ASRock X370 TaiChi Motherboard Review- Ryzen | Level One Techs

Since it is current, I would expect (hope for) bug fixes. And, It is not too unusual for a board manufacturer to release drivers when a new Windows OS is released. But, I am surprised to receive patches adding increased functionality and compatibility, literally years after the purchase. Perhaps I am too easily impressed?

I'm just giving them a high five for the quality of their products and their long term commitment to their products/customers. Would definitely ASRock again.

@wendell and anyone else
Oooh. Just discovered that the Pstates control not only the power settings but also XFR. Time for some testing :D
I'll be going through and seeing what all happens but definitely could lead to some intriguing overclock results.
Like perhaps 4.3+ ghz on one core, and down to 4ghz on all cores, etc, by messing with the Pstates enough, and providing the chip is cooled well.

pstates is the only way I got to 4.2ghz quasi-stable
what codes do you have for the xfr? I just did voltage and multiplier in pstsate. with that you dont have to let the master utility do anything and temps seem way better.

2 Likes

you should see how far you can push just one core, for sure. throw the other 7 into power saving and ramp the crap out of it.

really curious to see how far it can be pushed on one core subambient.

I can get 4.2 ghz on all cores just barely on a noctua u12s. but.
Will definitely have to dig into exactly what the settings do. As the various Pstates are ... interesting. to play with.
And i haven't even touched Master software, wouldn't even install on my system xD

I want to get the master beta (lulz) but I cant find a link for it. supposedly it still allows xfr/power management. or they have a plan for that. who knows.

was disappointed the first round of benchmarks for the 1080ti + ryzen was showing huge wins for amd, then not so much, 7700k is back on top now.

Wee.

1 Like

Kinda logical the per core performance of Kabylake is significantlly better,
then Ryzen from what i have seen.
Next to that the overclock potential of Ryzen just isnt there yet.
Maybe AMD manages to get the R5's with higher clocks.
But thats of course yet to be seen.

Ryzen 7 cpu´s are nice for productivity at their price point.
But for gaming they dont make that much sense.
The R5´s are probablly going to be more interesting to gamers,
with a price point below $300,-
But they do need to get the clock speeds up.

Then again, the 7700K has way higher clock (at least I have only seen benchmarks on stock settings). So I'd be interested to see the 1800X' performance at 4,2GHz core by core, or the 7700K downclocked to 3,6GHz and see what happens.

And really, they are still great for Gaming... Not exclusively gaming maybe, but when you're doing both (or a lot of streaming even), you're definitely not doing anything wrong going for one of the Ryzens.

It will still lose to kabylake.
Kevin from tech showdown did a compairisson between a 1800X and 6900K Broadwell-E at the same clockspeeds, and same memory clocks.
And Broadwell-E also won in every game he tested with a GTX1080.
So with a GTX1080Ti that diffrence will only get bigger.

Single threaded performance of the 1800X is also still slightly lower then Broadwell-E in CinebenchR15.
So its highly unlikely that it would ever beat Kabylake in pure gaming arround the board.
Like i said Ryzen R7 performs great in productivity.
And they basiclly also perform reasonably well in gaming.
But for gamers its not really the best buy atm imo.

The only link i found... had a download that didn't work :P

also i may just dive into editing the states directly from windows which will be interesting, can see how that goes.

In one of his videos (don't know which one exaclty) @wendell mentioned an UEFI auto update feature, which basically allowed the board to connect to the Internet and download an update. Does the Taichi board have this feature?

(Also, isn't this kind of irresponsible from a security point of view?)

Edit: yeah! Taichi is in Amazon's store, just purchased it :-)

Yup but the daily bios updates are labeled beta so you have to manually do those

2 Likes

thx, would you recommend them in terms of stability? (I prefer to be cautious when it comes to Beta BIOSes, but then again Ryzen is pretty new)

Been ok for me so far but the boot menu is a bit squirrely

2 Likes

Very technical terminology :D

1 Like

I am rubbing off :)~

sounds like something you should keep private

I think this is what you want. https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/ryzen-master
Process lasso could be interesting tool to use in testing and identifying any funny business. https://bitsum.com/

So, after purchasing the mainboard I noticed Amazon recommending Intel CPUs which is why I checked my order again. As it turns out, I accidently purchased an X99 board. Therefore I had to cancel my order... and on top of that, I feel pretty stupid :D

Do you live near a microcenter? They have motherboards in stock.

1 Like