Asrock Wrx80 Creator & Threadripper 5995wrx issues with resources?

Hello Levelonetechsforums. NIce to meet you all.

So I am having issues with resources in my threadripper Pro system. For whatever reason, any time i start a transfer my transfer speeds will start high in the 3-2 gb range then drop as low as 40-50 mbps. It dropping to 500-700 mbps with pcie gen 4 nvme ssds would make sense but 40-50 mbps is ridiculous. I am also realizing that when it drops the cpu ussage suddently jumps to around 30 % and things become a bit more sluggish.

I have reseated the cpu several times. I have had no blue screens. I have 9 monitors connected to the dispaly because that is the amount i need/want/ like for my unique work flow. when i connect less monitors the speed issue does seem to go away but can sometimes reappear. This issue has been a true game of wackamole. It doesnt matter which Nvme i am using on the board either. I have 4 in a gigabyte nvme add in card and 2 on the mother board. The slow transferes seem to be linking up to how many active things i am using on the pcie buss but i cannot say for sure. IN the bios i am running flawlessly. NO issues with recognizing hardware or anything of this sort (though thunderbold is a whole other can of worms with this system.

Any comments or advice on this? Anything will help. This is my main workstation and this whole process has been expensive, relentless , and tiresome.

What’s the network card? Two versions of this board. One with Intel nics. One not.

I actually intentinally got the one with intel nics because those are thought of as the better nics. I figured they changed to marvel just due to the chip shortage. So i have the original version, not the 2.0.

Can you tell which process is hogging the CPU during file transfers (I’m assuming Windows)?

I’m wondering if the “security suite” built into windows it bogging things down.

Thats the most confusing part. @twin_savage It says something pretty generic but atm I am unable to say exactly what. I bought the asus wifi sage ii thinking it had a tb4 header but of course it does not.

Btw i do not know what your guys experince has been , but the build quality of the ASROCK Wrx80 Creator board is honeslty pathetic. The clips are very fragile, the heatsinks on the nvme drives leave a lot to be desired.

That said, i will say it has the best bios ive used thus far on any board. Every piece of hardware i put into that board worked as far as posting is concerned. When it comes to the stabliity issue i am having with windows, thats another story .

I cannot for the life of me figure out what could be causing this hard limitation when it comes to the file transfers when all of my devices are connected.

I tried this on mine, and it seems fine. I’d be tempted to try to load Intel nic drivers from Intel .com as it smells like Intel driver qa/qc. Possibly bad patch cable type things.

Tried disabling the green/low power Ethernet options in settings? Tried a Linux live USB to see if it’s faster?

Iperf is also useful for testing

Thanks for the information @wendell . It seems like you guys might be referring to network transfers. I am referring to nvme and hdd transferes. File transfers of any kind. The kind of behavior I am having with this computer reminds me of issues with a cmoputer struggling with management of numa nodes.When the file transfers get slow, the processor increases in uses and other things get very choppy and slow along with everything. It’s such a peculiar strange issue.

ohhhh, not network. Interesting.

In windows event viewer do you have any whea errors?

I wouldn’t be happy with even 500-700 milli bits per second, to be honest!

1 Like

@wendell Thats what makes this issue so illusive. I am having 0 blue screens. If i run a game or something itll do fine. However it seems to me that any intensive varied workloads that involve transfers or intensive multitasking(the two main things i do) The system will get slugglish, stuttery and ill get random spikes in the cpu. It really makes no sense.

@xzpfzxds The occasional drop to 500 - 700mb on a big file transfer can be normal behavior depending on the state oef your drives and other workspace conditions. The reality is though that when im doing transfers i am getting pretty consistently between 60- 90 mb. Sometimes it will eve n drop to the KBs and the system will be incredibliy laggy until the transfer is stopped which obviously isnt normal behavior.

I will say another stange component is even figuring out what the cause could be. I am wondering if it is software related. Removing the nvidia drivers does seem to have helped with increased transfers at times but i do not know if that is because i go down 8 monitors and there is less things connected, or if it is a simple driver conflict.

At the moment i am rigging up my 5995 in the Asus sage wrx80 wifi II to see if i can at least get my base system stable with all of my peripherals and devices working. I have not given up on the wrx 80 creator board but this downtime I have had getting my system up and running is approaching over a month now rapidly. I really need my things online. ASAP . I am not going to give up on this.

Have you tried using a third party file copy tool to possibly rule out Window’s nannys slowing things down at random? Such as fastcopy, I’ve been in a similar situation were local file transfers would slow to a crawl whenever I used “native” file copy but fastcopy would run at expected speed; after discovering that I could start troubleshooting why windows defender went into overdrive.

imo Asrock currently offers the best/fastest release cadence of BIOSes and software support. ASUS offers superior hardware quality.

that can be normal, no bsod, but weirdness. can you upload your windows event viewer files, or you can PM them to me? or screenshots? even if you are not in that board now, the history is probably still in your event viewer file.

It looks like the Asus Wrx80 board thats built so well is DOA. So i am about to drive down to microcenter for the 4th time (2 hour drive 1 way) to return this board. I am thinking just in case ill pick up a Asrock 2.0 version of the board just to have a back up to test this issue.

@wendell I will pm you some video once i get in the system up and running if it is still doing it on the 2.0. I actually wanted to ask you if you think the regular board is better than the 2.0 version of the board.

Agreed on the Asrock board. I’ve got both the first rev Sage and the Creator R2.0 and the difference is night and day in build quality. If only the Sage supported PBO!

@wendell Wow. What a journey attempting to figure out this issue has been. I have tried a lot of different things and still have not figured out what is going on.

At this point due to the fact that the Threadripper platform is the only platform that can do what i need it to do i am just bearing with the slowdowns . The system is functional but it is painful anytime i am installing/transfering data/doing any kind of super varied multitasking.

So I orginally had the Wrx80 Creator borad with the intel nics which is what i wanted. I maanged to get that board to the state my computer is currently in now. Functional but with all of the slow downs in the same areas mentioned above in windows 11. Due to this i suspected it could potentally be a board issue so i went ahead and grabbed an Asus Wrx80 Sage motherboard and an ASrock wrx80 Creator 2.0 revision board( My current board now).

When rigging up the system and runnning many different configs with varied amounts of hardware connected to the system , i was able to replicate the slowdowns that i have been having regardless of which board i was using, and regardless of what components i had connected to the system. I am talking about a lot of component variations here. One stick of ram to many stucks. Standard ram to Ecc ram. Switching PSUs , and nvme drives. SWitching Gpus. Doesnt matter. If the system is pushed enough in windows these issues show up. It doesn’t take much pushing either.

I have done limited testing in linux with a bootable drive and the issues seem to not be present there but i still need to do more thorough testing to confirm this. I am not really much of a linux user but i have a good friend that is and we have agreed that with how niche my system is it might be a good idea to actually have a linux install on the ready just for testing purposes alone.

Anyway, Due to the Asrock wrx80 creator board being so fragile and perhaps me being a bit stir crazy after almost a full month of driving 4 hours to microcenter (two hours both ways) and trying different hardware configurations and fighting to get this system to work as desired I finaally landed on the ASrock creator 2.0 motherboard as the board i would end up using not because i wanted that version, but because all the tamporing and hardware swapping apparently caused the Asrock creator board with the intel nics to stop seeing all the ram.

Presently i have continued setting up my system in my desired way with all of the io i typically have connected runnning. Like the original issue i have been trying to diagnose, my system still seems to be incredibly unstable/laggy / inefficent under any kind of intensive multivaried cpu load in windows.

I saw an interesting post on a reddit forum. This indivdual described the issue i am having perfectly. He said the folllowing…

"I’m kinda confused. My new system with the Threadripper 5995 can’t produce a smooth framerate in Windows, just moving stuff around is nauseating. It does fine in games, until it comes to high framerates where it stutters and temporarily stalls framerates to the low 30s. Periodically with no apparent reason.

Someone suggested the fTPU might be causing it so I switched to the discreet TPU, same result.

It’s in 8 channel memory mode with 512GB installed.

What?

I don’t even know what I’m asking here. I’m dumbfounded. Any suggestions?"

Like he says above. In games its fine except at random poitns were it may drop. Sometimes simply dragging windows around can be a nauseating if windows is busy thinking about something. It just sounds exactly like my issue. This was his solution that fixed the issue for him. He says:

"Here to clear this up again. I hate leaving posts without conclusions.

Sooooooo… actually the whole thing was caused by the Motherboard’s ‘BMC’ feature. The layer under the whole machine, for KVm access etc. It was also the cause of the kinda weird PCI communication issues I was having.

Disabling BMC has completely fixed the machine."

This post made me excited so i disabled the BMC on my board. The issue still remains. Now i do want to make an important distincttion . This guy has the Asus sage motherboard and apparently that board has a physical switches to disable the bmc and other features which i was aware of when i had the board. From what i can tell i can only do it in bios with the asrock creactor board. I had the sage but never tested disabling the BMC with the switches unfotunately to see if that would make things run better in windows.

I am going to get a hold of my logs and send them to you along with a video dispalying the issues @wendell

I do not really know what i am going to do about this system. I know that this is the only system that is cable of doing the many things that i do in one place. This has all been very overwhelming , costly of my time and money and exahusting. I do appreciate all the help you @wendell and the rest of the forum has offered. Very much appreciated.

When you disable the bmc you need to pull power for the motherboard for 1 minute. Bmc is always on.

Since I have the same board just a basic steps to reproduce things would be handy also.

As far as basic steps to reproduce things that shouldn’t be too hard

Have at least 2 nvme drives in your computer. Processor and w.e amount of ram you want. Psu. Install Windows 11. From there start transfering large amounts of data from one drive to another in windows. I have a lot of obs videos from streams ive recorded. its about 200gb. You can copy those from the d drive and paste them to c and vice versa. It might give you good speeds for a while but see what happens after a few times of copying this data back and forth.

For me, speeds eventually drop and the system gets sluggish and laggy pretty quickly. Then you can do other things. Run obs and stream while playing a game. See what kind of performace you get.

Hmm, something new is clicking in my brain.

is this maybe just the normal slc cache of the drives themselves running out?

Do you have another system… any other system? you can repeat this test in?

If you told us what specific nvme drives you have, I am missing it… what specific drives do you have? and I can look up their specific write cache size.

take a look at this graph… just after 250gb is written the performance does down to… ~50mb/sec.

Might also be worth getting hwinfo64 and double checking drive temps. that’ll also throttle writes.

If you copy 200gb and then don’t wait quite a while… before copying another 200gb… the slc cache is not ready to receive another 200gb so it will slow down much much sooner. 200gb is an arbitrary number. some drives are way less. some are a bit more. Typically it’s around 10-15% of the free unused space on the drive. The fuller the drive the more exaggerated the effect.

1 Like

NVME DRAM less drives tends to be cheap but for a reason, they can crawl just like cheap SATA SSDs.