ASRock X370 TaiChi Motherboard Review- Ryzen | Level One Techs

"we should do some BSD testing" -- a thousand times yes.

I'd be very interested to see if TrueOS "just works" on any am4 boards

@anon25377527 note the multiplier and freq disparity in that validation picture. be prepared to do some bclock tweaking (meaning you need a board with external clock generation)

2 Likes

Something something dragonfly bsd or go home something something.

But in all honesty I don't care what bsd it is at least we get a bsd video.

dragonfly most likely doesn't even support am4. I have not looked at them in ages. And I hat safari. To them bsd is bad, because auto correct always corrects it to that.

I read this as "we should do some BDSM testing"....

Are there much differences in Linux distributions nowadays? Aren't they pretty similar in terms of compatibility?

BSD isn't linux.

They tend to be slower to cover bleeding edge hw because they maintain a whole OS instead of just a kernel (though each BSD 'distribution' is typically pretty good about cooperating on fixes and sharing code.)

1 Like

Of course it autocorrects to bad, apple doesn't want people to know they're just selling someone else's OS with a riced out UI and a locked down package manager.

but hat is still hat apparently.

TrueOS or FreeBSD would be my preference.

[inb4 I get HAMMERed Open on the Net until I'm a bitter, Hardened, Ghost for this]

1 Like

Nice review ;-)

@wendell did you allready found out which particular powerpacks they use for the main vrm on this Taichi?

1 Like

That's more AHOC's area of expertise. (Chill, they don't directly compete and they're both great Youtubers)

I'd expect a GN or AHOC video on this soon

Normally i do my own expertises on motherboard vrm cirquitries.
Most of the parts i allready know, like 6+2 phase IR35201 pwm 6 phases doubled to 12 for main vcore and 2 phases doubled to 4 for soc.
60A blackwing inductors and 12K output capacitors.
The only thing iĀ“m looking after is which particular fets they have used to get my picture complete.
I allready have the complete picture of the Asus Crosshair Vi Hero.
I want to compair the Hero to the Taichi in particular.

the fact that Wendell got his chip to 4.2 stable makes me think that whatever they're using, they aren't cutting too many corners. I'm interested to see too.

The vrm looks pretty good as far as i can see.
I wouldnt be suprised if they exally use similar 40A Ti Nextfets as on the Asus Crosshair Hero.
Because Asrock also use those same Nexfets on some of their highend Z270 boards.
But i need to be sure.

I think it's his voice in general :) I'm a new follower, and have only been watching the videos for a few days now, but I've found every one of them to have that calming effect.

2 Likes

A well reasoned motherboard review based on facts and posted on youtube. Someone went full accelerate. Never go full acceleration on youtube.

Any mention of thermocouple headers on the TaiChi board?

1 Like

that's more of an AHOC detail

Hi,

I'm looking for a motherboard X370 that accept G.Skill Trident Z DDR4 2 x 16 Go 3200 MHz CAS 14
( F4-3200C14D-32GTZ ) at 3200 Mhz.

Is it sure it works on the taichi ? It's not on the memory support list :/

I have a aorus gaming 5 for the moment and it won't go above 2400 mhz ...

Thank you !

Just wait for BIOS updates to use higher speeds, there is still a lot of tuning to be done. Maybe ask Gigabyte if they are expecting to get that memory running soon.

That's what I've done, I've sent them an email at the technic contact and they replied me, if the memory is not in the list it's not supported.

They didn't seem to be concern on what I said :(

I have 14 days to return my motherboard if i'm not happy with is, so I have to make my choice really quickly :/

If I'm sure the Taichi is ok at 3200 mhz with my kit (2x16Go F4-3200C14D-32GTZ) I'll buy it and send back the Aorus Gaming 5 since I'm not sure Gigabyte will manage to make it work.

In fact, there not any memory kit with 2 x 16Go that is the listing, so may be there is a problem with that size.

Because the same DDR4 with 8Go stick is working well at 3200 ...

I'm wondering when it will be available in Europe. It's ASUS and Gigabyte only...

Fun fact: in Bulgaria (part of EU) I have finally found all Asrock motherboards. Except the TaiChi.
B350 Pro4 is the cheapest at 115,-ā‚¬
While X370 Fatality is the most expensive at 325,-ā‚¬
Still missing the TaiChi for full picture of the board pricing of Asrock.
Basically:

Give it time. MSI also just started to surface in here...

I was a X99 early adopter and for the first time ever, I decided to give ASRock a try. Since I purchased the board, ASRock have released twelve new UEFI versions to increase memory compatibility, increase NVMe compatibility and increase overall board stability. I never had a moment's trouble with the original UEFI, but I have been delighted to see ASRock supporting their products years after my purchase, since this has become increasingly unusual, or late.

So, while I am sure that all mobo vendors will eventually get their Ryzen bugs worked out, I am really impressed with ASRock's long term commitment. Does this mean that they will never turn out a dud, or that the management team won't decide to go in a different direction? Certainly not. But, if I were to need a Ryzen board tomorrow, the Taichi would definitely be on my short list.

Well, to be fair, X99 is still a "current" platform, even though it is a few years old it is still the most current you're gonna get in the enthusiast market. I doubt they are still actively supporting Z97 or whatever released at the same time (without having looked at it cause I'm lazy). Maybe an update every now and then, but not as active I would guess.

/edit
Just looked at it and apparently the Z97 Extreme boards at least got NVMe support in mid-2016, but the other boards weren't so lucky. It's always a matter of the specific model of course.