ASRock WRX80 Creator R2.0

I just took a look at BIOS and there’s no such option available in BIOS. That said long time ago I asked ASRock for x8/x8 bifurcation on old x399 board and they just sent me modified BIOS build after few weeks so I believe soneone could just ask support for that. They seem to be really cool guys.

there is not much you can do to optimize here. since it is by design (from asrock)

multimeter is just to verify the claim it’s a power issue.

sounds cool. asus ignored my request for a 844 bios (it’s their turn to take the shame after asrock took the shame for bad power deliver design)

There’s no space on the IO shield for the VGA connector. But the motherboard includes a VGA connector bracket that you can put into one of the PCI slots and connect to VGA header on the motherboard.

The connectors are facing downwards so that you can insert a 2 / 3 slot GPU in PCIe slot 7 and let it hang of the motherboard and still be able to connect the cabes to the downward facing headers.

1 Like

My 5975wx CPU arrives in. Few hrs… Tracking says "out for delivery " can’t wait

I was able to borrow a Radeon Pro W5500 with a dedicated 6-pin power connector and swap it with the Radeon RX460. So now there are only two GPUs (2x GTX 1050 Ti) passively powered by the PCIe slots. Interestingly the Q-code has changed. It straight up goes to 94 and sits there forever.

According to this thread. 94 means:

94 - PCI Bus Enumeration 32

Just to confirm

So you are able to boot
CX3 + 4GPU
CX3 + 3GPU + 2008

Stuck at 94
CX3 + 3GPU + 2008 + W5500

If not, it would be better to make a table and list combinations tried and then logically analyze it.

Maybe something like this could help solve the power issue, as the daughter board has a separate 6 pin power connector. Though you would only have 8x PCIE 3.x bandwith.

But 94 - PCI Bus Enumeration 32 might be something completely else.

I haven’t used this riser setup. My attempt to use a different bifurcated riser (daughter board didn’t had separate power) wasn’t that successfull, I got one card barely running with a lot of PCIe errors and the other card was not detected at all. I solved it now differently.

Thanks for the recommendation but this is to expensive in order to workaround for a flaw caused by the manifacture in the first place.

1 Like

There is another issue with the board. The onboard VGA will not be respected as primary graphics if I also connect a HDMI dummy plug for any of the GPUs even though I selected the VGA as primary in the BIOS. This makes the feature essentially useless and I’m unable to use the KVM remote control.

I’m running proxmox and as far as I know there is no way to bind the framebuffer only to the ASPEED Graphics VGA in order to get a console for the KVM. I will have to add nofb nomodeset video=vesafb:off video=efifb:off to kernel options to get GPU passthrough working at all but then I have no framebuffer.

It gets even worse if I disable the onboard VGA and select PCIe as primary graphics I still can’t use the KVM because the framebuffer of the primary GPU will not be copied to the KVM.

This is a great suggestion I will do a table.

Can someone check for me if memtest86 works 100% on this board either v1 or 2. Mine gets stuck on startup “collecting memory controller info…”

R2.0 is OOS now. Strange.

Newegg was the only retailer that seemed to be selling this R2.0 board. Early last week, I placed an order for one. At the time, the Newegg website said “Release Date 10/28/2022”. It did not say “pre-order”, I was able to add to cart and order normally. I had assumed Newegg had stock and was going to ship on 10/28.

Come 10/28, I noticed mine wasn’t shipped yet, so I called in to Newegg to see about the delay. They said they’re not shipping the boards yet. Not only that, they haven’t even received any stock from the distributors! When I asked when stock would be available, they said they have no concrete date. Could be 1 month, could be 6 months from now. Essentially I was told my order was only a “pre-order” and I had to wait indefinitely… I have all the other parts, I was just waiting on this board to complete my build.

Man, what a bait & switch from Newegg! Why put “Release Date 10/28/22” and accept orders if they don’t even have any stock to release on that day? I don’t think you can call it a “pre-order” if there’s no concrete release date. At this point it’s a Kickstarter campaign. :face_exhaling: I think after I called in, they changed their system to stop accepting new orders they can’t fulfill anytime soon, hence why it now says “Out of Stock”.

I talked with a local computer retailer and they said they could special order the board for me. But it won’t come in until end of Dec or Jan 2023. At least they were being honest with me about their timeline. Not sure what to do at this point, need a board, but there’s no good viable options for sWRX8 anymore. Will a Threadripper Pro 5000 series CPU work with a generic socket SP3 board for EPYC?

Maybe ASRock realized how much backlash it created lol

No — it will physically fit and the pinout is largely the same, but the design intentions and enabled functionality are different. Threadripper is designed for use with a chipset, while EPYC is chipsetless and has additional management ports; the memory controllers have different signaling enabled; etc. The combination won’t boot out of the box and is not supported by anyone.

I have seen some reports of people hacking bits of firmware together to get particular 3000 series TR Pros to boot on particular EPYC Rome boards, just for experimentation’s sake, but that’s about it.

1 Like

You can try to find someone mod the bios for you. I’ve heard story about people using 3975WX on H12/H11SSL. Maybe I am wrong. But it’s just add a AGESA uefi module to the bios. (easier said then done.) But actually if you have a progremmer and tinker about UEFI tools.

Right now it seems that ASUS is still the best one to go. This is a workstation, Full tower or 2U/4U. So EEB is not issue.

As for thunderbolt, just buy a titan ridge and short the pins, it works.

As for VGA and IPMI eth, probably just eat it. Don’t use them often, but it works.

7T83 7V83 7763 is actually cheaper than 5995WX (sometimes even cheapter or similart to 5975WX) if you know where to find it and risk a bit.

stucks for very long (maybe 10-15mins). Try to disconnect all things and try. Was able to run the test eventually.

https://www.memtest86.com/downloads