ASRock X570D4I-2T

Your comments on thermal performance are focused on the CPU; cooling the CPU on this board has been the least of my problems. Instead, it’s cooling the X570 and X550 chipsets that has proved the major headache with this board.

I have a CS01-HS myself (though I’m not using it with the X570D4I-2T), so I’m very familiar with this case: its thermal performance isn’t the worst; but it’s not great, either. Are you actually managing to keep the X570 and X550 chipsets reasonably cool? Are you using just the 120mm bottom fan, or have you employed some additional fans? Perhaps the incidental cooling from the NH-L9i downdraft has a significant impact?

My X570D4I-2T is in an LD-03 case; and so far, the only way I’ve been able to keep these chipsets cool is by employing a really noisy 32-38mm thick 120mm fan at the bottom of the case. The worst part is there seems to be no real control over fan curves on this board: the BIOS settings that would appear to control it seem in fact to be entirely decorative. I’m using a NH-D15S to cool the CPU—which is great for the CPU, but its fans don’t do much for the surrounding motherboard surface.

My next stab at bringing things under control involves a couple of 40mm Noctua fans, the attachment for which I’m still sorting out.

Here’s a screenshot of my temperature sensor readouts at idle. The two fans that appear in the output are the stock 120mm 1200RPM fan that came with the CS01-HS (FAN2) and the NH-L9i (FAN1).
Screen Shot 2020-11-22 at 12.34.04 AM
From the image above, it’s clear that the X550 (Onboard LAN) is the hottest component on the board but not by a very wide margin. The X550 data sheet specifies that the maximum operating temperature for the chipset is 103°C. According to that document:

Properly designed solutions provide adequate cooling to maintain the X550 case temperature (Tcase) at or below those listed in Table 14-2. The device should function properly if case temperatures are kept at or below those presented. Ideally this is accomplished by providing a low local ambient temperature airflow, and creating a minimal thermal resistance to that local ambient temperature. Heat sinks and higher airflow might be required if case temperatures exceed those listed in Table 14-2.

Personally, I have been aiming to give all the chipsets on the board a minimum of 15°C of headroom at idle so any cooling solution that keeps the X550 at or below 85°C is acceptable to me.

I could not find a comprehensive data sheet for the X570 but this thread suggests that it also has a max operating temperature of 100-105°C which implies that 49°C is very safe.

There are a few aspects of my build that may be contributing to my satisfactory temps. First, when mounting the NH-L9i I made sure to orient the fins parallel to the RAM slots, as described in the video below, in order to prevent the cooler from dumping hot air into the memory bank.

Coincidentally, this also lines them up parallel with the fins on the X570 heat sink. In the CS01-HS, this means that cool air will be pulled up from the bottom of the case by the intake fan, flow through the X570 heat sink and then up into the fins of the NH-L9i, increasing the airflow passing through its cooling elements, before finally exhausting out the top of the case. I’ve added some blue arrows to a pic of the board below to illustrate airflow. For folks who don’t have the CS01-HS, in this case the board is mounted vertically with the I/O ports on the top and the X570 chipset on the bottom near the floor.

If my airflow model is accurate, the X550 - way up in the top right tucked between the RAM and the solid I/O shield (not pictured) - is not getting much incidental exposure to moving air from the NH-L9i exhaust and is likely at least partially blocked off from the flow generated by the case fan so it doesn’t surprise me that it’s the toastiest component on the board even before considering that it is a hot piece of silicon to begin with.

I should emphasize again that the temperatures above were captured at idle and I am not pushing the system very hard at all. I’m currently running Unraid with 6 docker containers + a Plex media server in a windows VM and the X550 is only wired up to a 1GbE network (planning to upgrade to 10GbE in a few years). My network throughput at idle is a measly 50Kbps and CPU load is 1-2%. My machine also lives in a cool basement, ambient temp <20°C. If temperatures become a problem my plan is to swap the stock case fan with a Noctua NF-A12x25 – the stock fan is a little noisy so I may switch it out just for acoustics rather than thermals.

1 Like

Those are very surprising temperatures based on my experience; I would not have expected this board to fare so well in the CS01-HS without some clever assistance. Clearly the bottom 120mm fan is doing a decent job of things. The downdraft from the NH-L9i may be helping the X570 chipset; but the way things are laid out, I doubt it’s doing much for the X550.

The LD03 also has a 120mm fan at the bottom. However, a significant difference is that in the LD03, the power supply is positioned in the same plane as the motherboard. This causes the bottom 120mm fan to be offset from the plane of the motherboard by a couple of inches or so; as a result, this fan doesn’t directly blow across the surface of the board.

My use of the NH-D15S, while just dandy for the CPU, is no help to these chipsets, either. The fans on this cooler don’t blow on the board surface at all.

But I think I’ve tamed this beast. Here are the two NF-A4x10 PWM fans installed:

For the X570 chipset, I was able to loop 6" zipties under the heatsink. For the X550 chipset, the fan was actually held in place half-decently just by tension applied from the cable bundle you can see to the right of it. I wasn’t quite confident in this; so I affixed it to the side of the case (actually the I/O backplate) using Scotch fasteners that I cut to size.

At idle:

And the noise level is quite tolerable.

3 Likes

Did this get a bios update for Zen 3? They seem to not have updated their CPU Support list on asrack. o.O

it did - but in ‘beta zone’ tab for now - that’s why official CPU support list did not change

I did mine blow through style

3 Likes

Hey all,

So I find myself in the same situation as others regarding issues with a compatible cooler. I had previously purchased a Noctua Noctua NH-L9a-AM4, which obviously won’t mount.

I am already limited as to what CPU coolers I can use since I am trying to fit everything into a Silverstone SST-SG13B.

At the moment, I have a Noctua NH-L9i on the way. Apparently this can work with M3x14mm screws (according to @fridolin’s post). I am going to try this method. I’ve also heard of some owners removing the back-plate and using the supplied Noctua back-plate. This seems more risky, so I am going to try the screws first.

I’m not sure if I will face any other heating problems as the case itself has a pretty good airflow design. I also mounted a 140mm Noctua fan in the front to pull in cool air. Once I get this all set up, I’ll do some benchmarks.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this form. I would be pretty stumped at this point if it weren’t for you all.

I’m also curious if the Noctua NH-L12S could work on this board? It would still fit in my Silverstone SST SG-13, and offers better performance/noise level.

I use the stock cooler that came with my 3900x on my x470D4U2-2T, not the best but plenty good and fits all ram slots without ant issues

I wish I could try the stock cooler, but there’s not enough headroom with this Silverstone case :frowning:

You also have the x470, which I believe has the traditional AM4 bracket. Since the x570 is so dense, ASRock had to use an 1156 bracket type. I love the features on this board, but man, this has certainly thrown a wrench in my build flow lol.

1 Like

Wow never even noticed that it was that different, thats crazy in a way, but also pretty cool.

It took me about 10 secs to remove the blackplate. I used a plastic card to detach it at the corners. If there is not enough room to put the card between the board and the plate, push down the screw threads of the plate from the other side of the board.

I was thinking to swap from the NH-L9i to NH-L12S at some point too. However, the width may make it tricky to use the OCULink and FAN1 connectors. Thinking that the NH-D9L or NH-U9S might be better choices for this motherboard, as long as your case has enough space for the height. For my Node 304, if I could go back in time, I probably would’ve bought the NH-D9L.

So I was able to get the NH-L12S installed. In the end I just ended up taking off the back-plate which wasn’t too hard to do. I moved the fan on the NH-L12S (see last pic) back to make more room for the IO. @fridolin I’m using a Silverstone SST-SG13, so I have very limited room. Clearance is tight, but I think I could still manage to plug the OCULink connections in? For now, I am just using a single m.2, but I will be expanding soon to two SSD’s.

I don’t think this is the most optimal orientation of the NH-L12S, but I have to do it this way so that I can fit in a nvidia P2000 in the PCI-e slot.

Since this is a new account, I’m only allowed to post two pictures :frowning:

1 Like

So I’d like to add a couple ssd drives, but this oculink interface is pretty new to me. What cables/adapters do I need to connect to some sata ssds? I have another build coming up that uses this same board. It will just be a NAS and have 8x 3,5 sata drives, im assuming that oculink doesn’t have power being pushed through it either?

EDIT: I can’t find those jpc oculink cables anywhere here in Europe, but these look pretty close:

senetic .fr/product/CBL-SAST-0933

Those Occulink cables are available in quite a few stores in europe:
https://geizhals.eu/supermicro-oculink-sff-8611-plug-to-4x-sata-socket-cbl-sast-0933-a2231969.html

But it depends where you live exactly.
+ the manual says you should have gotten one such cable in the box

edit:

you assume correctly - it’s in function just a smaller version of 4xsata connectors in your case. (easier to fit 2 occulink than 8 sata on such a small board)

Thanks for the link! I’m relieved I have quite a few options it seems.

My board didn’t come with the original box, cables, or manual. I contacted the vendor about this and they said its the ‘tray’ version which sells for a discount.

As for power, there is a ATX12V 4 pin connector right next to the oculink ports. Is there any benefit to using that port as opposed to plugging in directly to the PSU?

I believe that the ATX12V 4 pin connector can only power up to 6 drives, so that won’t suite my needs for the NAS, but will be fine for my other server. The only issue is I can’t seem to find which cable I need for that. I searched google for a ‘4 pin atx12v sata cable’ and only 4 pin molex to sata cables show up in the results.

I’m sure I’m not searching for the right thing…

This board can be used with much less standard 12V DC PSUs. If you were to use one such PSU without any direct way to connect SATA drives then this 4 pin connector can be used.
So the ‘benefit’ is an ability to use smaller/non-standard/simple-DC PSU

If you have a way to power drives directly from the PSU then that will work. Again that 4pin>sata power cable should have been in the box. but yeah. I think it’s poissible to buy a cable for this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CK2FFW1/ref=dp_prsubs_3
but I would be super careful about pinout of such 3rd party cables.

edit:
quote from the manual:

Please use a SATA power cable
to connect this SATA Power
Connector and your SATA
HDD for supplying power
from the motherboard, when
using DC-IN mode without
SATA power supply.

I assume:

• ‘SATA power cable’ is the cable in question that you are missing and was in the box originally
  • ‘SATA Power Connector’ is the 4pin atx-like connector on the board next to the oculink ports
  • ‘SATA power supply’ is any PSU that can has direct sata power ports

Hmm, I will have to write to them and let them know about the SATA power cable.

Fortunately, I have Corsair SF450 PSU in my machine so I’ll just go ahead and plug the drives it into that. Thanks again for your help understand this! I’ve never built a server before so this has been a fun learning experience.

It’s unfortunate you didn’t get the cables with your board, but I think they are available. I have also been looking at the Supermicro ones in case I need another.

I used both the OCULink to 4x SATA cable and 4pin to 6x SATA power cables that came in the box for my 2x 3.5" installed for now. I won’t have space for more than 4 of those in this case since I also recently installed an ASUS Hyper M.2 and it’s quite long. I can probably fit a few 2.5" on the outside of the drive trays though…

Things are starting to get tight, so I had to flip my PSU upside down because the 24pin connector was too difficult to bend out of the way of the Hyper card. I will get a shorty cable with a shorter sleeved extension at some point, but they’re all sold out right now. x16 to 4x4x4x4 bifurcation works great, and I think it’s cool that the OCULink is configurable either as PCIe or SATA. This is a sweet little motherboard.

Attaching a few pictures if anyone is interested to see how I’ve jammed it all in there. Yes, I know I’ve mounted the L9i with the heatsink the wrong direction and my cables are a mess, but it’s working for now.

2 Likes