ASRock X370 TaiChi Motherboard Review- Ryzen | Level One Techs

It would be a big help if Asrock would explain real clearly what changes in bios and what advantages a new bios will bring to a motherboard…

They did post a changelog somewhere. No ram changes or init algorithm changes but mostly big fixes and some new options.

2 Likes

Just received my board today. Once I get my system built, I’ll let you guys know.

Agreed. The same could be said of most motherboard vendors though.

Yep, but it’s a bit vague as to what has actually changed. I’d like to know the differences between AGESA 1.0.0.6, 1.0.0.6a & 1.0.0.6b.

Anyway - I’ll flash the UEFI on mine and see what happens.

Sadly my Ryzen CPU is an early one which segfaults under heavy compilation in Linux, which is exactly what I bought it for. It’s a lot more stable with “uOP Cache” disabled in the UEFI, but I still don’t trust it 100%.
I gather AMD are now RMAing these, so will consider starting that process next week.

1 Like

Is there anyway to confirm if you have one of these early CPUs without testing it?

Unfortunately not, as for testing the best method is to run mprime to stress the CPU and attempt to compile something at the same time. I tried this with gcc 7.2.0 but most things will trigger it if you have a faulty chip.

If you want more information on the fault you can look here:

1 Like

There is a date code etched on the CPU lid.
Mine is “UA 1711PGS” which means week 11 of 2017.
If yours is week 25 or later, it may be OK - but as @MichaelLindman says above, the only way to know for sure is to stress test it.

2 Likes

Well, having just updated the BIOS to 3.10, I can report it updates the CPU microcode from 0x8001126 to 0x8001129.
I wonder what that fixes…

@wendell - FYI

1 Like

Start your RMA process NOW already.

You will be asked to provide a bunch of screenshots and pics of your case setup, and then still have to wait until they have sourced a validated part. So that takes a while, you can save yourself a bunch of headache and waiting by getting that out of the way as soon as possible

1 Like

FWiW: This is the first time I have seen a Week 11 1800X PGS Ryzen chip.

Usually I’ve only come across UA 17XX PGT/SUS/SUT.

What those mean is also described in my article that Michael linked above.

hey was looking for a up to date review of the x370 taichi and found this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UM1vnQ4WLz8 i don’t know if anyone knows about it but looks like someone has re-posted the vid from level1 on the taichi

@wendell In case you missed it.

I’ve opened a case today. Awaiting AMD’s reply.

So just out of curiosity. Were other Taichi owners having similar problems when inserting their RAM sticks. The manual has this image:

ramopn

However, on my Taichi it only opens on one side (not the second), but I’m able to push the RAM sticks in nontheless.

Anyone with this board having issues with the USB 3 ports?

What type of issues?

They would randomly stop working for me until I rebooted on early BIOS version, but I haven’t seen the issue for quite a while now.

Pretty much that. Fresh Windows 10 install today, Bios 3.20. Windows just finished updating and things seem stable now. Fingers crossed.

Mine is just sitting around, gathering dust in its box until i get the money to buy the rest of the parts…

I haven’t noticed any problems (even with earlier BIOS versions)

I am unsure what bios I am on, but I haven’t had a problem with usb ports.