ASRock Rack has created the first AM4 socket server boards, X470D4U, X470D4U2-2T

Having the same issue as you but with an WX4100 radeon GPU. Did you ever resolve it?

For those of you running this with Unraid, hows it been going? Thinking of using this with my current 2700 (or a 3600 for 128GB RAM). Just unsure because I’ve been reading Ryzen and Unraid don’t always play nice together.

Another question, if all 3 PCIe slots are occupied (sfp+, HBA, m.2 expander) can you still use bifurcation in the main x16 slot, I know it’ll run at x8 but will it split to x4/x4? I wanna run a couple of M.2s and not have to use the ports on the board.

Thanks.

I need some advice on this board. I currently have this x470D4U and 5700g cpu. I want to upgrade the board to x570D4U and 5950x cpu. I have os (ubuntu 22 lts server) installed on two 980 pro running on software raid 1. If i change the mobo and cpu, will i need to fresh install os? will there be any performance penalty if i don’t?

Replace the hardware, then run:

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
1 Like

I got 2 questions for this board…

First off: Is it possible to have the IPMI management port be accessible for the OS too? This would only be temporary, just wanna set it up until I do the cabling. Is that the bonding setting in the IPMI Network config?

Second: Is anyone else having issues accessing the IPMI KVM via Chromium (or possibly only Vivaldi?). It’s working fine in Firefox, but when I open it in Vivaldi it just shows a blank page. In the Dev Tools there’s 2 errors about unauthorised access :thinking:

You can just hook up the IPMI NIC to the same network switch and VLAN as your regular NIC and then you can access it from the same machine…?

Or am I having a Biden moment?

My two X470D4U models are going through a “clean & renew” ritual soon, then I can check them again with the latest BIOS/IPMI Firmware versions. Be sure to replace your CMOS batteries!

ASrock Rack has stuff lazing around on their servers that is in dire need of testing:

I only have one cable here where I’m setting it up, it’s gonna go somewhere else where it’s gonna have 3 proper cables.

I was feeling like a lucky punk so I tried the new BIOS and BMC firmware versions that can somehow be obtained on a spare motherboard:

BIOS 4.28 - Finally AGESA 120A with the latest security updates so far

BMC 03.04.04

Prior to taking the plunge I…

• Disconnected the PSU from the wall socket
  • Removed & changed the old CMOS battery out for a new one
  • Loaded BMC factory defaults
  • Updated to the correct system date & time

So far everything seems okay :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh yeah update on this… soo as it turns out apparently the “normal” 2 LAN ports are also able to access the IPMI by default…

The reason I was asking was because when I put the motherboard in apparently the small latches on the IO shield got bent down so they were blocking the LAN ports :facepalm: But I resolved that since so now I can just use the regular ports.

Can anyone help me remember something about the X470D4U?

• The motherboard has 8 regular SATA ports
  • 6 come from the X470 chipset, 2 via an additional ASMedia chip
  • You can use a 7th SATA port from the X470 chipset by using an M.2 SATA adapter out of one of the M.2 ports that supports PCIe as well as SATA

Question: Is there a way to access the X470 chipset’s (theoretically available) 8th SATA port?

You can find M.2 PCIe to SATA (4-6 ports is quite common) adapter on Aliexpress, but I’m not sure they work on the X470D4U as I’ve never tried (for lack of said adapter).

As for that 8th SATA port, IIRC it’s connected to the SATA M.2 socket, so not available as standard SATA port.

1 Like

Should have been more clear:

I was specifically looking for a way to (hopefully) be able to use the 8th X470 chipset SATA port with a dumb physical adapter (similar to the the one from the one M.2 slot that also supports SATA) without adding another PCIe HBA, even if it comes in an M.2 form factor.

Has anyone had the chance to check if maybe both M.2 slots support SATA and ASRock Rack’s documentation is just incorrect?

Jesus Christ, what a great design decision by ASRock Rack.

Is this properly disabled with the unchecking of the box in the IPMI web interface under Settings > Network Settings > Network Bond Configuration?

No idea, I haven’t tried and I don’t wanna turn it off just to then be unable to reach my IPMI :stuck_out_tongue:

Did you ever get the onboard gpu working? I have the exact same problem with this board and my 5650GE. Searching has brought no answers :frowning:

Did you get rid of the “System Firmware Progress Error - Asserted” ?

I have it with my 2600x and don’t know if it’s something to address or not. The system seems to work, but I don’t like error messages in logs.

• Firmware Information
    BMC Firmware Version|2.20.00|
    BIOS Firmware Version|P3.50|
    PSP Firmware Version|0.9.0.77|
    Microcode Version|0800820d|

I honestly hadn’t checked until now but…

17	09/04/2023, 18:05:29	BIOS	System Firmware Progress	Error - Asserted

The system was running for a couple days just fine though :person_shrugging:

Details on it:

ID Record Type Time Stamp GenID(Low) GenID(High) EvMRev Sensor Type Sensor # EvtDir Type Event Data1 Event Data2 Event Data3
0011h 02h 64f60049h 01h 00h 04h 0fh 00h 6fh c0h 03h ffh

Event Data1 Error
Event Data2 Unrecoverable hard-disk/ATAPI/IDE device failure
Event Data3 N/A

I think that might have been the time where I put my M.2->SATA-plug adapter in the wrong M.2 slot tho lol

Does that mean that you can practically confirm that simple passive M.2>SATA port adapters only work in one M.2 slot of the X470D4U?

Obviously because only one of them has a SATA interface :thinking: The other one is PCIe only.

From the website:

Other PCIe Expansion Connectors
M.2 slot 2 (2242/2260/2280/22110, supports SATA 6Gb/s or PCIe3.0 x2 and supports PCIe2.0 x4 only)

The wording is a little weird but “SATA/PCIe3.0 x2” is the one slot and “PCIe2.0 x4 only” is the other, it’s in the manual too.

1 Like

M2_1 is the PCIe 2.0 x4 slot and can’t do SATA, M2_2 can do SATA with a passive converter.

Fun fact: you can actually use 2 SATA ports on the M2_2 connector with a custom-made converter. I posted about this checks calendar 2 years ago! It’s been working rock solid for me.

2 Likes