ASRock X570D4I-2T

Hmm, I will have to write to them and let them know about the SATA power cable.

Fortunately, I have Corsair SF450 PSU in my machine so I’ll just go ahead and plug the drives it into that. Thanks again for your help understand this! I’ve never built a server before so this has been a fun learning experience.

It’s unfortunate you didn’t get the cables with your board, but I think they are available. I have also been looking at the Supermicro ones in case I need another.

I used both the OCULink to 4x SATA cable and 4pin to 6x SATA power cables that came in the box for my 2x 3.5" installed for now. I won’t have space for more than 4 of those in this case since I also recently installed an ASUS Hyper M.2 and it’s quite long. I can probably fit a few 2.5" on the outside of the drive trays though…

Things are starting to get tight, so I had to flip my PSU upside down because the 24pin connector was too difficult to bend out of the way of the Hyper card. I will get a shorty cable with a shorter sleeved extension at some point, but they’re all sold out right now. x16 to 4x4x4x4 bifurcation works great, and I think it’s cool that the OCULink is configurable either as PCIe or SATA. This is a sweet little motherboard.

Attaching a few pictures if anyone is interested to see how I’ve jammed it all in there. Yes, I know I’ve mounted the L9i with the heatsink the wrong direction and my cables are a mess, but it’s working for now.

2 Likes

Bumped your TL you can post more pictures now

Got the board, got a Ryzen 5800X to go along with it and used some spare DDR4 memory that I shucked from laptops to test and it works.

Board came with a v1.0.0 UEFI, updated the UEFI via IPMI as the old one doesn’t have the microcode for the 5000x series. Used the lab bios which was v2.08a and works fine. Did not have to have a CPU installed or running to update the UEFI. I did however notice that the board rebooted 3-4 times on first boot afterwards. Presumably it was completing the UEFI upgrade upon boot.

Was going to load ESXi onto it but have not tested it yet.

Instead of prying off the backplate, decided to go with the recommended M3x20mm screws and those were perfect for the Noctua NH-U9S that I had from my previous builds. Clearance is tight if you want to fit two fans and hard drives, I’ve bought the thin fans from Noctua and will try that when they arrive.

Here’s some pictures:

EDIT:

I also needed an extra oculink to sata breakout cable since the board only came with one which supports 4 drives per cable but I have 6 drives. Everywhere I looked the cables were out of stock, including the supermicro variant. I found two on Taobao and managed to order them, will report back if they work when they arrive but one of the oculink cables seem to have an SGPIO header attached to them and that’s interesting to me since I’ve not found a backplane that supports SGPIO from oculink and that is interesting. It costs about 23SGD per cable.

I’ve also emailed ASRock Rack directly and can get the official cable at 30SGD.

1 Like

Hi,
Dropping in, thanks for sharing, I borrowed the cooling solutions for the x570 and x550, and added one more fan over the nvme.
I cannot get the Samsung nvme’s to show up, even though I have set the U.2 Oculink to pcie mode, any ideas?
The thermal sensors are not super compatible, so the CPU fans are connected to the MB fan header, and all the other fans are running off of the Corsair commander. The fans on the MB are running on fixed curves, the intake, and exhaust on a profile.

Lots of pictures of the build on pc part picker, I won’t duplicate those here.![IMG_3565|648x550]

4 Likes

Has anyone successfully connected nvme (pcie) drives to the Oculink ports? I currently have two Samsung 970 evo plus drives connected with an adapter to U.2 and cannot get the BIOS to detected anything. The drives were in use in another system and I am assuming (for now) they are not both defective. Also, they are warm to the touch when the pc is on. I have done my best to set anything related to storage to pcie (vs sata) and have even gone through the process of loading into raidxpert2 hoping the drives would be detected, no luck. I am running the beta BIOS that provides support for zen 3, so this may be the origin of my troubles. But it would still be handy to know if anyone else has managed to get additional nvme drives working on this board. I am running out of ideas (and admittedly I am no hardened expert).

Thanks for any thoughts…cheers

Capture

no RDMA but, can the other features be used to speed up SMB and NFS file transfers?

Intelligent Offloads refers to mostly a number of TCP offloads where the NIC itself handles certain aspects of the TCP sessions instead of the OS/CPU, possibly increasing performance and freeing up CPU cycles from handling this work. Whether that will speed up SMB or NFS probably depends on a lot of other factors which may be the actual bottleneck such as using older protocol versions of SMB/NFS, disk I/O bottlenecks, etc. It should be easy to change those settings with ethtool in Linux, but many of the optimizations should already be enabled by default with newer driver versions. The X550 has been in the market since 2016.

1 Like

Did you have any issues installing ESXi? I have the same board, BIOS and BMC firmware versions but every time the ESXi installer crashes at the same point, when it loads the vmc_ahci driver. Different USB sticks, virtual CD drive, different M.2 storage/removing it all doesn’t seem to do anything. Driving me up the wall :T

1 Like

So after additional troubleshooting, it likes like it has to do with stability issues with the Ryzen 3600 and the current non-beta BIOS. After updating it to the current beta BIOS of L2.08a, the stability issues appear to be gone. Going to hit it with some more strenuous testing and see what happens

1 Like

Have no issues with ESXi on the 5800x with the latest L2.08a BIOS. I am however unable to passthrough the SATA controller to a VM and it seems that that is not an issue that’s tied with this board.

I’ve used the 2 x Kingston KSM29SED8/32ME on this board and works fine!

1 Like

Anyone know if there are BIOS settings that would force the USB ports from the header and the USB ports on the rear I/O panel to be handled by separate USB controllers?

I took a look at the block diagram for the board (page 11 in the manual) and, though I have very little experience reading hardware architecture diagrams, it looks like the USB 3.1 Gen 2 ports are connected directly to the CPU while the USB 3.1 Gen 1 header is connected to the X570 chipset.
Screen Shot 2021-01-15 at 6.35.31 PM
The output of lspci (below) seems to show that there are two USB controllers on the board:

root@mycomputer:~# lspci | grep USB
2a:00.1 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Matisse USB 3.0 Host Controller
2a:00.3 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Matisse USB 3.0 Host Controller
2f:00.3 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Matisse USB 3.0 Host Controller

Note that I believe 2a:00.1 and 2a:00.3 are the same controller since they have the same bus number and device number.

In the BIOS I see a few options related to XHCI (USB 3.0) controllers in the “X570/X590 Chipset USB Configuration Options” submenu and the “FCH Common Options” submenu. In the X570/X590 menu there are options to enable/disable Controller0 and Controller1 which further suggests to me that there are two controllers on the board:

Additionally, in the FCH submenu there is a separate option to enable/disable XHCI Controller0

From the block diagram, I thought that the ports connected to the CPU indirectly via the X570 chipset might be handled by the Fusion Controller Hub (southbridge).

My experiments have shown that disabling Controller0 via the “FCH Common Options” menu removes the controller at 2f:00.3 from the system. However, regardless of which port I plug my USB peripherals into, they are all handled by controller 2a:00.3. USB 2.0 peripherals and USB 3.0 peripherals are attached to separate buses but they are all serviced by that same aforementioned controller.

Bus 3 --> 0000:2a:00.3 (IOMMU group 20)
Bus 003 Device 011: ID 046b:ff10 American Megatrends, Inc. Virtual Keyboard and Mouse
Bus 003 Device 010: ID 046b:ffb0 American Megatrends, Inc. 4-Port USB 2.0 Hub
Bus 003 Device 009: ID 046b:ff20 American Megatrends, Inc.
Bus 003 Device 007: ID 046b:ff01 American Megatrends, Inc. Virtual Hub
Bus 003 Device 005: ID 413c:3010 Dell Computer Corp. Optical Wheel Mouse
Bus 003 Device 008: ID 0b05:190e ASUSTek Computer, Inc. Dell USB Keyboard Hub
Bus 003 Device 006: ID 20f4:808a TRENDnet
Bus 003 Device 003: ID 0bda:5411 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. 4-Port USB 2.0 Hub
Bus 003 Device 004: ID 413c:2010 Dell Computer Corp. Keyboard
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 413c:1003 Dell Computer Corp. Keyboard Hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

Bus 4 --> 0000:2a:00.3 (IOMMU group 20)
Bus 004 Device 005: ID 174c:55aa ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1051E SATA 6Gb/s bridge, ASM1053E SATA 6Gb/s bridge, ASM1153 SATA 3Gb/s bridge
Bus 004 Device 004: ID 05e3:0749 Genesys Logic, Inc. 4-Port USB 3.0 Hub
Bus 004 Device 003: ID 0bda:0411 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. 4-Port USB 3.0 Hub
Bus 004 Device 002: ID 090c:1000 Silicon Motion, Inc. - Taiwan (formerly Feiya Technology Corp.) Flash Drive
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub

I’m aiming to pass-through two of the ports on the board to a VM and am hunting for the magic BIOS settings that might split these ports onto distinct controllers. It would be acceptable for my rig if the passed-through ports had to run at USB 2.0 speeds and to that end I searched for “XHCI/EHCI handoff” options in the BIOS but could not find anything.

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated!

Here are the OcuLink cables that I mentioned I bought from Taobao.

I’ve tested this one and can confirm it works.

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.49.761b6b14fg8hir&id=625473438025

I’ve not tested this one and this is the one that has a SGPIO header. Will see if I can get a picture.
https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.138.761b6b14fg8hir&id=631155344467

I just received my motherboard and it seems perfect. Lucky enough my cooler and other components fit nicely and work as expected.

I’m using an Asetek 645LT on the CPU, but I can’t figure out how to control the pump PWM and/or the fan PWM. Are there any actually BIOS settings for controlling the fans (FAN1, FAN2, FAN3) individually? I’ve connected the pump to FAN1 and the radiator fan to FAN2.

I’ve upgraded my BIOS to P2.10 after receiving a link from ASRock to support my Ryzen 9 5900X.

Could you please share the P2.10 bios?

Sure, I also received BMC version 1.25.00, but it’s password protected and I never received the password. :woman_shrugging:

I’m attaching both below.

https://transfer.sh/vjbOX/X574I2T2.10.zip (BIOS)

https://transfer.sh/qklNj/X570D4I-2T_L1.25.00.zip (BMC)

@kosmon did you have any issues with 2.08a? I updated to it when I got my board to be able to use a 5900x as well, and I didn’t have any issues.

I haven’t tried 2.08A, this was the BIOS and BMC ASRock sent me when I contacted them.

Could someone else with this variant of the motherboard, run this in a linux terminal and paste here the result?
for netdevs in $(lspci | grep I210 | awk '{print $1}'); do echo -e "$netdevs - Link Speed: $(cat /sys/bus/pci/devices/0000:$netdevs/max_link_speed) - Link Width: $(cat /sys/bus/pci/devices/0000:$netdevs/max_link_width)x"; done
copy and paste it as a single line. It might need root permissions.

I’ve noticed a lot of this motherboard devices negociated a 2.5GT/s link which translates into version 1 (ONE) of the PCI-e. That can mean that there’s not enough PCIe bandwidth for the network card to reach duplex 1Gbps speeds.

my results are on a X570D4U (the one without 10Gbe) are
26:00.0 - Link Speed: 2.5 GT/s - Link Width: 1x
27:00.0 - Link Speed: 2.5 GT/s - Link Width: 1x
The result of that (i think) is download speed on either embedded interfaces is capped at 300Mbps.

Thank you!
(I would ask on the X570D4U thread but this stupid crap of a forum won’t let me post more than 3 posts on the same thread)

EDIT: Nevermind. It seems it’s supposed to be 2.5GT/s 1x from the intel spec.

Does anyone know if it’s possible to use the OCuLink ports for something other than SATA? Like wireless cards? 4G? Thunderbolt?