ASRock Rack has created the first AM4 socket server boards, X470D4U, X470D4U2-2T

I have checked it, but there is the driver from amd directly.

AMD doesnt make the nic or vga driver

Even if you managed to get it to run windows 7, youd be running out of date drivers that would only reduce your performance anyway. Seriously, whatever reason you have for using 7, its time to move on. Whatever you think is wrong with 10 is probably misinformation.

2 Likes

I am happy to discuss it but that’s another and long conversation. I assure you that I have checked all the angles on this matter and I am ok using win7, even with out of date drivers. I just want to be sure if X470D4U2-2T is woing to accept win7. Nic and vga already have win7 drivers. The only broblem MIGHT be the lack of ps/2 keyboard mouse port and I don’t know if I can workaround this with a ps/2 to pcie adapter.

I dont know of any such adapter that exists.

1 Like

Not just that, Microsoft did not support Ryzen at all on Windows 7 even when it came out.
There were hacks around it, but it was not stable.

Either way, noone is going to be able to tell definitively because noone uses an ancient OS for an up-to-date platform.
Try it out and report back I guess.

I can’t help but think this is the wrong board for that anyway.

1 Like

I want a build around 3700x and 3950x later with gskill 32gb c14. My without-change requirements are:

2x gpus @ x8 x8
m-atx mobo only
win7 support

this mobo seems the only that does the first two and the third judging by the chipset. What worries me is the vrms and power delivery that seems weak for 3950x and the ram support for non ecc is dubious…

Of course I am going to post the results if I get it, but it’s one shot due to budget…

I realize this post is old, but if you’ll still read it:

I paired a Ryzen 5 2600 with Crucial Memory on this board, and I noticed something quite like what you describe. (A more detailed post is earlier in the thread)

Well on an off chance, I tried the 2600 & the Crucial memory in another B450 board, and I got the very same behavior. So, the issue was down to the particular pairing of the 2600 and the Crucial memory that I was trying to use.

In the end I went away and bought Samsung branded OEM memory from ASRock’s QVL list on their website for this board. The system has been very solid since (I’m running Debian Buster on it now, and I’ve about 6 weeks uptime as I type now).

Have you tried out different memory?

Hi there,

I’m thinking of using the exact same cooler and board you have. Just out of curiosity, were you able to install RAM in the slot closest to the CPU cooler? Are they ECC or NON-ECC modules? Reason I ask is, I want to build a router system and I wont be using ECC RAM modules since for a firewall operation I don’t really need it. And usually ECC Ram is slightly thicker.

Second, I am not sure what you mean by you add to rotate 180 degrees the heatsink? I’m looking at the picture of the board and it is held in place by 2 screws. How did you manage to make it stay there ? I mean even with 3M tapes that must not be too secure?

No issues with memory clearance, that part was always okay and yes my units are ECC sticks. It was the heatsink over the mosfets that I had to unscrew, flip it around and screw it back on. Either way the orientation, it will be equally as ā€œsecureā€ since the part of the heatsink that hangs over the caps doesn’t actually make any contact.

It will become quickly apparent what I mean when you go to install the CPU cooler and you see the heatpipe of the cooler slightly hitting that heatsink, then flipping the heatsink will make sense. When you unscrew the heatsink with the two screws, and rotate it 180, the screw holes still line back up and the thermal tape is still perfectly over the mosfets, so just screw it back down.

That is amazing news! Thank you very much for replying and the info!

I have another question for you. How are your thermals with that cooler? I’ve heard a lot of people complaining about 80 C idling with that CPU cooler? I wonder if you could confirm?

Ah, good question. When I started my build I had a 3700X in there, but noticed my unraid server would go up in the 80’s while converting with handbrake. Even though I also have it in a 2U chassis with 4 x intake fans and 2 x exhaust. I have since dropped it down to a 3600X, and it’s completely happy. Low 30’s at idle and ramps up to maybe 50 during load.

I see, so a 3700X really isn’t going to cut it for that FAN and there isn’t many choices of fans for a 2U case. So I guess 3600X it will be. I wanted to go for a 3700X since I want to install Proxmox on it, dedicate 2 core to it, 4 other cores for Nethserver and 2 others for PLEX (just experimenting). Just to be clear, Proxmox would host 2 VMs, one for Plex, one for NethServer.

So I guess I have to reevaluate my options…

I’m doing similar, unraid running plex, about 8 other dockers, 3 x vm’s etc… and the 3600X is working fine.

And yes, if you want to run a 3700X, the little Noctua is not going to cut it.

Well, I will say this actually. I did buy a couple small 1U water coolers with AM4 brackets, but I never got a chance to test them yet. I think that may be able to tame the 3700X? But I can’t test anymore since I no longer have the 3700X.

Hmm then perhaps I will be fine. I see you have a lot of fans in your case. Originally was thinking of going with the RSV-Z2700. Only has 2 intake fans. What 2U case are you using?

One of these: https://www.newegg.com/black-supermicro-cse-825tq-563lpb/p/N82E16811152478?Item=N82E16811152478 (only the redundant PSU model)

Thanks for the link. What is the 1U cooler you are mentioning? Have link for that? I am interested.