Asrock X570d4u, x570d4u-2L2T discussion thread

PBO is not the same as Turbo Boost. PBO raises the power limit when enabled and the default setting “auto” is defined by AMD as disabled. So unless it is specifically enabled, it does nothing.
Turbo Boost (or Turbo Core rather since it’s AMD) is different in that it only overclocks the CPU within the default power limit.

So depending what you actually want to do, you are looking at the wrong thing. I’m not sure if Turbo Core can actually be disabled.

Good to know. Does anyone know if it is possible to disable that? I know it was possible on the B550 Steel Legend I had before.

I honestly also don’t know why you would. It doesn’t affect warranty since it is a stock feature, it raises performance in a lot of applications (especially single thread), and it doesn’t affect power draw… so I’m curious why you would want to?

On a lot of the more mainstream boards I think this is just part of the P-State configuration.

I’m operating in a 2U case and this made a hell of a difference when disabling it in my previous setup. I do not need the CPU to auto overclock beyond the base clock. This reduced the temperature from 60C to 35C. Significant change.

For those interested, I did find more information here

"Test 6 is with modified “Precicion Boost Overdrive”-option disabled in the UEFI menu. I think this must be a part of “Precicion Boost 2” technology. The 4750G is specified with 3600Mhz base clock and 4400Mhz boost clock for all cores. If i am right, this option is to automatically overclock cores which are good enough to clock higher than the overall boost clock of 4,4Ghz, because disabling this option just reduced the electrical power consumption by 4Watts.

In Test 7, i disabled “Core Performance Boost” (CPB) option. With this option, its possible to disable any kind of boost clock, so the CPU is running nailed down with 3,6Ghz over all cores. This option reduced the electrical power consumption a alot from 140Watt to 82Watt or in other words from 92°C down to 59°C under full load."

1 Like

So judging by that quote you should be looking for Core Performance Boost then since that is the setting you seem to want.

On a sidenote: PBO and Precision Boost 2 are not the same thing either. Precision Boost (2) is essentially what Turbo Core was in the older gens, just more precise and more responsive to load and temperature then Turbo Core was.

I may have found a word around… If I set Precision Boost Overdrive to ADVANCED, I get a setting, “Max CPU Boost Clock override”. It is set to 0 Mhz. So. I am guessing this will keep the CPU to its base clock of 3.8 Ghz, which is what I would want.

Update : That didn’t do anything.
But I did find Core Performance Boost under Advanced->AMD CBS->CPU Common Options. Trying that now.

Update2 : Disable Core Performance Boost did exactly what I needed it too. It does not go beyond 3.8Ghz

In terms of temperatures, it helped a lot :

“The gap was because of the shutdown” :stuck_out_tongue:

Can you confirm that beta BCM firmware resolve NIC speed issue? I know that problem is not related to OS, on ESXi 7.0 and Windows NIC speed is correct.

Nope, the beta BCM does not resolve the NIC speed problem under linux.
That seems to be related to amd microcode + driver issue (if you believe asrockrack)

I personally, “fixed” the issue by installing a 5Gbps NIC Aqtion aqc111c based PCI-e 3.0 1x in the 1x slot which would have no other usecase for me anyway. Quite cheap too, about 60 eur.

This looks like either:
a) bad cable / connection
b) bad monitor
c) bad gpu

Can’t be anything else, and I hope it’s not c.

Hi All,

Based on this thread I’m considering basing a new VMware home lab on the X570D4U (3 nodes). The purpose is to stay sharp at work and try out the latest releases of vSphere, NSX-T, vSAN, etc. It won’t hold any “real” workloads apart from lab VMs.

Reasons for this mobo:

• IPMI
  • SFF
  • More flexibility than a NUC

Questions:

• It seems many of you are using ESXi 7.x. How well does it install / work?
  • If you were building a home VMware lab, would you pick this platform? Are there better alternatives?

Any input appreciated!
Thanks

https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/downloads/details?productId=742&downloadGroup=ESXI670 - ESXi 6.7 :stuck_out_tongue:

Could somebody tell me what happens to the PCIe lanes if you use an APU with a dedicated GPU and PCIe x8 device?

I know that it is expected to have the PCIe 4.0 X16 (SLOT6) drop down to x8. Interestingly, SLOT6 experiences the same thing with a non-APU when the PCIe 4.0 x8 (SLOT4) is populated.

What happens when both of these conditions are true? Does SLOT4 become useless, or does it still function properly?

Thanks in advance!

I think I found a bug with the board. I had to rearrange my network cabling and temporarily pulled out the RJ-45 from the IPMI port and after I connected it back, I was unable to get a connection to the BMC software. The way I fixed this was by going in the BIOS, reconfiguring the BMC again and then it worked again. However, each time I boot into my system, pull the RJ-45 from the IPMI port and connect it back in, no more web page. Is anyone having the same issue? I did contact AsRock but they tell me they can’t reproduce that issue.

Please help me solve this fundamental problem.

I’ve assembled an ASrock Rack X570D4U server with a Ryzen 3700X CPU. I can’t access the BIOS through IPMI - the screen remains empty and I’ve never even seen the BIOS.

What does work:

• IPMI dashboard
  • remote control
  • installed Ubuntu
  • can login to Ubuntu

What does not work:

• BIOS screen - remains empty
  • System Inventory screen - remains empty and I can’t select a server

I have no idea as how to solve this; any help will be much appreciated.

EDIT: added firmware info

|BMC Firmware Version|1.00.00|
|BIOS Firmware Version|P1.00|
|PSP Firmware Version|0.14.0.15|
|Microcode Version|08701021|

This is not your problem, Asrock released shit, I have exactly the same issues, additional if you have linux OS you can meet network speed issue…

Did you contact Asrock? What did you/are planning to do?

Yee, I opened one ticket, no answer.
New firmware can help resolve part of problems, beta BMC has been released, but I wait on official release.

You can check posts Bogdan_Dumitru, He did great job.

@wincentvega Thanks, that was very useful.

@Bogdan_Dumitru Can you please take a look at my posting above (I’m not allowed to add the link) and see if there’s something you can add? Many thanks.

In the meantime I upgraded the BIOS to P1.10; no change
I can also report the final Dr. Debug code: “AA”

Do you mean perhaps the BIOS button from the IPMI webpage ? That doesn’t work for anybody on this motherboard. I know right? We payed full money for a half assed motherboard.

You can enter Bios Setup however, by using IPMI’s Remote Control and pressing delete while POSTing. i.e the classic way.
Sorry for not responding quickly, I’m not getting notifications for this forum, even though I’ve set it up properly (?)