U Supermicro ports on the front of the chassis?

I’m not able to use add on cards and having only 2 ports on backside might not be enough.

Just trying to avoid Hubs and only need a few USB ports.

Thanks.
Monday they will be available @ NewEgg so I’m trying to get everything I need ready for the builder.

Cheerz

Short answer is yes. That light blue header is USB 3.2 gen1. My 3U case has 2 USB 2 front panel ports. I was able to find a cable to adapt. USB is backwards compatible if you can get the right cable. No idea what v/gen your super micro ports are.

They’re gen 3 and for small 12” USB 3 powered monitors.
Back ports for wireless QWERTY/Mouse.
A man of few needs.

Thanks for your help.
I’ve already got the Supermicro front ports attached on my current H97m WS. Hopefully the same connection/cable will work, if not the builder can figure things out.

Good to go…

I just got one of these, and in Windows, it claims there’s zero support for suspend (s3 or low-power idle). That can’t be right, can it? When I tried to suspend in Linux, the GPU fan went to full speed, and the machine became unresponsive, but never dropped into any obvious sleep mode.

Also, how do you connect to its serial-over-LAN? The Java viewer doesn’t seem to have it, and the start /system1/sol1 command I use via ssh on Supermicro doesn’t work either.

EDIT: Also, the BMC video seems limited to 1024x768 via emulated EDID. The Supermicro board allowed passing through an actual monitor.

EDIT2: The BMC seems to create a virtual USB CDC (seen as a serial port in Windows and an ethernet connection in Linux), but apparently nothing actualy listens on it, so it just ends up with “network connection failed” over and over. I have the BMC sending its syslog to the machine, and I see this spammed out:

Aug  7 21:43:51 asrock-ipmi kernel: [67398.470000]  [KERNDEBUG] [/home/huang/workspace/MDS122_workspace/X570D4U-2L2T-RR12_workspace/Build/.build/eth-6.8.0.0.0-src/data/ether.c:448]EthReqHandler(): Unimplemented CDC request : 67
Aug  7 21:43:51 asrock-ipmi kernel: [67398.510000]  [KERNDEBUG] [/home/huang/workspace/MDS122_workspace/X570D4U-2L2T-RR12_workspace/Build/.build/eth-6.8.0.0.0-src/data/ether.c:448]EthReqHandler(): Unimplemented CDC request : 67
Aug  7 21:43:51 asrock-ipmi kernel: [67398.510000]  [KERNDEBUG] [/home/huang/workspace/MDS122_workspace/X570D4U-2L2T-RR12_workspace/Build/.build/eth-6.8.0.0.0-src/data/ether.c:448]EthReqHandler(): Unimplemented CDC request : 67
Aug  7 21:43:51 asrock-ipmi kernel: [67398.520000]  [KERNDEBUG] [/home/huang/workspace/MDS122_workspace/X570D4U-2L2T-RR12_workspace/Build/.build/eth-6.8.0.0.0-src/data/ether.c:448]EthReqHandler(): Unimplemented CDC request : 67
Aug  7 21:43:51 asrock-ipmi kernel: [67398.520000]  [KERNDEBUG] [/home/huang/workspace/MDS122_workspace/X570D4U-2L2T-RR12_workspace/Build/.build/eth-6.8.0.0.0-src/data/ether.c:448]EthReqHandler(): Unimplemented CDC request : 67
Aug  7 21:43:53 asrock-ipmi kernel: [67400.260000]  [KERNDEBUG] [/home/huang/workspace/MDS122_workspace/X570D4U-2L2T-RR12_workspace/Build/.build/eth-6.8.0.0.0-src/data/ether.c:448]EthReqHandler(): Unimplemented CDC request : 67

EDIT3: Also, the BIOS doesn’t have proper serial console redirection, either.

EDIT4: Another thing that doesn’t work reliably: the USB drive emulation. The CD emulation kinda works (some ISOs don’t boot on it), but the HDD emulation doesn’t reliably make an actual block device show up.

I’m using a slightly modified FD cage (Node 804 Festplattenkäfig - Weiß, 6,99 €) in the motherboard chamber of my Node 804.
It gives me 2-3 extra HDD slots.

Ah OK, yeah I saw those a while ago but it felt a bit underwhelming :sweat_smile:
I was thinking about printing these:

Only thing I’m missing is a 3D printer :rofl:
But that’s way down the road anyway :slight_smile:

Not a beauty at all, but it serves its purpose:

I had to shorten the cage from 4 to 3 slots in depth.

2 Likes

if it works, it works :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

it looks like yesterday (8/12/21), a new BIOS and BMC version was uploaded for the D4U. I plan on downloading them later today. Anyone already made the jump?

https://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=X570D4U#Download

No but let us know how you get on :wink:

So far so good. You have to use socflash for this BMC update, though - as per their warnings. I updated both the BMC and BIOS shortly after my original post. Truthfully, I haven’t spent a lot of time in the BMC or BIOS since, but I haven’t encountered any instability on the machine. Is there anything in particular anyone wants tested?

Both updates running fine on my x570d4u-2l2t.

i tried to update BMC but it give me can not open ima file can somebody help please

1 Like

Same error
Via socflash error bmc proteced i think it means Protected any ideal?

Did you run in any issues during the install process? Via socflash

I did not. Flashed the bios first. made sure bios was set to default as instructed and then used Rufus to make a free dos bootable, copied socflash and ima file to it as instructed, booted to that and ran the socflash updater with no issues. Be sure to set bios to default settings as shown in step 2. No idea if that could be an issue.

1 Like

I also followed the same process. Rufus to make a bootable freedos USB + copying the IMA to it. Someone else has detailed instructions higher in the thread for flashing a lab bios and this is the same process. The only thing that made it annoying for me was digging up a spare monitor and keyboard to watch the process. You could risk it and do it headless, but I didn’t want to do that.

1 Like